The 50th special will be feature length...

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, Jul 11, 2013.

1. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

It might get a limited cinema release in some cities outside of the UK, but I suspect even the UK release might be limited.

2. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll be happy with anything over 60 minutes.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

"Well over" an hour probably means 70+ minutes, which is to say well over fitting into an hour broadcast slot. 90 is being overly optimistic I'm afraid. They only had so much time to film and so many pages to work from. Perhaps they can surprise me though.

4. sttngfan1701d

sttngfan1701d Commodore Commodore

If the End of Time was 72 minutes, the 50th needs to be 90 minutes, or at least longer than The End of Time. Give us more than just a "special episode," please. It should be the biggest episode ever. If it were up to me, I would've made it 100 minutes. In a nod to the classic series story length.

5. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

You have to combine it with the show about Wilfelm Hurndell to get the full anniversary programming. It's just the two newest Doctors in the normal episode.

6. Csalem

Csalem Commodore Commodore

7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Which makes sense. It's the longest any production of nu-Who. The End of Time Part 2 is also 75 minutes but after that, Journey's End at 65 minutes and then various Christmas specials 2009 gap year specials at 60 minutes. And I guess 75 is still low enough that they could have squeezed it into the filming window they had.

8. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

I imagine it'll be a 75-minute time slot, with the special (including a Christmas trailer) coming in a few minutes under that. Basically the same length as "Voyage of the Damned," which also shot in four weeks.

9. The Wormhole

Huh, forgot about Voyage of the Damned. Still, nu-Who very rarely goes beyond 75 minutes, unless you count all of The End of Time as one single production, in which case that's 135 minutes. Which is actually pretty close to the six parters of the classic era.

10. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

This is The Sun reporting, so take it with a grain of salt...

A worldwide simulcast on November 23rd for the the anniversary special.

11. The Wormhole

Would such a thing really be practical? Really, I'm not enthralled with the idea. In my time zone, that would mean it would be on at 4:00 PM. I'm rarely if ever home at 4:00 PM, even on weekends.

12. VDCNI

VDCNI Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I suspect if they do that they'll rebroadcast it in a more normal time slot later in the day in those countries where the timing doesn't work that well.

Didn't they do tha with Lost in the UK - first showed it in the middle of the night simulcast with the US as far as I remember then showed it again in peaktime the next evening.

13. The Wormhole

I don't know, maybe I'm missing something but it seems kind of stupid. "Let's broadcast this at an insane hour when no one is going to watch this to avoid spoilers. Then let's re-broadcast this at a more appropriate time when everyone's watching TV."

As long as the broadcast on the same day, there's a slim chance of people looking up spoilers anyway. Yes, I'll admit, an hour before the season 7 episodes aired I'd go online and look up spoilers from the UK anyway, but that was only because I really am impatient. I doubt everyone is that impatient, even with a landmark episode like this.

14. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Since BBC one doesn't have commercials the BBC airing will slowly be ahead of the BBC america showing.

So the BBC will know the ending before BBC America regardless.

15. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

Unless the 3pm (EST) airing is commercial free. Then the normal time airing has commercials.

16. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ummh. 8pm seems a bit late, particularly if it's more than an hour long (kids up past 9pm!), but if they are simulcasting they'll abandon the normal rules of thumb.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, there is probably truth to the worldwide simulcast story as Doctor Who News, the sister site to Gallifrey Base, who won't post anything without the BBC's say-so, is reporting on the worldwide simulcast story.

The one thing they don't report is what time it will be broadcast. The BBC does love to play its scheduling games so. :)

18. The Wormhole

I know it's standard procedure for channels in the UK to not set their schedules in stone until two weeks or so in advance, but that's not really going to fly with a worldwide simulcast. After all, other countries set their schedules sooner. Most American channels it's a month in advance at least. Hell, the big networks have already announced the fall premiere dates for most of their shows. Trying to plan this to meet everyone's deadlines will be enough of a pain in the ass. I don't know, sounds gimmicky. IMO, same day broadcast with everyone airing at a convenient enough time is the best way to do this.

19. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The 100th anniversary will be a holodeck simulation ;).

20. The Wormhole

Which will piss fans off. "Bah, holodeck's are such a gimmick. I wish this fad would just fade away so we can go back to old-fashion 3-D." "The technology now exists to create realistic simulations of anyone, even dead people, and they still left out the original eight Doctors?" "I am so sick of the damn Daleks, it's just gotten worse since they entered the public domain."

Yeah, I know the last one isn't about holodecks. But I figure fandom will still be bitching about them, well, always.