Heroes 3x25 "An Invisible Thread" Discuss and Grade (SEASON FINALE)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Apr 27, 2009.

?

Grade the episode

1. Excellent

24.4%
  2. Above Average

29.3%
  3. Average

22.0%
  4. Below Average

17.1%
  5. Poor

7.3%
  1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Re: Heroes 3x25 "An Invisible Thread" Discuss and Grade (SEASON FINALE

The President impersonation bit caught me off guard. Peter finally showing the brains the rest of his family has.

I had a feeling what would happen when I saw the previews and Matt was being asked to do something he was concerned about.

2. Gertch

Gertch Admiral

It's a convenient card to keep up their sleeve.

Oh no, the wet bandits strike again.

3. Daneel

Daneel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't think you'll get too many people betting against that. :lol:

4. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

Oh parts of it are already resurfacing, awesome.

5. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Maybe they should've done something more akin to the end of "Scanners" where Matt actually took Nathan's mind and put it in Sylar's body. Then we get something more akin to the Angel/Angelus thing where there's a monster just waiting to get out and take (back) the body from Nathan.

As it stands now the "Nathan" we have is just a fake mask.

6. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DISGUSTING!!! DISGUSTING!!! Angela you are a SICK bitch! :scream:
    WHAT ABOUT CLAIRE'S HEALING BLOOD!!!???
    DAMN this show! I...I need to just disconnect myself from this show & completely forget it for the rest of the summer. I am so pissed off right now.:klingon:

Yeah, I'll be back next season, for Pasdar, & for the shit that better hit the fan when Peter & Claire find out. But... GAHHHH!!!!!:klingon:

honestly was he really a better choice to off than Mohinder?:wtf:

GAAAAHHHH!!!!:klingon:

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

What happens when "Nathan" finds out he can't die?

8. Daneel

One thing I'm wondering about is all those extra powers Sylar has -- will they be buried along with his personality? Are there some that can't be controlled, or can they only be used when Sylar wants to use them? Thus, since Sylar thinks he's Nathan, and doesn't know he has these other powers, does that mean he won't inadvertently know an object's complete history when he touches it, or immediately be able to tell when someone's lying to him?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2009
  9. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

How charming. :rolleyes: They finally have the balls to kill someone and they kill off their most intriguing character. So much for Nathan earning any redemption. Why bother writing a redemption storyline? You can't redeem a dead man.

Nathan is dead. Period. You can't play the story. Don't give me this "acquired memories makes you the same person" bull shit. They don't. What a lovely thought....your mother embracing the person who murdered you as you. Being truly replaced. By your murderer. Mommy giving him hugs and kisses. It's so lovely I just puddle up thinking about it. At least they weren't dumb enough to replace Trip with a replica on Enterprise (something I remember railing against back then and I stand by that opinion) but this is even worse--replaced by the guy who slit your throat. Damn.:confused:

So much for the Petrelli brotherly interaction. It's gone. Those bromancers are officially out in the cold. Why--BTW--couldn't Clare's magic blood heal Nathan like it healed Noah? Did the writers forget? Stupid, stupid, stupid. Could have gotten rid of Matt or Hiro or useless Claire or Mohinder but no.....they had to take out Nathan. I don't care if Pasdar isn't fired. It's not the same thing.

If Peter acquires one power at a time, wouldn't he be back to acquiring Clare's power of immortality once he was with her after fighting Sylar.....or is it a touch thing with him? With these lousy writers I can't remember.

They shouldn't be. The first time someone drops him off a building and he heals, I'm thinking Sylar's going to get a bit suspicious. Sylar will reassert himself at some point. It's inevitable. The "ohhhh, it's so cool factor" is going to fade once viewers start asking themselves, "Why can't Sylar do this or that?"

I could have gotten into this storyline if it had been Claire Sylar replaced. That would have kicked ASS. All the fanboys care about is having Hayden's perky little body prancing around. They're not concerned with character.

Melancholymecha, I think Fuller got a touch of Bermaga writing finale-itis. Angela giving Sylar a big old hug at the end was more cringeworthy than Malcolm bitching about a chair two days after Trip's death. That's saying something when you top that. If Angela was so concerned about "Nathan" talking to the president she could have had Matt change him.....but the problem is that she should have had someone off Sylar after he did his work with the president. The idea of embracing her son's murderer as her son should be reprehensible to her. More bad writing.

10. Daneel

Indeed -- I mentioned the same thing in my first post in the thread. It's my main complaint in an otherwise serviceable episode, IMO.

I think Peter can now control his power a bit better... that is to say, he can choose whether or not to take someone's power when he touches them -- but yes, he does have to touch them.

11. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

that was DISGUSTING!!! JUST so WRONG!!! I kept shaking my head, how could she!!!:wtf:

someone mentioned on another board...they didnt show what they did to Nathan's body... I hope its in cold storage, & Peter gets zombifying powers so Nathan can come back from the dead, and TEAR HIS "MA" A NEW ASSHOLE!:klingon::klingon::klingon:

12. Dorian Thompson

That's the thing, Daneel. Eventually Peter is going to touch Sylar. Peter and his brother were always touchy feely. Eventually they're going to have to deal with the fact that Nathan's dead. They can't keep this scenario up forever. The storyline concept is intriguing in theory but not in practice. Why are sci-fi writers so into replacing people with clones? Ron Moore's right. It is ghetto storytelling in the sci-fi world.

Why why why is it always my favorite character who bites the big one? Arrrrrrghhh......whine pout moan..... :D I'll get over it. I just need to bitch and moan for awhile. Couldn't kill off Claire. Couldn't kill off stupid Peter. Couldn't kill off stupider to the ten thousandth power Mohinder. Couldn't kill off so annoying I want to kill him Hiro. No, it had to be Nathan. :rolleyes:

Melancholymecha, you need to come over to my threads on Thursdays and be a Supernatural fan. There's a show that values its core brotherly relationship and then some. No danger of one of them being replaced permanently by an evil clone. Dean and Sam live....and they actually fight and everything. No Dean 2.0. No Sam 2.0 :lol: Leaves Nathan and Peter in the dust.

13. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I thought they burned him and Matt gave the perception of Sylar's body being burned. NVM

How they bring back the real nathan who had his neck slit will be interesting

Then there's Tracy who will go after Sylar/Nathan

14. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well lets face it Angelia has done some pretty disgusting things so this really shouldn't surprise.

I do wonder how they are going to explain Sylar's powers. WHile it might be awhile before he is put in harms way, Peter will certainly have touched him at some time and should gather all of Sylar's abilities at that time.

15. Dorian Thompson

Mswood, your avatar makes me feel lots better. :bolian: I know you didn't care for Nathan's character and I agree Angela has been pretty reprehensible at times, but to be able to embrace the person who murdered your child--it's too unpalatable for me. :wtf: Even for Angela. Some things just leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Now that I could have gotten behind. That would have been genuinely intriguing.

We have no Nathan now. Nathan's dead. He's not even a fake mask.

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Did Peter somehow take away all of Sylar's powers or something when he touched him? I mean the tranq wouldn't have worked unless Sylar was depowered completely.

17. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Above Average.

This wasn't the game changer that I had expected. This entire season has to rank as one of the most wasteful and pointless ones in tv history. More than 20+ episodes of aimless storytelling lacking any real direction for the characters or the plot with less than interesting characters. You might as well have just ignored the bulk of it because it is clear the writers have. They basically ignored and reset everything this season. It adds up to a whole lot of nothing in the big picture.

Peter is back with multiple abilities but which ones was he able to take from Sylar? If Sylar's ability to understand how things work will he have the dark impulses from volume three? Or will the writers just forget that.

The Company is back. Tracy is back for revenge. Last we saw Danko knocked out. Will he return. This could be interesting or it could be more of the same. The finale really didn't leave a lot of clues as to where individual character stories might go next season so it is hard to judge whether it will be worth coming back to it in season four. Fuller got a chance with six or so episodes to see what he could do and overall I wasn't really that impressed. I suspect it will be more of the same and any promises over the summer for a much improved show will be taken with a hefty grain of salt given how the showrunners promised we'd be floored by volume three then volume four then with Fuller's return.

I was actually disappointed that they didn't go through with Sylar becoming President rather than Peter saving the day and would a tranquilizer not be immediately metabolized by Sylar to where it would be rendered ineffective due to his regeneration abilities-akin to the way Claire couldn't get drunk. And how did Claire free herself from his control? Nitpicks.

As for the big death and the switcheroo--I don't know how I feel about it. Nathan's death was graphic but it didn't stun me or leave me feeling much of anything. I suspect a lot of this can be contributed to the fact that he has pretty much been a plot device for the better part of a year and a very unsympathetic one with no understandable motivation so killing him off carried about as much emotional resonance as a background extra. I also have a hard time buying Sylar would just slash his throat instead of pinning him against the wall and taking his ability. Nathan was hardly a threat to him. All he could do was fly. C'mon.

Angela's done some pretty twisted things but to actually rather have a fake like Sylar being her Nathan stand-in, I'm not sure I totally buy that even for her. I'd be very concerned that Sylar would get his memories back. Why not just have Peter do it unless she thought like she has in the past that he wasn't up to it which is quite possible.

It was a decent enough episode but with the problems that plagued the show it needed to be a lot more than decent. It really needed to sink its teeth into you and having you on the edge of your seat anticipating the show's return in the finale and it really didn't come close for me.

18. Daneel

No, I think the body they burned was the original shape-shifter, the one who died while he was in the form of Sylar.

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Do you suppose next season they'll have some kind of resurrection for the real Nathan and have a "My Two Nathans" style story where it all falls apart with Sylar back? This IS supposed to be a comic book TV show...

20. backstept

backstept Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

it was nice to see Tracy show up again