Looking for Avatar Help? Check here!

Discussion in 'Web Sites/Design' started by Guest, Jul 9, 2003.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

So you want an avatar? But don't know where to host it? Or how to make one so it doesn't violate the BBS rules?

Here are some handy Avatar hints compiled by me and BlazerBoy.
    Remember that you must have 100 posts before you can use an avatar!

Software

As the size of your image is restricted, you'll probably need to crop the image you want to use as your avatar or even convert it to a smaller file type.

There is loads of popular image editing software out there, but if you're stuck and on a windows OS, here are two to try:

Irfranview this is a fantastic fast image viewer, but it lets you crop and convert images too. It's also freeware and an 821.5KB download size.

If you fancy something a bit more advanced that lets you create your own images, try Paint Shop Pro. You can download an evaluation version from the page I just linked to. It's quite large though - almost 60 megabytes.

Hosting Your Avatar

The BBS doesn't let you upload your avatar to our server, for to security reasons and bandwidth worries. So you need to find some web space to host it on.

Most popular free web providers like Geocities, Tripod, Lycos, Bravenet, Freeservers, and Boomspeed among others won't let you remotely link to images - in other words, they won't let an image from their web space show up on some other web page that isn't on their web space: like on our BBS as your avatar. Don't even bother trying to get your avatar hosted there.

Not all is lost though, you can still find places to host your BBS avatar with a minimum of fuss.

Your ISP Most ISP accounts come with an allocation of free web space. This is by far the best place to host your images. Check the details of your agreement with them, or their home page for details of how to use that.

Hypermart, Netfirms, or Virtual Avenue. Same type of thing at each one. Read the user agreement carefully: they may terminate your account without notice for various reasons, but all 3 let you hotlink your images.

Suggestions for more, without bandwidth limits, gratefully accepted.

Ask A Friend

Some nice BBS-ers have web space to spare and are willing to host avatars for people if they get in touch. Try emailling these people and they might be willing to help.
    Email Harkley, or OmahaStar at webmaster@isnanchordesk.com or TimeofNine at timofnine@btinternet.com and ask nicely. If anyone out there is reading this and wants to be added to this volunteer list, get in touch with me or BB and we can add you. PMs are good.

If you've got an avatar question that isn't answered here, ask in this forum. It's what it's here for!

Of course, you have read the FAQ for its Avatar entries first, haven't you? ;)

2. BlazerBoy

BlazerBoy Dangerously Sexy Rear Admiral

Feel free to ask any questions or post any new hosting sites you may have discovered. :)

3. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

4. Anna1

Anna1 Admiral Admiral

5. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

6. Guest

Guest Guest

Hey, I just registered and currently hold a Cadet level (although you can tell that). I created an .gif avatar for myself, resized it to your specifications and found a suitable host (which works). I can see my avatar in my profile, but I cannot see it when I look at my posts. Can anyone else see my avatar? Or is there something I've done wrong?

7. Anna1

Anna1 Admiral Admiral

^You have to have 100 posts before it will appear. You can see it in your profile until then.

8. Cradok

Cradok Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can host avatars for whomever wants them too. Just PM me to arrange it.

9. Koinek

Koinek Vice Admiral Admiral

BTW, if anyone needs an avatar made, just PM me.

10. the_real_adamj

the_real_adamj Vice Admiral Admiral

I also make avatars and host them, feel free to ask. :)

11. BlazerBoy

A mighty thanks to all the big-hearted space givers. It is duly noted and appreciated. :)

12. Angry Angel

Angry Angel Vice Admiral Admiral

cant wait to get one

13. Dathek

Dathek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Digikitten

VillagePhotos

- Hope that helps, both are free however Village Photos has a useage limit so If you host other images as well you could go over this and loss your images for a day...

14. Angry Angel

Villagephotos worked for me was very simple

15. Tomato

Tomato Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HOly crap talk about tight wads here. :rolleyes:

16. Ben Sisko3

Ben Sisko3 Commodore Commodore

I'm having a bit of a problem. I know some of you have said that you make and host avatars; I've tried e-mailing several of you, but I keep getting my e-mails sent back to me. If someone could make this picture (http://ffmedia.ign.com/filmforce/image/deadzone-hall-deboer.jpg) into an 80x80 avatar for me and host it somewhere, and then contact me at Bensisko3@aol.com, I'd greatly appreciate it. Sorry for any inconvenience. Thanks.

17. Angry Angel

really use villagephotos its quite easy

18. BlazerBoy

In the past we have had issues with trolls creating accounts solely for the purpose of causing problems, including using offensive avatars. So, we enforce a 100 post minimum before you can select an avatar. Seems like a pretty good precaution to me.

19. Partsking

Partsking Rear Admiral Rear Admiral