DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

These guys are entertaining the Hell out of me with stuff like Justice League and Supergirl, far more so than I expect from DC. Some of it reminds me of BTVS, a tv show I loved. Annoying, GL is the one real disappointment. Maybe Johns is putting his focus on JL and that fish guy.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing about Hal in Justice League is that Johns seems to be writing him more annoying than usual. He wasn't this naive or stupid in "Secret Origin" which was the most recently thing in the previous continuity that touched on young Hal. It would also appear that GL and Flash don't know how to keep each other's identities a secret from anyone using first names on a cell phone call during a battle. Real smart Hal.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

He is being stretched too thin. His job as creative officer is taking up most of his time. Writing 4 comics is apparently what he does on weekends and it really shows. The decline in quality between his current material and work on JSA, Titans and early Green Lantern is enormous.

4. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

That was an awful comic and completely misunderstood what the character is or about.

5. Admiral_Young

^ Which Damian or Steph? If you're referring to Damian I disagree. Bryan Q. Miller was trying to get Damian to try and be like a kid and relax a little. I don't think that is a misunderstanding of the character at all. It's evolving him.

6. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's highly likely that JLA GL is supposed to be "Ryan Reynolds" to tie in with what WB/DC thought was going to be a hit movie.

7. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus, I thought that trying to get Damian to embrace fun was a very Stephanie thing to do. Bruce himself pointed out that Steph was the hopeful member of the Bat-family. She naturally would be the kind of person to want to try and get through Damien's shell.

8. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The new Justice League was a huge improvement over the first issue, and just a heckuva lot of fun. Loved seeing Flash mess with Supes like that, and of course the art was spectacular.

And the twist of having Supergirl actually be Superman's older cousin was pretty cool as well, and adds a whole new dynamic to their relationship that I hope gets explored further.

Yeah, as someone who's only recently gotten into GL, I was really hoping to get into the new books. But they just aren't starting from a fresh enough place for my taste.

9. Admiral_Young

@Allyn Gibson Agreed. I kind of looked at her as being the sarcastic older sister who isn't afraid to put Damian in his place. I have enjoyed most of the little snot's interactions with the greater DCU and hope there are more to come. I still think it is time we had another ongoing "Robin" solo. Perhaps after Grant is finished his run they will do this...or they are waiting for the right writer to come along.

10. davejames

That's the impression I get as well, unfortunately what sounds cool and charming coming from Reynolds just seems obnoxious and annoying on the page.

Maybe if they drew him to look more like Reynolds, that might help sell it better...

11. Admiral_Young

^ Agreed. I am starting to think that Geoff has indeed been with the character far too long and needs to hand Hal off to someone else now. Someone fresh and competent as a writer too. His work will be definitive for some like myself who weren't Hal fans and maybe were only familiar with Kyle and John like I was but I feel like "Green Lantern" is starting to stagnate with Geoff continuing on with the book.

One further observation about Justice League #2...as much as I like the Vic Stone sub-story in the book...I can't help but feel like it would be better served as a back up story instead of a sub arc. It reads like it should be a back up story. I know that they're elevating Vic to A-list status and he will be on the main team but I dunno it takes away from the main story of the big players introducing themselves to me.

12. Admiral Buzzkill

I like Hal in JL and I like the way he and Barry relate. I also like that they didn't present this as a first meeting between them - an advantage of the relaunch as opposed to reboot.

All these guys come across as individuals here...kind of like people or something.

13. davejames

Yeah I would have been fine if his Cyborg persona had already been established, but the way they're trying to shoehorn in his origin story just feels distracting.

And they still have to squeeze Wonder Woman and Aquaman into this thing, so I'm feeling like there's already MORE than enough characters to follow. At least at this early stage.

14. Admiral_Young

My guess from the way things have been depicted so far is that they will encounter each other while investigating the boxes (which I'm guessing could be micro boob tubes or tesseracts of somekind) while ruffling each others feathers along the way while learning to work together to solve the crisis at hand. Then after they are together they decide they can work together and form the Justice League. I'm guessing they nominate Superman as their leader and Bruce will give his "Gotham gets my priority but alert me if there is something actually seriously you need my help with and maybe I'll aide you guys" speech. Then the second arc flash forwards to the present and we see how the roster has expanded, etc.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The boxes are Mother Boxes ( as seen in the New Gods) and they do open boomtubes. The ones seen look more like the version used by the Forever People than the cell phone size ones used by others from New Genesis.

16. Admiral_Young

Yep. I temporarily forgot their name when describing in them in my post.

17. davejames

Actually as much as I'm enjoying this new, harder-edged take on Superman, I'm having a hard time imagining him being the "leader" of the Justice League now. He just seems like too much of a loose cannon.

To me, Batman would be the more obvious choice, being clearly the most adult person in the group.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, but this is five years ago.

Still, making Batman the leader would make some sense. Whatever qualities he brings to that would give him something to do besides being the obvious weak link to be stepped on.

19. Admiral Buzzkill

He's a character that I don't know much about, so I'm finding the whole origin thing interesting.

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I think Aquaman should be leader of The Justice League.

I mean, he's pretty much useless so why not let him feel like he's contributing?