Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. GameOn

GameOn Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's listed under the episode "The Most Toys" below the options to "Play episode" and "Play episode with episodic promo"

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You know, I've never noticed that they used the TOS door sounds during the alternate timeline in Yesterday's Enterprise.

3. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's almost like they were trying really hard to portray how dark this timeline was - "Starfleet have been far too busy developing weaponary to improve on our door sounds."

:lol:

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I skipped around a bit...Tin Man...looks...absolutely...amazing. It's hard to believe they use the same FX elements. Booby Trap left my jaw on the floor. Im also noticing fewer grain isues in season 3 which makes me love the set even more.

RAMA

5. OneBuckFilms

OneBuckFilms Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They kind of mixed it with the TNG sneaker spin sound.

I never noticed it either, but it works great.

So far, I'm loving this season. CBS-D and others are doing us proud here.

6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually, the early third season uniforms were also made of wool gabardine, much like the final version. They switched from spandex after the second season because of complaints from Patrick Stewart and the rest of the cast on how the one-piece was uncomfortable. (They were made a size smaller to keep the smooth lines.)

Blackman was charged with making the uniforms more comfortable, while still maintaining that slim, fitted look. Which is why the early season three uniforms seemed as if they were also made of spandex. The seams and darts, in my opinion, were effective in maintaining that look, whilst still allowing the uniform to be a two-piece. They were changed to the blouser version with spandex belt because the early tunics rode up much more.

Wish they'd found another way to make the early versions work, because the seams and darts really gave the uniform more shape and looked much better on the men. The final version made the men look far bulky (or fatter) than they really were, particularly Jonathan Frakes.

7. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

As I've gone through the set, some episodes look amazing, whilst others such as "A Matter of Perspective" look a tad murky. Although I'm sure it has more to do with how the episode was shot rather than the remastering process.

Grain however is far more balanced than what we had to deal with in season 2.

8. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I watched the Best Buy exclusive content last night. It's amazing the kind of quality they were able to get out of the CGI in 1987.

9. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The wormhole in the price was much better in HD, especially when you see the shuttles enter it.

-Chris

10. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I have the same problem. I didnt find it on that disc either.

11. BillJ

It's with the actual episode not under 'Additional Data'.

12. BillJ

I think Rubinek's version blows Rappaport out of the water.

13. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

You're both right, the grain is finer and more balanced this season due to an upgrade in film stock. I posted this over at Blu-ray.com, but I'll go ahead and repost it here in case anyone's interested:

***​

It's not really anything CBS is doing differently, it goes back to the film stock that was used during production. Season 1 was filmed primarily with Kodak's EASTMAN Color High Speed 5294 400T Negative film which has a rather coarse grain structure overall. I believe Season 2 used 5295 (400T) which was optimized for bluescreen work.

Then in 1989, Kodak introduced their EXR line of stocks to celebrate the 100th Anniversary of Motion Pictures. These stocks had a much finer grain structure compared to what came before (so called T-Grain stocks). Tabular grain stocks were developed by Kodak to standardize the size of the silver halide light sensitive crystals so they all have roughly the same surface to volume ratio. They generally look like flat triangles or hexagons in electron microscope images.

Season 3, in addition to having a new director of photography, Marvin Rush, uses EASTMAN EXR 5296 500T Color Negative film for set interiors. This stock has tabular-shaped crystals in all but the fast yellow layer (a blue sensitive layer). This is why you may see heavier grain in bright blue colors while everything else looks pleasingly fine grained. You can notice this a little in the episode "Yesterday's Enterprise." Marvin Rush put blue gel on the ceiling of the alternate 1701-D bridge. Notice the heavier grain in the blue channel, while the rest looks fine (click the image to enlarge):

[​IMG]

14. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Now I am having no problems at all. I think the problem with with how I had my player.

First time I used it I had my one Blu-ray player hooked up to the tv in my bedroom, no problems. Than I moved it to my much bigger tv in the living. Because it was temporay setup I but it right on top of my DVD player. When I used it here the menu issues had.

So I moved it back to the other tv and no problems again. Could there have been interference from the other player?

15. Maxwell Everett

Interference is very unlikely, but the Blu-ray player may have been overheating. Was the DVD player on at the time underneath it?

16. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Ah thank you. Was rushed yesterday and didn't get a chance for a proper look. :)

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

plugged in but not on. Its working now, maybe it was overheating somehow.

18. Maxwell Everett

One of my Blu-ray players (a Panasonic DMP-BD75) was overheating and acting weird a while ago, sometimes spontaneously turning off in the middle of a movie. I drilled 25 small 1/16 inch holes in the top case right above the AVC decoder chip and heat sink. The problem went away.

I'm not saying you should do this, but if the problem reoccurs, it might be something you may want to consider as long as you're careful and take the cover off before you do anything, of course! :)

19. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Watching the Defector, I love the after the opening credits chase of the scout ship and the Romulan cruiser. The ships in HD look great. The close up of the scout drifting over the Enterprise is really nice. I really wish they followed up on this episode in later seasons maybe when they had Spock on Romulus. The shots at the end with the Enterprise turning into the Romulan ships, is excellent. What Enterprise model was used for the shots in this episode, the details on it really stand out in HD. This is one of my favorite season 3 episodes.

-Chris

20. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

Has the Best Buy exclusive about the CGI found its way to youtube yet?