President Bacco's Future (Spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Garak has other fish to fry...

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah yes, I remember now.

As for Akaar, I love the guy!!!

3. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

I'd think they'd be more likely to arrange things so she would run again--and win. Bacco's been a dang good president--and I'd think "the security of the Federation" would warrant keeping her.

Megga dittos on that. ;)

But the question is...who WOULD run against her? And on what issues, anyway? "I'll bring Andor back into the UFP"?

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Really, the only thing I'd ever object to with Bacco are her actions in Zero Sum Game.

I seriously doubt Section 31 has the capacity to implement election fraud on this scale. You're talking about trying to rig an election being held on 150-some-odd planets and God-knows how many colonies, ships, and space stations. It's just too large to pull off -- especially if Section 31 wants to keep itself secret.

I can think of a couple of different scenarios for an anti-Bacco candidate, but they all cross into story idea territory.

5. Annorax

Annorax Lieutenant Red Shirt

I could see Bacco deciding on not running for a second term or even running and losing to...
    Asarem Wadeen, running on a platform of bringing Cardassia into the Federation & replacing Akaar with Ben Sisko as commander-in-chief
    & sadly with the Hobus supernova presumably visible on the horizon, that's probably only slightly over the top & beyond any reasonable way the story could play out. [/baseless speculation]

Last edited: Aug 15, 2013
  6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wouldn't mind seeing Bacco stick around for another term. Out of universe she's a great character, and in universe I think she's handled the crap that's happened on her watch about as well as any president could.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Akaar fits his job and the tie in to TOS doesn't hurt.

8. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think Akaar has soften somewhat since he first was installed as Commander-In-Chief, sure he's still a by-the-book hardened person, but if you've read his character since he first became head of Starfleet I do think some development has happened. I'm a big fan of his, and he and Bacco have worked well together I think.

9. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah? What was wrong with that?

1) I was merely responding to the other poster's idea of a "Section 31 presidency" candidate. My argument was only that they would be more likely to support her than some new person. I'd say she's proven her willingness to "do what is necessary".

2) No one was talking about rigging the whole election. There are more than one way to ensure Bacco would win--blackmail of the candidate, flat-out leaks to the press...

Perhaps some spoiler tags are in order...? :)

10. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well. I guess the question of Bacco's future has been answered!

11. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes it is unlikely to be changed.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  12. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

^ Nah, that only seems to happen to characters who originated on a TV show...

(And with R&D being so new, perhaps that should be spoiler coded, as the posting you are responding to is?)

Last edited: Sep 9, 2013
  13. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

Yay, President Bacco got
    re-elected into office
    in Revelation and Dust! :rommie: