Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by bigdaddy, Jul 12, 2011.

1. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

BB includes blu-ray and video games at those prices. Those service are extra on Netflix.

2. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

See, rather than dividing Netflix into two companies and getting rid of DVDs, they should have been looking to try and merge with other companies...like Gamefly and Redbox.

3. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

No just someone with the mind of a 5 year old.

4. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

The new name just doesn't make sense. Nothing about it implies "movie rental."

5. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's also a movie site named "Flixster", which sounds a lot like "Qwikster". So they have no brand recognition, and the name they do have is quickly associated with things other than Netflix. I mean, seriously, whoever said "Mailflix" or "Netflix Classic" would make more sense. I agree with the idea of what they're doing, but the name wasn't the best choice.

6. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, the name's just dumb. And by breaking it into two completely different things, and not even linking the queues, it makes it pretty easy to just dump the mail part in favor of someone else. Blockbuster is more (although you DO get blu-ray at that price cheaper than the Netflix add-on), but depending on how many movies you get a month, Redbox is cheaper, can get blu-ray for a dollar, and has new releases. If you are doing the movie thing for older titles, better off streaming netflix. Unless, of course, it's one of the many titles netflix doesn't offer to stream...

7. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

The "-ster" suffix is basically a death sentence.

8. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just canceled the DVD-by-mail portion of my Netflix account. I'd completely cancel my account altogether but I already dropped cable a year and a half ago, and I really like the Netflix streaming, even though I am growing unhappy with the company. I know that other companies are working on their own streaming initiatives and I hope they're able to knock Netflix off the pedestal its put itself upon. Honestly, who the hell is running this company? They were doing so well and now they've gone and screwed themselves over.

9. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

DVDs have been canceled. We'll see how long streaming lasts.

10. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

And if I had no interest in games or blu-ray I'd be paying extra for something I don't need.

11. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I think that Netflix and Dish (blockbuster) are rushing to get their net based streaming businesses in order because they are worried about the studios bid Digital Download push this xmas season and next year as well as what Apple and Amazon have in store.

The push by studios toward Digital Downloads was bad enough, but with Amazon's new Kindle with the included Prime membership, and Apples looming but still rumored TV unit, the industry insiders know that it's reaching a boiling point. Optical Disk format is in line to be obsolete as the primary mode of video distribution, outside of audio and videophiles and Bluray.

Mass distribution will be streaming, downloads, and sales of SD cards and USB thumb drives with the movies on them. These businesses need to adapt or die. THe Netflix CEO knows this, and is pushing his company into a stronger position long run by splitting off the successful but soon to be dead weight that is the DVD-by-Mail business.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

don't completely disagree, but it's not THERE yet, so putting all the eggs in one basket is premature. Also, you can spin off your mail business without seeming to go out of your way to kill it off...

13. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm really sick of the projections that discs are dead. They aren't, people still like them and will for awhile still. Physical copies are still better than everything else.

It's like the Target employee saying in January that DVDs will be gone by summer, and my the lasted now, because companies will only make blu ray. Change takes longer, and you can't rush it. Netflix rushed it and has paid the price.

14. gh4chiefs

I was responding to your post suggesting I was stupid (because of the price differences) for even considering I take a look at BB vs Netflix. I don't recall saying YOU (or anyone else for that matter) should switch to Blockbuster.

15. FatherRob

FatherRob Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We got rid of Sattelite 2 years ago for Cable, and ditched it a year ago. We have an HD antenna in our living room and bedroom, and get crystal clear local channels. The only thing I really miss at this point is ESPN for Monday Night Football, but it's a small price to pay for the extra $80.00 a month I save by not having cable.

We made that choice because of Netflix. We understood and agreed with the choice to raise prices back in July. But this... splitting off the DVD business... is a pain in the neck. I love a lot of older movies, and often times the only way to get them is on DVD. Now I'll have to juggle two accounts to handle that? No thanks. We'll keep the streaming, but I think we're going to try to get what is in our Netflix DVD queue watched quickly, and then cancel the service.

Rob+

16. gh4chiefs

That's where I'm coming down on this. Despite my questions to the contrary yesterday about the name change, I really don't care what they call the new DVD service. They can call it "Kissmyasster" if that's what trips their triggers.

But having to juggle two websites, and (apparently) not having the same level of intergration as they have now, well FatherRob is right, it's going to be a pain, but I would just say much lower down in the anatomy.

17. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I was actually fine with the raise in price. I was going to keep both the streaming (which I really like... lots of shows, documentaries and movies) and the 1 disc at a time. 15 bucks. good deal.

However, it's this splitting up into 2 websites that I think it is obnoxious. "Let's turn something that was convenient and actually a deal into something LESS convenient. They'll LOVE US!" that's what I don't get.

18. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty much. Netflix is going to alienate and anger its customers by forcing them to manage 2 separate accounts on 2 separate websites instead of keeping everything in one nice, organized location. You'll have to manage 2 queues and won't get any sort of notification if something in your DVD queue is also now available to stream. If you are searching for a specific title, you'll now have to search for it twice. Go to Netflix, see if it's available to stream. If not, go to Quickster and see if it's available on DVD.

The new name for their DVD service is also a terrible marketing move, because they won't be able to use the Netflix brand that they've done such a great job at building. Potential customers will go "what the hell is Quickster?" and shun the service without even realizing that it was the same company.

It seems pretty clear to me that Netflix wants to eliminate its DVD business model entirely. First they split the company up, then wait for Quickster to crash and burn, then conveniently get rid of it due to lackluster performance. They'll say that sales figures clearly indicate that viewers only want to stream content now and that no one wants physical media via DVD.

19. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Yeah, it seems like they're intentionally setting it up to fail so they won't have to deal with it anymore.

When that happens, maybe they'll have a "going out of business" thing and sell off the DVDs for super cheap!

20. gh4chiefs

Why do you think that is? Is it really that unprofitable? Or is streaming just that much more lucrative?