Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. JRS

JRS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think the TNG-HD idea sounds very nice.
    Obviously the new special effects need to be done darn well, already because I still think that many of TNGs special effects have stood the time very well..and still look good.

I just hope they wont start redesigning all the ships of the show. I want the Romulan warbird, Promellian battlecruiser, Tin Man, Enterprise-C, Stargazer and others to keep their desing..even though they would be made with CGI.
    Replacing the Excelsior-class with some other ship could be a good idea, but I would like to see it still in the show also, at least the USS Hood should stay as Excelsior.

2. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're remembering correctly; however, the four-foot model isn't the same shape as the six-foot, it's chunkier in spots and in general doesn't look as sleek as the ship originally did.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't care for the differences between the 6-footer and the 4-footer. That what makes a TV show a TV show. And in that SOTL image, the creatures look wonderful, but the ship looks horrible.

Just because you can do a thing doesn't mean that you must do a thing. Otherwise we get Greedo shooting first, Jedi Rocks, and Hayden Christensen joining Obiwans and Yoda's ghosts.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I dont the think ENT looks bad actually. All I ask is a fairly accurate model, if the tweak a few things to make it better that's fine too. I want it to look the same no matter what shot its in.

RAMA

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^The window glow is too weak for one thing.

6. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

The problem with that image is that the texture on the E-D is screwed up around the saucer edge, and the specularity is a bit flat and plasticy. Outside of that though the mesh itself seems perfectly acceptable, if maybe a little bit on the low poly side of things. Something akin to that though I have absolutely no objection about.

7. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

The saucer impulse engines shouldn't be glowing red!

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Yeah, they only ever shot new stuff with the 4F model in later years, but I (almost) always hated the proportions of the 4F. (Still looks good from some angles though.)

And of course, the fact that they would cut back and forth between new 4F shots and stock 6F shots only served to highlight the differences. :)

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My problems are that someone went apeshit with the aztecing and where the secondary meets the primary hull looks terrible.

10. JarodRussell

I also hated a few of the episodes they did. Should they change them for the remastered?

11. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Would be great if Ron Jones/McCarthy could rescore the majority of Season 5,6,7 free of Berman imposed restraints!

I have been re-watching much more of the early seasons recently and after picking an episode out of Season 7 for a change I remembered/realised just how awful the neutered music is :(

12. Mark 2000

Mark 2000 Captain Captain

The jelly fish image above looks better than most renders I've seen, but it's main flaw is composition. I was discussing this with someone the other day when looking at renders of Probert's concept for the E-C. I kept wondering why the painting looked so much more solid than the render even though the geometry of the painting was irreconcilable in some ways.

I realized its because in the painting the ship is level. And in being level it has gravity and a sense of weight. In other words, it looks grounded. The render was at an off angle like the E-D is above which makes it look airy and light, like a kite floating in the breeze. It detracts from the mass of the vessel. Save the floaty angles for small ships and fighters. Capital ships should always be horizontally level.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Sure, why not?! :cardie:

...Is your question supposed to imply that any new effects work should mirror the old ones so pefectly that they use two distinctly different CG models? Or is this just a "No new effects work at all!" thing?

14. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

While I get what you're saying, I think this shot from 'Generations' looks awesome:

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/generations/ch10/gen0552.jpg

15. nickyboy

nickyboy Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I always liked that shot as well, I had it on my wall for a few years

16. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not sure if this has been covered in the previous pages, but assuming we all liked what we saw on the test Blu-ray, what would people be prepared to pay for season sets?

On the basic assumption there'd be 7 BR discs per season as per the DVD sets, and that many of us here will already own all 7 seasons on DVD, what realistic price will get people buying on Blu?

17. JarodRussell

My point has been all along that they should re-use the original footage, as they shot the models on film, just composited them on video. So they need to scan the film and re-composit the effects in HD. That way they use as little CG as possible, and keep the show with the original effects intact. Planets, suns, nebulas, shield effects, phasers, torpedoes, explosions, etc... would have to be done with CGI of course (unless they have been filmed, too). But the model work is perfectly fine on HD.

This:
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x03/nakednow001.jpg
    http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/s1/1x01/farpoint1_113.jpg

would turn into this:
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/generationshd/generationshd0978.jpg
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/generationshd/generationshd1421.jpg

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just paid $115 for all 5 seasons of Stargate: Atlantis on Blu-ray from Amazon - that's about $23/season. So... maybe a nice $200 ($29/season) boxed set for the entire series of TNG?

(Farscape will cost me more per season later this year, but... well, they don't have nearly the number of duff episodes that TNG has. ;))

19. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I'm at the upper end of that spectrum. TNG is a must have series for me, having a special significance because it's so nostalgic for me personally. I'd probably pay $80-$100 per season for a decent upgrade. This is about what I paid per season for the DVD sets as they were released.

The market has changed though, and series don't tend to cost that much anymore (recession, and all that).

I would expect it to cost about the same as the TOS remastered sets.

20. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I see no reason why TNG wouldn't be priced similarly to other Blu-Ray TV sets. I paid $50 or so for each of the TOS sets, and I expect the TNG sets to cost about the same.