VRML TOS Enterprise

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by BrookeStephen, Mar 7, 2009.

1. BrookeStephen

BrookeStephen Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Here's some pics to describe the point: one from each source - Franz Joseph, the film miniature and my model.

You can see just how high up the side the impulse cowl starts:
    [​IMG]

Here's coroboration with the filming miniature:
    [​IMG]

And my model - which doesn't start even as high as the other two!
    [​IMG]

2. TIN_MAN

TIN_MAN Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This one isn't as bad as it first seems, FJ was aware of it, and his solution was to raise the floor of the engineering room slightly. If you look at his cutaway closely you can see where the main floor is slightly higher than the entry foyer, requireing a 'step' where they meet. But this really wasn't necessary, as the size and depth of FJ's impulse cowling is slightly smaller than it is on the filming model, which creates this problem, so this is a case where the original "correct" external spec's work better with his internal arrangement than his own (external) version! Go figure?

3. TIN_MAN

GaaH! you posted while I was posting! Still I think the original works better, Since the whole cowling or housing is deeper? Compare with the Casimiro and/or Sinclair drawings over at cygnus-x1. And if all else fails, tweak the hell out of it!

4. BrookeStephen

Aye sir - tweaking!

5. TIN_MAN

How's the tweaking coming along? What about the insides of the nacelles, are you gonna use Mandel's blueprints to make a "complete" virtual "E"? Inquireing minds want to Know.

6. BrookeStephen

OK...
    I have NO idea what you're talkin about!
    And I love Star Trek too... go figure!

7. BrookeStephen

BTW - how do I fix the links on this page that I just broke?

8. TIN_MAN

Geoffrey Mandell did a sheet of blueprints for the interior of the nacelles, partly based on scenes from the animated series, but worked out somewhat more logicly. These were later sometimes added to the FJ plans to 'complete' them, as was the idea, I guess? You can find them Cygnus-x1.net, (with FJ's plans). ...as for fixing your links, can't help you there.:( I'm stiil figuring out haw to use my computer, and Im about 10 to 15 years behind everybody else.:lol:

9. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

It should be noted that Geoffrey Mandel's nacelle blueprint is in no official way connected with FJ's blueprints, although it certainly looks like a suitable complement to FJ's drawings.

10. BrookeStephen

OK - gotcha - found the Mandel Contribution hitch-hiking along with the FJ blueprints I got from Cygnus! I hadn't really taken a hard look at his plans, but now that I have I must admit I'm alittle confused... it's not exactly crew cabins up there in the nacelle, so it's difficult for me to figure out in 3d just what Mr Mandel is trying to represent in 2d... if ya know what I mean... I'm looking for a frame of reference...

Anyways... thought I'd show you my initial work on the "Cutaway VRML TOS Enterprise"

[​IMG]

This is just the primary hull, and there's no walls yet, but you can see the turbolift tube - you don't usually get to see cutaway models from this angle - it's usually only orthographic - thought you guys might get a kick out of it!

So who wants to build their own models?
    Come on... don't be shy... who wants to be my apprentice?
    Moo-ha-ha-ha! [evil sith laugh alert!]

11. FalTorPan

That's a fun model, man. Have you seen some of the 3D work of the Spacestation K7 people?

12. BrookeStephen

Here's another pic of my progress in building a "Cutaway" TOS Enterprise in VRML.

[​IMG]

You can see the engine room - I'm working on deck 7.

13. BrookeStephen

Here's another pic of my progress in building a "Cutaway" TOS Enterprise in VRML.
    [​IMG]
    Deck 7 is complete

14. BrookeStephen

Well, here's some more pics of my VRML TOS Enterprise, deck by deck...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Would you like to see more? Just let me know!!

15. TIN_MAN

Definately let's see more! :drool: Long time no post, the reports of you're death were greatly exagerated!

16. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

BrookeStephen, where did you get your version of the VRML software to build these decks? Can you provide a link?
    Thanks.

17. BrookeStephen

Hey TowerPower;
    I'm sorry to be so unhelpful, but I use Notepad.exe and the calculator.exe and a piece of blank paper to design the shapes I want. That's all.

There's no VRML software that I use.

I finally did get smart and built an MS Access database containing tables for all the parameters (walls, doors, etc) and programs in Visual Basic for building the .VRML files instead of using Notepad.exe.

Lately I'm trying to solve all the puzzles and build the "Ship of Riddles" (Star Wars Millennium Falcon)

Do you want VRML lessons?

18. FalTorPan

I miss Robert Brown's old "Ship of Riddles" site.

19. TowerPower

TowerPower Commander Red Shirt

BrookeStephen,
    I don't want to sidetrack this topic, but yes I'd like to see how you generate those images using the tools you mentioned. I'm completely lost.
    Can you tell me how to get started or do you have a link to lessons?

And I too have looked at the Falcon Riddles page - interesting.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2009
  20. BrookeStephen

Well, there are interactive tutorials on the internet, like for example:
    http://www.lighthouse3d.com/vrml/tutorial/

I've gone through this one. The IndexedFaceSet is the VRML node that I use the most. Pay particular attention to this one. You define a color, set the IndexedFaceSet to that color, then put in the points and then the indexes to the points to make planes: put this in a file with .VRML at the end of the file name...

#VRML V2.0 utf8
    DEF carpetgrey Appearance { material Material { ambientIntensity 1 diffuseColor 0.58823 0.70588 0.77255 emissiveColor 0.2 0.2 0.2}}
    #ground
    Shape { appearance USE carpetgrey geometry IndexedFaceSet { ccw FALSE creaseAngle 0.2 convex FALSE coord Coordinate { point [
    40 -4.248 -40
    40 -4.428 40
    -40 -4.248 40
    -40 -4.248 -40
    ]} coordIndex [
    0 1 2 3 -1
    ]}}

You'll need to install a VRML rendering engine to see the file as a big square on the ground, but it's the beginning of everything... you can make any bunch of points into planar components of a large shape, using this construct.

The renderer I use is from http://www.bitmanagement.de/

So now you know my secret!
    Don't TELL anyone ELSE!!!