Rudolph: a homosexual metaphor?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by the G-man, Dec 5, 2010.

1. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a tin and only one of them were females...

So to me they are like the Smurfs, they are are gay because they don't want to touch the one whore.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

How do we know that tin is canon? Maybe it's been retconned. Have you noticed John Byrne around?

3. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Rudolph intended as a homosexual metaphor? I have no idea.

Is it interesting to read it as a homosexual metaphor? Sure, why not. Outsider narratives can easily be related to that experience.

Actually the name comes from the fact that Hermaphroditus was the love child of Hermes and Aphrodite (he actually wasn't, y'know, hs namesake to begin with, but he was so unbelievably hot that some girl decided she wanted to never part from him and hey-yo, things went south as they do in myths...)

4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is a joke post, mocking the whole idea of seeing meanings in TV shows and movies.

Alas, that ^^^ clearly shows whoever wrote this has never seen a vagina. Who are we supposed to laugh at?

5. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. Someone finally got it. Kudos.

6. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

G-man, it's the internet. I regularly see the most preposterous statements presented as the baldest fact. The line for satire is basically nonexistent.

7. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I half-figured the OP was pulling our collective leg. What this board needs is an emoticon for “irony/satire.”
    A “tin”? I’m missing something here. Are you talking about canned reindeer meat?

8. bigdaddy

No I had a tin that was full of popcorn, you see theme aroundd often during the holidays. On the tin was the reindeer and only one was female. Unless it was in drag then none were female.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

This thread is gay.

10. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I can see the anti-homosexual mataphor in there but I don't think it's specifically a metaphor about that but more about simply outcasting people for "being different" period. I mean I was outcast in school, not allowed by to the cool kids to play with them and all that simply because I was smart and wore glasses. So I saw a lot of myself in Rudolph.

So it's not a metaphor about homosexuality so much as it's a metaphor for "don't out cast people who're different because you never know what they are capable of."

I do find it interesting his peers didn't like Rudolph until they were shown Rudolph could do something for them. So it was less, "hey, Rudolph is a good guy and we should feel bad for outcasting him!" and more "hey this freak can do things for us!"

And why were Santa's reindeer such dicks anyway?

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That doesn't mean it isn't possible though. F. Scott Fitzgerald's novels are increasingly being studied as critiques of homosexual topics these days, and his novels were written before Rudolph was made.

12. bigdaddy

Because Santa beat them. Santa didn't beat Rudolph because him and Santa were having an affair.

13. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

14. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

As the original post is plagiarised from an uncredited source, I am closing this thread.

EDIT: As it seems FreeRepublic plagiarised it from an unsearchable even earlier version, the thread is re-opened.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  15. Nardpuncher

Nardpuncher Rear Admiral

I was wondering why it was locked then reopened.

Though it seems to be going nowhere and is full of shiatty jokes.