I made a list of all episodes sorted by air date

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by busfahrer, Apr 6, 2011.

1. busfahrer

busfahrer Cadet Newbie

Hi!

I'm new here, so I hope this is the right place for this:

I only recently began watching Star Trek, and since I want to watch the episodes in the right order (seeing as there is a lot of overlap during TNG/DS9/Voyager), I looked for a list like this, but couldn't find one, so I made one myself :)

A list of all the Star Trek episodes, ordered by their original air date:
    http://startreklist.blogspot.com/
    (The page also contains a list of episodes ordered by star date, if known. Interestingly enough (if you disregard Enterprise for a moment), the episode with the oldest star date is an episode from the animated series)

I hope you guys will find this useful as well! Comments and suggestions are appreciated, of course!

Greetings,
    busfahrer

edit: speeling

2. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thank you! I admire good Excel work!

It appears the stardate system received an overhaul just like the warp scale did.

3. busfahrer

busfahrer Cadet Newbie

My pleasure! However, Excel was not involved. I took the respective episode lists on Wikipedia and hit them with various Linux command line tools until they agreed to voluntarily settle into a MySQL database. From there I could generate the HTML markup for the page :)

Did I get the star dates wrong? As I mentioned in my first post, I'm quite new to Star Trek :)

4. Chang

Chang Admiral Admiral

The stardates look correct

5. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

I would just add that the Star Trek '09 movie occurs on Stardate 2258.42 also all the Trek movies stated their respective Stardates I believe.

6. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

An amazing feat!

7. Rom's Sehlat

Rom's Sehlat Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As Chang said, they look correct. I have no reason to doubt you. But somehow the writers of the shows changed their timeline scale or something.

So you did all that in Linux and MySQL? Wow. I can't even do that stuff in Excel, let alone real programming tools!

8. Tiberius

Tiberius Commodore Commodore

I've been looking for something much like this! A list of all the episodes and movies in watching order.

If you don't mind, I'd like to take this list and do a little bit of rearanging, such as:

• Putting Enterprise first.
    • Putting the Classic trek episodes in production order (as that's the way they were made, and some episodes were held for quite a while before they were aired.)
    • Where possible, putting all parts of multi-part episodes together (to make it easier to follow the story...

Do you mind if I post the finished list in this thread?

9. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

Nobody should ever put Enterprise first.
    ;)

10. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

This, in my opinion, is how one should watch Star Trek to get the most out of it.

I love you.

11. RyuRoots

RyuRoots Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:lol: :bolian:

For a wide variety of reasons, indeed.

12. Tiberius

I like Star trek as a whole. I don't like to say one series is better than another one...

13. HGN2001

HGN2001 Captain Captain

I admire the effort and applaud the list. However, having lived through it, and seeing all of STAR TREK in that order, I have to say that I'm not sold that it is the best way.

The reason is because of how it diminishes DEEP SPACE NINE. That series had exactly half a season - 12 episodes - all by itself, with no other Treks around it concurrently. TOS, TAS, TNG, ENT all had many seasons all by themselves, and VOY had at least two years of being the only Trek in the universe.

(I know that movies interspersed some of these, but those were more singular special events.)

DEEP SPACE NINE never really got a chance to fly on its own, and my memories of watching the shows in those weeks when there were two Treks going, always seemed to diminish the power of DEEP SPACE NINE. I found it a bit of a chore to be forced to watch two episodes in the same week during my busy time working and living life. But I did it - and videotaped every last episode.

It wasn't until years later, when DVDs made it possible to really watch these series again and again that I began to really appreciate how good DEEP SPACE NINE was. Its arcing story lines were no longer interrupted by visits to the Enterprise or Voyager. It stood on its own - and stood very well I might add.

Now, it's also true that DVDs can give a dedicated viewer lots of chances to schedule things any way at all. And if someone wants to watch Trek in its airing order, but compressed into several viewings every evening, then a different perspective could be gathered.

But while I've never tried the compressed, in-order approach, I still recommend letting each series stand on its own. I appreciate the work compiling a list like this, and see it as a valuable reference.

Harry

14. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An excellent piece of work!

One caveat: The air dates for TNG and DS9 are somewhat less than exact. The reason is because those two shows aired in syndication, rather than on a network. Therefore, while they were transmitted out to the stations on the same day and time each week, it was up to each individual station to decide the day and time during the week they would air them. One station might schedule TNG on Thursdays at 8 pm, while another might schedule it for Saturdays at 2 am.

Therefore, the dates listed for TNG and DS9 are really an "aired the week of" date than a specific air date.

15. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's a useful overview of STAR TREK history, all in a nutshell. Thanks. :techman:

16. Tiberius

I've done something similar, except I ordered mine in chronological order in which they are set, so all the multipart episodes are together and Enterprise is first, all the Classic Trek movies come before TNG, etc. There's a link to my one in my signature.

17. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Ensign Newbie

I had done something similar for myself. For the 40th anniversary, I watched all the episodes and movies in airdate order. Suprisingly, I managed to do it in 11.5 months.

18. Tiberius

Impressive. I just did that with my gf, and it took us about two years.

19. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

20. Gone Troppo

Gone Troppo Ensign Newbie

Yeah. It was really difficult when DS9 started. When it's 52 episodes in a season instead of only 26, it seemed to drag. But when I hit VOY s6, I finished up in no time. Oh, an interesting fact. The Way of the Warrior is the approximate half way point.