The Walking Dead Season 3

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jul 14, 2012.

1. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think the hint is significantly obtuse, especially when you consider
    at least one poster seems annoyed I didn't spell things out in a complete sentence.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

The amusing thing about season three right now, to me at least, is that the show's timeline has been moved forward and the story is still moving somewhat in the same direction as the comics (in terms of location timing at the least). Here's hoping the interludes between each subsequent season won't involve the characters driving around in circles. ;)

On, in this case, sure, but my previous statement was meant in a general sense for all hints, not solely this specific one (and for all people, including myself, who know details about the comics).

3. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only way to avoid that [or something similar] is to kill off or recast Carl (or, as one site called him, "Anakin" :lol:). Since there is at least a six month gap between when seasons are filmed they need to account for the actor playing him's aging.

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like my Herschel Walker joke will never come to pass, Herschel Limper at best...

5. PsychoPere

Yeah, it's a difficult task for sure. And poor Carl - he's not nearly as bad as Anakin!

6. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

Flesh-eating zombies--sand people--what's the difference?

7. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

The funny thing is that in the comics the timeline initially progressed alot faster than it did in the show. For instance, in the comics, the group sticks around Atlanta for much longer and only really hits the road when winter comes (and after Shane's death). They find the Greene farm and prison in the spring. The TV series gave us a much more drawn out summer and fall and skipped winter entirely. From the perspective of the timeline, they've found the prison right on time.

That said, I do find t odd that the comics are suggesting that only 18 months have passed. I wonder why they slowed down?

8. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Carl's actually improving, imo.

I watched the 4 latest webisodes. Nice.

9. Gotham Central

Another great episode!

I gotta say though, it will be interesting to see how the story progresses. They dispatched the prison survivors pretty quickly, and did so in a much less ambigious way than in the comics. Of course, they also don't have to worry about the sad gruesome fate of the non-existant Green children plus Alan and his family.

On some level its kind of sad that there are not more kids on this show. The ever shifting nature of the family units was one of the more interesting aspects of the comics.

Speaking of kids, I hope that someone has a "who's watching Carl" counter...

10. PsychoPere

Ah, right, I had forgotten how quickly the timeline progressed in the early issues. Looking back at old issues, it seems that Rick woke in late summer in issue #1; by issue #5, winter has started. Looking back at #10, though, they were still in winter when Otis led the group to Hershel's Farm.

The sixteen months bit came from editor Sina Grace in the letters column for #90. I think the comics timeline started slowing down after the survivors reached the prison; that location alone anchored the group for six story arcs (approximately thirty-six issues). As best as I can recall*, there have been relatively few time jumps in between issues since that point.

(* Admittedly, my memory could be pretty off on that - for most of the series' life so far, I've been reading the comics in the big hardcover volumes. A pretty decent amount of time, of course, passes in between each of those volumes. It's only within the last few weeks that I've started reading single issues.)

11. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, that one poster was confused that you seemed to think your "spoiler" applied to a hypothetical future season that inherently diverges from the comics. Yep. quite a leap there. Good catch Sparky!:rolleyes:

As for tonight's episode, it seems that all is right with the world, Carl is back to his old habits and so is Lori.

12. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

At least this time Carl is useful.

13. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Thought I saw the silhouette of a shark circling in the predictable and lamentable "he was coming at me, bro'" moment followed by the sword to the head. It made the moment too damned easy, and allowing the other running black dude to die scene nonsensical.

Still, other than Breaking Bad, and I've not seen Dexter or Homeland this season, this show is way up there in quality.

14. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Probably they want to extend and capitalize on the drama related to Lori's pregnancy. And she cannot be pregnant for 18 months. :)

Great episode. IIRC however most people without meds and modern medicine die form an amuptation. Wasn't the mortality rate of such procedures during the civil war nearly 90% or even higher? So it seems unlikely to me that Herschel without antibiotics and only a belt to stop the bleeding would be able to live.

The execution of the prisoners was necessary. Rick saw the crazy guy was likely a murderer based on his behavior with the zombie's and had to rid the group of the hazards of keeping him around.

I was a little confused however why the young black kid ran? But in the end Rick has completed his transformation from reasonable nice guy to complete survivalist who will do anything to protect the group.

15. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

He ran because he had just attacked Rick with an axe and Rick was about to retaliate.

The bearded guy, didn't catch his name, claimed he was a nonviolent prisoner-- but did anyone notice how many times, and how fiercely, he shanked that zombie in the gut during their "run amok" attack?

I got a good laugh out of how they ignored Every. Single. Thing. Rick's group told them ("We know how to kill a man!"), and Rick's group just stood by watching them, rolling their eyes.

16. Gotham Central

I was under the impression that one of the things that Carl came back with, in addition to bandages, was antibiotics.

As for why the kid ran, well he panicked for one. But, assuming they followed the same dynamic from the comics, the guy was also something of a follower who lost his bearing once his alpha was gone. Plus he figured, that Rick was going to kill him (not an unreasonable assumption given Rick's attitude at that point).

As for the ep, I LOVED it when the prisoners went all "prison riot" on the zombies...and it was totally ineffective...while Rick, Daryl and T-Dog just stood there shaking their heads. :lol:

These guys have come a long way.

Also it was an interesting twist to see the fate of some of the prisoners as civilization fell. It explains why that wing of the prison was much emptier.

As a side note, does anyone else think that from the outside, that place looks less like a penitentiary and more like fortified warehouses with fences? Its too bad that they could not have found some abandoned prison to use for the set. Prisons have more than chanlink fences...they have thick heavy walls, bullet proof glass and thick heavy doors.

17. DarthTom

DarthTom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yea, the whole concept that they were already dead kind of what swoosh over their heads at first.

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm also wondering if there's significance to the fact that Hershel stopped breathing, apparently had no pulse, and had an ambiguous response to resuscitation... then suddenly revived on his own when he probably should not have. Remind you of anyone else we know? Is there a pattern here?

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The scene where Rick kills the lead prisoner is lifted straight from the comic if I recall. While taking the jail in the comic someone (I forget who, need to dig out my books) tries to "accidentally" kill Rick, to much the same results.

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Knowing more about the HOW of the zombie-pocalypse could really help us answer some of that. We've seen a few examples now of wounds that ought to be fatal healing up and people survivng that really shouldn't.

We could talk better to this if we knew it was a super-soldier serum gone bad, which is supposed to repair damage, and DOES so, but the other side of that coin is that upon death, it reanimates it as well. Attempt at cure for cancer, AIDS, whatever, take your pick.

Under those sorts of circumstances, some of the rest of this can start to make more sense, but we don't have a place to start from. Could even justify the whole world being infected by saying that the testing went great, cured stuff, etc. and just no one in the test group had died, so they didn't see the 'other' result until they started putting it out there after years of testing. As long as no one in the test group had died, or died without sustaining brain trauma at least, you'd never know it had the other result, just better healing, cure for X, no side effects.

Without a little insight into the PRE end of the world, hard to say much about what's going on now...