Worf is VEGAN!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by STFan, Sep 14, 2010.

1. STFan

STFan Cadet Newbie

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Real Klingons eat MEAT! Preferably raw. Sometimes still moving.

3. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Gagh, in particular, is supposed to be best when still alive and healthy. If the worms aren’t moving much, it’s not good gagh.

There’s a scene in The Challenge, with Scott Glenn and Toshiro Mifune, in which Glenn’s character is having dinner with Japanese who are eating live worms. They goad him into trying it, and after swallowing it he said, “I can feel it moving around!” obviously very disturbed, and he grabbed a vessel of sake and started guzzling. The Japanese all laughed at him.

Anybody know anything about live worms in Japanese cuisine?

(Actually, I’m not sure it was worms. It might have been eels or snakes or something. Definitely something long and wiggly.)

Last edited: Sep 14, 2010
  4. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

As am I.

5. David cgc

David cgc Admiral Premium Member

I'm not sure if it was based on something behind the scenes or just the author's invention, but in one of the books Riker remembers how he found out the hard way that while gagh is meant to be served live, it's supposed to be swallowed dead. Since he just chucked them down without chewing first, he learned firsthand that live gagh is a fine intestinal parasite.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

From the picture, Dorn looks like he's going through chemo-therapy and radiation, he appeared better when he was consuming the flesh of the beast.

:)

7. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

No, but i did see one of those strange food shows where they go to Hong Kong and eat live little Octopi. Nothing grosser than watching food using it's arms to try and escape someone's mouth.

8. seekertwo

seekertwo Commander Red Shirt

Agreed...he looks like something a Klingon has already chewed on.... :wtf:

9. Owain Taggart

Owain Taggart Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, looks like he needs more nutrients.

10. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Veganism isn't healthy and Dorn does indeed look like a cancer patient, he was so handsome before D:

11. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    That's the second time in two days that I've seen a publication refer to Worf as sexy. Is this something new or was I just unaware of it?

12. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

^
    ^^ I took a shrapnel hit from some folks when I stated the same thing in another thread. Dorn does NOT look very healthy these days. I look better as a diabetic omnivore than Dorn as a vegetarian.
    Vegetarian = eats vegetables, needs supplements to replace what they don't eat
    Vegan = fanatic who tries to tell everyone else what to eat
    Carnivore = eats only animal flesh, needs supplements to replace what they don't eat
    Omnivore = knows its all good for you, meat and veggies

13. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Fuck! Is that Dorn now? He looks like a decrepit old man! I wouldn't recognize him at all now.

Worf would definitely not approve - and comparing that picture to how he looked just a couple of years ago definitely convinces me more than ever that going vegan is *un*healthy.

I mean seriously, I'm not just having a pop at proselytizing PETA - though I'm happy to do that anytime as well - it's like he's aged 30 years in the past 10.

14. Gul Re'jal

Gul Re'jal Commodore Commodore

Gul Re'jal is suspecting she's on the wrong space
    Not true. I've been a vegetarian for 17 years, I don't take any supplements and I'm healthy; healthier than before.
    Irony (or whatever your intention was) aside - a vegan is someone, who eats only plant-food. A true herbivore. Unlike a vegetarian, who also eats eggs, cheese and such.

Being a vegetarian is way healthier than being a vegan :)

15. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Oh hell, I hadn't realized it said 'vegan' instead of 'vegetarian'. That's a shame, too, since I'm usually so on-the-ball about that.

I'm a vegetarian, not a vegan.

16. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

I thought Vegans were people from Las Vegas.

17. Agenda

Agenda Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Good for him, I'm a vegan too (and a meatan, and a choclan...)

18. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Good for him... I would die of starvation though.

19. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They were Sake worms. They drown them in the rice wine. They're kind of like Tequila worms. Basically, if you get the worm you have to drink it, that's the rules. The Sake worms take a while to drown in the alcohol, and that's why they were still moving.

20. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

My assumption is that Klingons are carnivores like cats are: meat is necessary to their survival. Possibly, live meat is necessary to their survival. Dead flesh may lose some kind of vital nutrient. And of course, copious amounts of bloodwine is an absolute must!