Can you skip Fallen Gods?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Nathan, Nov 19, 2012.

1. Nathan

Nathan Commander Red Shirt

I apologize for asking as I loathe the "do you have to read....to understand this...."

I've skimmed Fallen Gods in the bookstore and can't get excited about it. I've read up to Paths of Disharmony.

I just want to go into Brinkmanship and skip Fallen Gods (perhaps when the next Titan book comes out, I'll read Fallen Gods)

Is Fallen Gods more of a Planet of the Week book or is it intergral to Brinkmanship and the upcoming David Mack trilogy.

thanks in advance for your comments.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Fallen Gods is strictly a Titan novel. Brinkmanship is TNG/Aventine. Dave's trilogy is TNG. There's no direct connection among any of them, besides sharing a universe and a general astropolitical background.

3. Nathan

Nathan Commander Red Shirt

Thanks Christopher. I appreciate the answer. Gonna dive into Brinkmanship tonight.

Probably when the next Titan comes out, I'll catch up with Fallen Gods.

4. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well it's certainly not integral to Brinkmanship. I haven't read Cold Equations but given that that trilogy is TNG-based and Fallen Gods is Titan-based, I doubt they have much to do with each other.

Fallen Gods follows up on aspects of Seize the Fire and other aspects of Paths of Disharmony. It's purely Titan, doesn't cross over with anything else, isn't even especially connected to the Typhon Pact business except in the most tangential ways.

On top of that, Fallen Gods does not seem to have been particularly well received, at least judging by this board. Of course one should should always form one's one opinion.

So basically, you're clear to go for it.

Edit: Pipped again! Dammit!

5. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The thing is though.... there's a change that Andorian plot will be picked up in another book. And depending on how the author of that book (IF it will be written) writes it, you might need to read Fallen Gods. But that's all 'if', for all we know that particular plot will be dropped.

6. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

I think Fallen Gods should be taken as from an alternate universe from all the other Titan books. It was lousy.

7. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

AVOID FALLEN GODS like the plague. Enough said.

8. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fallen Gods was mediocre at best. It was marginally better than the previous Titan-centric novel, Seize the Fire. As others have already said, it isn't connected to Brinkmanship at all; they can be ready independent of one another. I haven't started the Cold Equations series yet, but I can't imagine the two stories being connected in any significant way. There is a plot twist introduced in Fallen Gods that ties in with the Andorians. I suspect that this will be expanded up on in a future novel. So there is a connection to the larger Treklit verse and the Typhon Pact-related events that have taken place, but it is the "B" story and not the primary focus.