Season THREE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Salinga, Dec 5, 2012.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah I know. They got it so bright the black of the uniforms doesn't even appear black anymore. Which is not only unflattering, but makes them look a lot less cool.

2. Mitty

Mitty Vice Admiral Admiral

Hanging out. S3 was when I really got into TNG. I remember when I bought a Stereo VCR the first episode I watched was "Tin Man". I can't WAIT to see it in Full HD. I wasn't that fussed about seasons 1 and 2 but S3... bring it.

3. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Syfy (I have to admit, I've been watching a bit more Syfy channel this week with the 20th anniversary special and today, and I still hate that name) has been running a marathon of TNG Season 3 and I have to say, I can't wait till this set comes out. I'm enjoying Season 2 (Even though the quality is not as good as Season 1) but season 3 is really when everything started clicking and to just get episodes like Yesterday's Enterprise Remastered will be awesome. Heck, even some of the lesser episodes like another one I watched today, A Matter of Perspective, will also look great remastered, especially when we know CBS-Digital is doing it. I will definitely be going to the movie theater to see Yesterday's Enterprise and Best of Both Worlds (Honestly, how can it not be these two episodes featured) on the big screen.

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's about a decade now since I've watched TNG all the way through. I picked up the DVDs years ago but never got around to it. Last year I was about to start and then word got out about the BDs so I decided to wait and watch as the BDs were released. Got to say, I'm glad I did it that way. Even with the audio flaws, I loved rewatching the first season again. I'm thoroughly enjoying season two at the moment, even the duff episodes, and I'm positively salivating at the prospect of HD season three! Yesterday's Enterprise, Best of Both Worlds, The Defector.....bring it on!

5. sadsquid

sadsquid Lieutenant Red Shirt

Yeah, can't wait for Season 3, probably my 2nd or 3rd favourite season. It's when TNG really hit its stride. There were very few bad episodes, unlike the first two seasons which had their fair share of clunkers. It got off to a solid, if not quite spectacular, start and then from around the middle of the season, just started hitting it out of the park! Cannot wait to see it in HD with more great special features!

6. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

I never owned S1 or S2 on DVD initially. I watched them when they first aired but had no interest in buying the sets. I'm happy to have them in HD now though.

7. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Looking forward to season three in a big way:bolian: TNG hit it's stride in season 3! One of the best series cliff hangers of all time:D Bring it on!

Any idea on a release date?

8. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They're shooting for April, with Enterprise S1 a month or so before

9. Angel4576

Hadn't heard that Enterprise was coming so soon. Just had a quick look and found the Digital Bits news piece about it - OT, but the footnote at the bottom of that page makes reference to a rumoured X-Files BD release in 2013 as well! Hallelujah 2013 is shaping up to be a great year for HD releases! :techman:

thedigitalbits

10. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yup! X-Files may indeed by gracing Blu-Ray soon :)

Enterprise S1 should be mid-late March. And the bonus features are looking great... TNG S3 too!

11. Angel4576

T'will be interesting to see how FHE handle the XF BDs - remaster or upscale? Please let it be the former!

ENT - presumably it's just a case of re-scanning at 1080p, given that the HDTV versions would have been 1080i//720p?

12. Beta-Z

Beta-Z Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Xfiles are coming to BD too?
    OMG, that will be a very expensive 2013. Star Trek TNG and E, Xfiles, the James Dean Movies...
    Guess I've got to speak to my boss to get a raise...:rommie:

13. davejames

So is X-Files another situation where they shot on film and edited in video? Those reruns usually look about as crappy as the TNG ones, so I assume it must have been.

14. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

CBS is probably going to just pull the D5 HD master tapes off the shelf and encode directly to Blu-ray from those. Unlike the other shows, ENT was finished in 1080/24p HD from the get go.

But, as has been mentioned many times before, the VFX plates in the early seasons were composited at D1 resolution (480i), then upconverted back to 1080p (after removing the 3:2 pulldown, of course) during the online edit.

15. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I am curious to see if CBS will airbrush Counselor Troi when she is onboard the Sheliak ship. Her appearance in that one scene pushes the envelope on a family show.

16. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

It was probably just a little bit nipply on set...

17. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, her spacesuit was a bit lippy....

18. crotig

crotig Ensign Red Shirt

19. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Again CBS-D shows, what "staying true to the original" means. :)

20. davejames

Not really a great comparison, as the HD in that clip doesn't really look like HD.