Was Spock a Hypocrite?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by serenitytrek1, Mar 2, 2013.

1. serenitytrek1

serenitytrek1 Commander

The first time Spock and Kirk meet in the 09 film, Spock confronts Kirk about him cheating on the Kobayashi Maru test.

Spock indirectly suggests that Kirk was so careless, reckless and so seriousness that he couldn’t even take into account the fact that his father lost his life trying to save hundreds of people.

Basically to Spock, Kirk was an embarrassment to his father’s legacy.

However in the scene where Kirk yells at Spock for not loving his mother. Spock gets mad, has a serious meltdown and nearly kills Kirk.

Spock is obviously angry that Kirk is insulting him by throwing his dead mother at his face. However (mysteriously) it seemed like Spock had completely forgotten that he had done the same thing to Kirk earlier in the film.

Hypocrisy much?...On Spock’s part?

Basically both of them played the dead parent card on each other.

Maybe Spock took it harder since his mother slipped to her death right from his fingers.However it still does not change the fact that he used Kirk's dead dad to publicly bash kirk's character.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, when Kirk brought up Amanda, he was intentionally trying to provoke Spock. Kirk used the most abrasive language that he could. So naturally Spock's emotional outburst would be a result of that.

But when Spock mentioned Kirk's father in the earlier scene, Spock wasn't trying to make Kirk mad or anything like that. Spock didn't say anything that Kirk didn't already know. Spock was being as 'diplomatic' as possible - he wasn't bashing or insulting Kirk, just trying to make a point.

3. HaventGotALife

HaventGotALife Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it's apples and oranges. I think Spock was upset about Kirk cheating on the Kobyashi Maru. It does make Kirk upset, but Spock jumps down his throat in that scene, as much as a Vulcan can. He is talking over Kirk and very fast. Not the greatest and most logical thing that Spock has ever done.

However, this was raw. Within hours of losing his mother, Spock is being accused of never loving her. Spock has been bullied and teased for having this "bad bloodline" in the eyes of the Vulcans. He tells the Vulcan science Academy off for say it was a "disadvantage." He beats the crap out of the boy who calls her a whore. This is what he's had to put up with. Remember, he doesn't like Kirk. He's kicked him off the ship, from Spock's perspective, Kirk is just another bully.

I can tell you after losing a parent, if someone had accused me of not loving my father, hours after his death, I would've gotten angry or cried. Say it to me now and it will probably roll off my back because their opinion carries little weight. Kirk has lived his entire life without his father and that is a part of his character, searching for that father figure or some part of his father's legacy. But it's not a fresh wound. He's had time to get used to the fact.

4. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yet another brilliant example of them being meant for each other. They sink to the same low point :adore: