Time changed... When will it end.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Data Holmes, Nov 3, 2013.

1. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Of course. Why wouldn't I?

2. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

German researchers have found that the human body never adjusts to DST. http://abcnews.go.com/m/story?id=4509150

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

Makes no difference to me. I don't mind it either way.

4. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Given that in the modern world beside (maybe) farmers people waking up and going to sleep has nothing to do with the sun, I call bullshit on that, too.

Considering also that the so-called "standard time" is a completely artificial too. Tallahassee, for example, which is on the same time zone of New York, has a 40 minutes displacement from its "real" time.

EtA: A few quick calculations: the largest displacement for the US is about 1 hour; the Spanish region of Galicia is displaced by 1 hour and half, St Peterburg by 2 hours, and inner China by more than 3 hours.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

You know sometimes I go to work before the sunrises and don't leave until after it's set. But we in many resepcts live in a 24/7 global age. But disregarding the global aspect of it I'm sure you are right many of hours would much rather goto work/school when it is light and return home before it gets dark.

But we all like the conveniance of going to the local supermarket, tanking up the car etc... Yet are less willing to work what is often called the graveyard shift (overnight).

6. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Data isn't going far enough.

No dst, no timezones.

One clock globally.

Fuck the sun.

7. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I've called for a singular global time in the past. I like the idea, but it didn't fly in here.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think a single, global time standard would work. There will always be time zones. It's the concept of DST that isn't needed anymore.

9. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

From the linked article:
    That sounds like a pretty amazing coincidence for a supposed natural phenomenon, considering that the 360-degree circle, the 24-hour day and the division of the Earth by lines of latitude and longitude are all purely arbitrary cultural constructs.

And what about shift workers who work the swing or graveyard shift? Do all of them have physical and/or psychological problems because of their "unnatural" hours of activity and sleep?

Humans are amazingly adaptable creatures. We've been defying and altering "nature" ever since we discovered fire.

I call bullshit on your Germans.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Eh, I've heard reports and studied done that show that the time change does have an impact on people. In some cases the time change causes people the next day to act no different than if they were hungover just because their internal clock is messed up. Now it doesn't *last* and usually the person adjusts in a day or two but losing an hour of sleep (as we do when we spring-forward) or the sun setting too early certainly has an impact. Hell it's only 8:00 where I live and I'm already tired because I "feel" like it's 9:00.

Again, it'll all be corrected in a few days but it's foolish to think that shifting our time around by an hour doesn't have *some* impact.

And my mother runs a daycare and the time shift wrecks havoc on children too young to understand. Because now it's dark when their parents pick them up instead of waning daylight, so they get really upset and cranky now thinking their parents are running late. Again, they adjust, but it's still there.

DST Spring Forward Sees a 17% Increase in Traffic Accidents the Following Monday.

Other impacts of DST, including losses in the Stock Market.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It's basically jet lag without getting to go on vacation.

12. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That'd be news to the people who live closer to the Canadian border than you do (there are some). There are some towns that are actually on the border (as in the border runs through it).

13. maneth

maneth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not for me, I'm a morning person and would prefer to work between 06.00 and 14.00 given the choice. I get nothing creative done after 15.00, so I have to schedule routine stuff for the afternoon, and luckily I'm able to make that call. I'm usually in bed by 21.00 or shortly after. The only thing that's stopping me from making this switch currently is my son's kindergarten schedule, since my work schedule is pretty much mine to make.

That said, I would be happy if they standardized to my daylight saving time as well.

14. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Being a morning person is all well and good, but in the spring an hour just disappears from the day! Whether you're sleeping or awake, that's a whole hour that's gone from your life.

15. SmoothieX

SmoothieX Vice Admiral Admiral

What are you complaining about?

Yeah, there are a number of towns north of here that are south of the border. I say 'hard' because there's 1,500 or 2,000 miles worth of south of me and 50 north of me.

16. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm, in this post I'm missing evidence for the "gentleman" bit in your sig. Just because you disagree you needn't be rude.
    I used to spend quite some time in LA when I had a SO living there. LA is 9 hours behind my local time. I never got used to it but kept waking up at 4 am and falling asleep almost the instant the sun went down whch in the long run indeed resulted in a quite unhealthy sleep deprivation. Coming back, it always took me only 2 days to readapt to my native time.
    It's a miracle to me how pilots manage to deal with these constant changes (pardon the paradox).

Thanks @Data Holmes. :) I didn't know that study in detail, only saw a very brief summary in a scientific magazine. Very interesting

17. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

The intention was not so much to reduce overall usage as to reduce peak usage. The power grid and generating stations need to be able to support the peak demand even though that much power isn't needed most of the time. The flatter the load curve is, the more efficiently our generated power can be used.

I don't know if DST any longer has a flattening effect on the load curve, but it demonstrably did when the policy started. Even if the same amount of energy was used, adjusting when it was used was certainly beneficial.

18. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

The UK should stay on BST for the winter and go BST+1 in the summer. Who the hell wants sunlight at 4am? I'd rather have it at 11pm!

19. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

It's not a matter of disagreeing, it's a matter of lying. Disagreament means that both parts hold a reasonable position. Two months to deal with 1-hour shift? That doesn't pass the smell test. So I reserve my consideration for people who do not make stuff up to argue their point.

20. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Adjusting to a 1 hour time difference is like going on holiday from the UK to Germany, so when I visit my brother and sister-in-law, I don't find any difficulty in adjusting to the time difference.