10 new episodes of Arrested Development coming before the movie

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by CommodoreKong, Oct 3, 2011.

1. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Impossible.

What you said was just downright silly.

2. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I'll be that guy.

I don't want this. I don't. I just recently rewatched the show. It still fucking works. It's still brilliant.

That said... just the anticipation ALONE means they have to hit it out of the ball park, at the minimum, for people to like it.

Do we remember the Prequels? The 4th Indiana Jones movie? All hotly anticipated projects and all of them let downs for many fans...

I would rather always wish for more, than get more and be like... "oh, sorta lost the magic Hurwitz?"

3. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know about you, but TPM/AOTC/ROTS did not make me enjoy ANH or ESB any less.

I'd rather that they be allowed to try to wow me with some new Arrested Development than to simply give up for fear I might be disappointed.

4. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

I can see both sides there but yes, I think I'd rather they attempt it than not.

If only they could get rid of Michael Cera somehow. I can't stand that kid or anything he's in, Arrested Development being an exception obviously.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hasn't Justin Bieber suffered from enough criticism on the internet without you saying crazy things in his name? :p Arrested Development was 11,783 times the show that Two and a Half Men is, yet that show gets to run indefinitely for some bizarre reason. So AD deserves another go.

I don't think that this new season, if it gets made, will be able to match up with seasons 1 and 2, but that's largely because those two seasons were so good that I find it hard to imagine any comedy show reaching that level again. But even though they probably wont be able to completely recapture that magic, so long as they can get some of it it will be a worthwhile endeavour. I seriously doubt that they'll screw things up to such an extent that it will damage the legacy of the show, the worst that will happen is that it wont meet people's expectations, which it can't.

6. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Absolutely. And I don't think it did for most people either. Even for those disappointed in the prequels. they were just VERY disappointed in the sequels. That's my point.

And that's fair. But, I feel like as time goes on, as we imagine how great it'll be, it can only be a let down. More than a new comedy that isn't funny. Because you KNOW how great it can be...

It's like Fawlty Towers. This many hours and no more. I admire them for it.

Listen, I hope it's fantastic. I'll be watching. But, if more weren't done, I would be just as happy.

Yeah... he'll be there.

7. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

wait, two and a half men generates a negative amount of laughter. im not sure if your sums hold up.

i never said i hated arrested developement, it just didnt stand out much for me.

8. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I stand corrected, the episodes will be single character centric. That's a real shame. But it sounds like the opening scene of the movie is the family reuniting after being apart for years.

9. OsmiumJohnnycake

OsmiumJohnnycake Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What this makes me think of the most is "webisodes" that would be like a bonus prequel but not necessary for watching the movie. One of the strengths of the show was the pace and editing, bouncing around between different characters/stories.

Has it been confirmed these episodes will be airing on television?

10. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Nope! :rommie:

11. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I love the show but, yes, this is the correct answer. You just can't go home again. Leave it be.

I have the same advice for people who want a third Ghostbusters film.

12. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT. Especially after all this time.

13. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

Apparently Showtime, Netflix, and Hulu are all seeking the rights to air this proposed new mini-season.

14. Geck

Geck Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Please, anyone but Hulu, unless they can find another distributor/broadcaster for outside the US.

15. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

16. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, we'll see how well that works out. :lol: Silly media companies, they accuse piracy of destroying their industry yet they do everything in their power to give pirate sites more ad revenue.

Ah well, it's good to hear that there's a deal in place, that means Mitch Hurwitz doesn't have the luxury of procrastinating any longer.

17. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I'll be concerned if Abraham Higgenbotham, who is currently an executive producer on ABC's Modern Family, isn't involved.

18. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

I could swear I read this thread months ago. :wtf:

But good news that new episodes may actually be happening. This US only distribution is stupid though, they're really shooting themselves in the foot here.

19. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Which is why I hope someone with a brain will someday realize this and stop hogtying themselves by aligning with Netflix or Hulu all the time.

Having recently become a fan of Portia De Rossi by way of Better Off Ted I'm interested in this, but they better announce a DVD/BD release or at least a Canadian broadcast.

Alex

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just because there isn't a foreign distribution plan in place doesn't mean there won't be one. New episodes are at least fifteen months away... be patient.