The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 14, 2012.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Coming in September! At last we have a... well, a month, if not a date.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

And really, September isn't too far away.

3. T J

T J Commodore Commodore

Very excellent!

4. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

Are we should it's September of this year? :lol:

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nice trailer. I'm actually surprised it's that soon, they've been remarkably quiet.

6. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

We will be seeing the very first Avatar this season, in a two-part episode called "Beginnings". The story will take place 10,000 years prior to Korra, and will show us how a bender named Wan became the very first Avatar. He will be voiced by The Walking Dead's Steven Yeun. Nickelodeon released this pic of Wan:

[​IMG]

Wired

In other news, the first episode of Book Two, "Rebel Spirit", was screened at the LoK Comic-Con panel. Hypable has provided a detailed recap of the episode, and Screencrush has listed a few key points. Don't click if you don't want to be spoiled!

Go here to watch a recording of the entire panel, minus the episode screening of course. There may be some spoilers revealed there too (I haven't watched it yet).

7. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The First Avatar?! That's awesome!

8. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Book 2 starts on Sept. 13th with two episodes.

Source

9. bigdaddy

How many episodes are supposed to be in this season?

10. Christopher

Fourteen. That way the first two Books together add up to a full 26 episodes.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

When I noticed that guy in the trailer I did wonder that he might be the very first Avatar. IIRC there's shots of him bending all the elements (so obviously *an* Avatar) and getting in between people and the spirits dead set on re-enacting the title sequence of X-Men, which ties into the whole "bridge between the worlds" bit.

It's nice to be getting some more on the larger mythos of the Avatar.

12. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

My son and I are looking forward to this.

The first one was excellent.

13. bigdaddy

Thanks, I couldn't remember if the first season had 11 or 12 episodes and if it was "Up to 26 episodes".

14. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Tonight's the night. The 14-month wait is over.

15. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ooh! Thanks for the "heads up"!

I might have missed it otherwise.

Sincerely,

Bill

16. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm excited!

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I forgot until I saw a new post in the thread. Thanks for the reminder.
    I actually just checked TV Guide to see what's on tonight and I completely overlooked it.

18. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I'm waiting until 7 my time to watch it rather than watching it right now on the Nick east coast feed. Korra is awesomeness. :D

19. Christopher

A pretty impressive return, and a lot of fun moments. We get to see the world expanded further, not only geographically and culturally, but in terms of getting to know Korra's and Tenzin's families more. Good action, good music, good animation, good new voices.

A couple of things bug me. I'm not happy that they just fobbed off all the first season's loose ends with a simple "It's been six months and Republic City is at peace." The Equalists wouldn't have gotten as far as they did if there weren't a strong core of discontent among non-benders about their treatment by benders, and that's something that would take a long time to address. It feels like a bit of a cheat just to brush it aside like that. Although maybe they'll do a comic-book miniseries filling in the gap sometime.

It also feels like small-universe syndrome to have Korra's own father, who we thought was just some guy in an igloo, turn out to be the former heir apparent to the Northern Water Tribe's chieftainship and the general who caused the spiritual imbalance now racking the world. Having all the most important characters be related to each other is usually a rather contrived trope. Although it occurred to me that maybe the reason the Avatar's soul passed to Korra was that it was her destiny to correct the imbalance her father caused.

I pegged Unalaq as the bad guy pretty much right off. Despite his seeming benevolence, he's clearly a fanatic, and he's got sort of a Tarrlok-esque quality, a sinister undercurrent to his surface helpfulness. As soon as we saw that he had the power to calm the spirits, I suspected that he was the one who stirred them up in the first place in order to provide an excuse to convince Korra to train under him -- and, as we later saw, an excuse to bring the Southern Water Tribe under his control. Note that the first spirit attack 20 years earlier resulted in his older brother being banished and Unalaq inheriting the chieftainship. (Plus his twins are rather creepy. Bolin has strange tastes.)

Not happy that Asami disappeared in episode 2. I assume we'll see more of her and the crazy financier guy later on. What I'm wondering is why his moving-picture starlet Ginger is a redhead. They don't have Caucasians in their world! How have they ever seen a redhead before?

Interesting that Jinora was spiritually drawn to the hall of statues, and to the one statue that I think must've been Wan, the first Avatar. Looks like she's got some of the spiritual sensitivity that Korra lacks. Maybe she'll be able to help teach Korra.

Actually it feels like they reset Korra's personality a bit. I'd think that after her experiences in Book 1, she would've learned to grow a bit beyond the "punch everything and ignore the spiritual" behavior. She should've already understood that she had to try to connect to the spirits rather than just fighting them, even if she wasn't very good at it yet.

Hey, wait a minute. This takes place on the winter solstice in the south, and it's been six months since the end of Book 1. And Republic City is in the north. That means that Book 1 ended on the northern winter solstice, i.e. the season took place in the fall. It looked more like spring or summer to me.

20. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Excellent season premiere, this is going to be much better than the first season. I'm delighted they introduced like ten new characters in one episode, I like a big ensemble. I'm looking forward to a Miyazaki-esque heavy season!

Her uncle was clearly the Big Bad from the get-go. The moment I saw him controlling spirits, no question.