Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Out Of My Vulcan Mind

Out Of My Vulcan Mind Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it was played for laughs at all.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Comparing a director's previous films and projecting concerns for a totally different project seems to be a redundant thing to me. If one dislikes Zach Snyder's past work that's fine. I think all the interviews he has given on "Man of Steel" so far (granted there haven't been a lot of them yet due to "Sucker Punch") have me having very few concerns. The Superman film franchise it's self has had a lot of problems and divided fans since Richard Donner's "Superman: The Movie" and even that film has detractors so I'm not going to rip Zach if the execution isn't there. I'll critique the film if I don't like it but I'm not going to rip him for "destroying" the franchise if it's a flop either.

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

It wasn't.

Snyder's Watchmen was the best film version of those comics that fans could reasonably have hoped for. And if nothing else it put an end to innumerable "Cast Watchmen" threads clogging up Internet boards year after year. :lol:

4. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

This is true. While I have some issues with Synder's directorial ticks, "Watchmen" is an almost too faithful adaptation of Alan Moore and Dave Gibbson's graphic novel.

Synder set out to take the visual language of the book and put it on film, which he accomplished. In doing so, however, he neglected to account for the fact that not everything adapts well to film.

For instance, Synder crammed the movie with the same pacing as the graphic novel, which resulted in some meandering in the middle of the film.

My major issue with Synder is his visual style when it comes to action sequences. I'm not a fan of slowmo the way he uses it.

But with Nolan participating, I'm sure that some of Synder's ticks, such as the action, will be made more naturalistic and in line with how Nolan operates.

5. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Don't know the Graphic novel for Watchmen, but, the movie didn't do anything for me. I couldn't stand any of the characters, and the movie on On Demand was 3 1/2 hours, it easily could've beena whole hour shorter.

However, I absolutely loved Zach Snyder's Dawn of the Dead.

6. Admiral_Young

7. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He'd be an excellent Lex as well! He even looks like Jon Hamm and already has a leg up on him in the balding department.

8. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

In the end, I liked Rorschach.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I only read the book shortly before the movie came out, so I'm no expert, but it still felt to me like Snyder glamorized the characters and action FAR too much, and turned everybody into a bunch of slick, ass-kicking superheroes.

He might have captured the look of the comic really well, but not the tone.

10. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Dan Turpin?

11. Admiral_Young

I wouldn't rule out a young Perry White. Dan Turpin seems like stereotyping lol.

12. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Christopher Miloni being involved in this is interesting...As Perry or as Lex...as Dan Turpin would be a bit of a yawner...but I'll take it. :lol:

13. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Looks like Chris had a good reason to leave SVU. He might be entering a big movie career.

14. Admiral_Young

15. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

General Zod? LOL.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

General Lane?

17. Admiral_Young

That's one of the suggestions in the article. Not known yet though. I agree with the caption of the article, seems like a waste. He'd be great as Perry or Lex.

18. Nerys Myk

He's about 15 year older than Amy Adams, so I guess he can play her dad. (I've seen actors play parent & child with a smaller age gap) Though with Amy being such a "hag"...;)

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Wasn't there something like 10 years between Sean Connery and Harrison Ford when they played father and son?

20. Nerys Myk

Glenn Close was nine years older than Mel Gibson when they played mother and son in Hamlet.