Star Trek: Axanar

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Linnear, Sep 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Today

Today Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

2. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

I understand that there may have been women captains in ENT, and later in the timeline. I was referring to the TOS era specifically. Yes, you can claim in retrovision that it was only because Lester was unbalanced, and that it was just because of the 60s USA view...but, first, Kirk did agree with her during the episode. But, mostly, I personally would prefer an explanation of why this particular rule came about and why it changed...rather than just to ignore this inconvenient truth. There's a pretty strong story there waiting to be told.

On another note...Axanar posted this on FaceBook on April 15th.

'Thanks to James Cawley, TOS costumer extraordinaire and Star Trek: Phase II Executive Producer, who has supplied the Axanar team with the parts needed for The Cage era tunics we will be using for "Prelude to Axanar". James sent us all of the tunics he had and the supplies to make more for free. Because he is that kind of guy. Thanks James!"

This is just the kind of cooperation that should be happening between fanfilms - and James has always been leading the way on that front. It's what makes the fanfilm community strong and will ultimately see to it that it endures - no matter which fanfilms come and go.

Acknowledging this cooperation, in my opinion, is an important part of the building blocks to a strong fanfilm community. Secret Voyage did a great job in that respect. Some day I hope to see James' and Greg's name on the credits for Ajax, and James and mine on the credits for Axanar. (I made all the Cage Era tunics that James gave Axanar for the Phase II episode "The Protracted Man" (origins). James dyed the collars.)

Again, I think this kind of acknowledgement builds a strong community - giving people the sense that, yes, we are all in this together.

3. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

This community has been going on since 2005 and although there has been a dip I love how the cross-pollination is resurfacing:

- Nick Cook has worked on Hidden Frontier/Phase II [the former with other Intrepid members - ironic that the first full-blown crossover is Transatlantic!!)
    - Hidden Frontier's John Whiting and New Voyages' James Cawley have appeared in each others' shows with other members
    - Farragut used to film on the Phase II sets before getting their own studio
    - HF's Knapp appeared on Dark Armada
    - Axanar have a lot of Fanfilm veterans onboard as does Renegades

There have been so any more and I'm glad that rather than rival many choose to help one another make that Star Trek tapestry ever bigger. Long may it continue.

4. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

In principal cross pollination should make all productions better.

5. diriel

diriel Ensign Red Shirt

Honestly, I wish some of these projects would come together and make a fresh new fan series. I would not even be overly picky about which one! Although I will admit the one that had the Romulan 2nd officer was kinda cool.

6. Danlav05

Danlav05 Commodore Commodore

Exactly - everyone putting in their resources to produce spectacular films. Look at who's working on stuff like Axanar - Sean Torengau (fan who designed Riker's Titan) Tobias Richter in Germany, Cawley on costumes - some very talented people all coming together to bring audiences very exciting new Star Trek!

If your into continuity (like me) then you've got Hidden Frontier/Intrepid/Dark Armada who have swapped characters as with New Voyages and Farragut; Prescott joining the Enterprise in Phase II; STC Kirk in The Price of Anything -do your research and there is a lot more crossover than you might think!

7. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  8. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

My favorite is Hatch as a Klingon and I guess my second favorite is the woman from Galactica, but they all look great.

9. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Caught up on the site blog. Tony Todd need say only one line. ONE LINE. And I've got serious goose bumps.

Mark

Mike McDevitt likes this.
  10. northstar

northstar Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Kate Vernon looks just awesome. And the rest, too!

11. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is it just me, or does Kate Vernon look a lot like Barbara Bain in that pic?

12. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

I was thinking she looks a lot like Honor Blackman.

13. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Thats what I thought also

14. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

I actually made the costumes that Cawley donated - so it goes even farther ;)

15. Captain Atkin

Patty, I spoke with Alec Peters this evening about the costumes. He said that they did not use any Cawley costumes in the production and that all costumes were made from scratch.

No costumes were donated to the Axanar production. Some of them may look similar to the Phase II costumes, but they are all 100% new designs.

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've just gotta say, seeing those massive Kelvin-era ships in a TOS setting pressed all my nerd buttons at once. <3

17. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Well, in andriech's defense, Alec Peters announced that James Cawley donated some pre-made "Cage"-era costumes as well as copious amounts of velour fabric to Alec for use in the Axanar production. I take him at his word.

In the end, it is indeed possible that none of the pre-made costumes donated by James (but actually put together by andriech) ultimately got used in the production.

18. Duane

Duane Captain Captain

Productions evolve over time. There was a time when Axanar was going to film on Phase II sets.

It always seemed odd to me that someone who sewed a costume wanted credit on a film.

A costume designer? Sure. But someone who sewed a costume?

19. Bixby

Bixby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Film credits have changed a lot over the decades...Go see Alfred Hitchcock's 1950s films and the end credit sequence takes about 30 seconds to a minute. The average end credits starting in the 80s were often long enough to match with the length of a pop song, say 2 to 3 minutes.
    Nowadays, they take over 5 minutes.

Are the films better? debatable...but they do seem to credit anyone and everyone involved in the making of a film...

20. Captain Atkin

Alec said that none of the costumes could be used and that both the tunics he and Kate Vernon wore were custom made by the same manufacturer who made the two Admiral tunics. James Cawley's fabric was used, but that is all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.