Welcome Fellow Trekkies! The GTD Get to Know You thread

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Alidar Jarok, Jan 21, 2010.

?

How excited are you that I'm here?

1. W00t!! Let's get this party started!

393 vote(s)
    71.6%
  2. I'm ok with it, I'll live.

116 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Meh.

27 vote(s)
    4.9%
  4. BOO!! GO AWAY!!!

13 vote(s)
    2.4%
  1. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

TrekBBS uses compound dating [hey, I made up a new term!]. If I recall correctly, it will be 180 days IN ADDITION TO the time it took to make the last rank. This is what usually confuses me... and others.

2. kirsten187

kirsten187 Napoleonic Power Monger Admiral

Yeah, I think you need both. As in, the required amount of days membership and the required number of posts. Is that what you meant? :confused:

3. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

So, it's really 270 total days to make it to the Commodore's Lounge??

4. kirsten187

By the looks of things, yes. But we'll get to the Fleet Captains' Lounge first. You have to have been a member for 180 days for that and 365 days for the Commodore's Lounge.

5. Sector 7

It is probably the most complicated part of TrekBBS... figuring out the exact time of your next promotion. My statement is based on observation; most people who come up from other lounges are surprised when it happens. Therefore, it must be difficult to calculate... unless you are some kind of... I dunno... a math genius... or... wait for it... a Trekkie Nerd.:rommie:

6. kirsten187

Hmm....well I'm not a maths genius (oh dear, that wasn't meant to be a McCoyism - I only realised after I'd typed it - DOH!) but I'm not sure I'd class myself a Trekkie Nerd either!

7. OwN

OwN Ensign Red Shirt

Hi Everyone,

I came into my Fandom later than some i guess, when i was a kid and ST was on tv for the original runs of TNG, Voy, and DS9 i would quickly change the channel, or find something else to do... like chores...

Later on though, in a re run of the series of Vogager, my brother got me into it and i quickly became a fan. Voyager isnt my favorite series, but if i hadnt watched it i never would have gotten to know Picard as well as I do today.

8. kirsten187

Hi OwN - how are you?

9. OwN

OwN Ensign Red Shirt

Im great Kirsten, just watching a little voyager right now actually, thought id sign on and check things out again. How are you?

10. kirsten187

I'm good thanks :) - glad to be home from work so am logged in here with a cup of tea.

11. bleumonique

bleumonique Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

:bolian:

12. kirsten187

Hanging out with other "normal" people?

13. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Normal is what everyone else is and you are not.

14. EnterpriseGeek

EnterpriseGeek Ensign Red Shirt

I used to have an account years ago, but let it go for a while. But I have returned.

15. kirsten187

Welcome back :)

16. EnterpriseGeek

EnterpriseGeek Ensign Red Shirt

17. Amyk

Amyk Ensign Red Shirt

Hello. Newbie here. Like several others who have posted, I have been a Star Trek fan for many years, yet, somehow, never thought to look for a definitive place for fans to hang out. I was born in the 70's, so I can remember watching TOS re-runs as well as the animated series when I was a kid. In middle school TNG came out and I was enamored all over again. Especially since there was a character/actor on the show my age. Yep. Good ol' Wesley. I watched every episode of TNG as they aired, glued to the TV every night it was on. I also liked DS9 a lot, but after that I moved in other directions. I wouldn't say my interested waned, just that other things gained importance. College, working, relationships, etc.

In all my years of being a fan I have never been to a convention, and I have always wanted to go. I decided that there was no sense in putting it off indefinitely and it was time to check one out. Doing that made me think..."Hey, I wonder if there's a definitive place for Trekkies to hang out online...

And so there is. And here I am.

18. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

@EnterpriseGeek: Hello again!

@Amyk: Welcome. So, you're the one who liked Wesley (aside from Gene Roddenberry).

19. Sector 7

Welcome newbies (and returning newbies... lol)! Don't forget to check out the Redshirt Lounge. It is a good place to meet other newbies, play games and just have a little fun.

I learned about TrekBBS from a www.trekmovie.com article about a new Star Trek movie [yeah the 2009 one]. Now we have a new one being planned and lots of new gossip/rumurs, etc. to enjoy.

20. Merky

Merky Captain Captain

Ah, so this is where the introduction thread lies.

Newbie to the forums. TOS fan since I was a kid, first saw it on the Sci-fi channel about 10 ~ 11 years ago. I really enjoy TOS and I haven't really gotten into the other Trek series other than DS9. I loved Sisko and Bashir. Enterprise was a difficult one...

I never really took part in Star Trek fandom, I mostly lurked around over the years but the reboot re-lit that spark for the series again and now I'm diving into fandom with full force. I haven't been to a "trek" convention nor have I really engaged in the whole Star Trek lifestyle... Life, school, work etc... but I'm now opening that door again and allowing Mr. Spock back into my life, lol.

Every other place that I have engaged in Trek fandom since the reboot have mostly been communities dedicated to slashing K/S and or the actors (Nimoy/Shat and Pine/Quinto) which is definitely not my deal... I just wanted to find a community that actually talks about the show and not really the all the romance/slash/Uhura-bashing. This place seems pretty cool so far :)!