Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, turnabout is fair play, since we had a raven-haired Lana Lang in Smallville. Maybe we need a ginger Lois to restore cosmic balance.

On the other hand, what bugged me about both MJ and Jean Grey in the movies is that they never had the same hair color from one movie to the next. Dunst's MJ was darker red in the first movie, lighter in the second, in between in the third, while Janssen's Jean was sort of the reverse. The advantage of going with someone who has the right hair color naturally is that the color presumably wouldn't be so variable from one movie to the next. (And while we're at it, why was Rogue's white streak more blonde than white in X2?)

2. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never even considered Amy Adams, but hey works for me!

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Maybe the characters used hair coloring?

4. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

They had to cast AA as LL. It's that obvious. :)

Of course, that limits the Lex Luthor options. Kevin Kline? Chevy Chase? Michael Madsen? Emilio Estevez? Sylvester Stallone?

5. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Amy Adams too, but I wanted an actress who was closer in age to Henry Cavill. She's 9 years older than her costar, and will be at least 40 by the time she plays Lois Lane in her third Superman film (assuming she signs for three as actors often do in these franchise deals). BTW, Margot Kidder was only 4 years older than Christopher Reeve.

Incidentally, I hope the Zod rumors will cease. Been there, done that.

6. Christopher

Adam Arkin
    Bryan Brown
    Christian Clemenson
    Daniel Day-Lewis

Sorry, can't think of another EE.

I like the idea of Lois as a slightly older, more seasoned journalist, a woman who's been around the block a few times.

And what's wrong with her being 40 in the third movie? Famke Janssen was 42 and Halle Berry was 40 in X-Men: The Last Stand. Gwyneth Paltrow was 38 in Iron Man 2. Nothing wrong with a little maturity. Heck, nobody seemed to have a problem with 40-plus actors playing Iron Man or RoboCop or Jack Ryan, so let's make some effort to wipe out the double standard.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I told you guys we'd get more casting news this week...just didn't think it'd be so soon! I love this casting. I think Amy is an excellent actress.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Amy Adams certainly doesn't look 9 years older than Henry Cavill. They could easily write the characters as being basically the same age.

9. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Been around the block" Lois Lane is one way to rationalize the casting of an older actress. For a reboot, I prefer the notion of a young reporter, just out of college, who is beginning to impress her fellow journalists at the Daily Planet. Also, I think there is a more natural attraction between the two leads if they are closer in age. But that's my bias.

10. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Interesting side note, Amy Adams guest starred on Smallville as the freak-of-the-week in the first season's "Craving".

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

AMY ADAMS IS LOIS LANE!

In case people haven't heard yet... ;)

I've always liked her since Enchanted. I think she will be a great Lois. :techman:

12. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Lois, in the typical setup, is the Planet's star reporter when Clark is a noob, so her being older doesn't seem that unusual to me. And it's not like Adams remotely looks her age, anyway.

Anyway, Adams isn't somebody I would ever have suggested for the part, but I think she suits it very well. She's a three-time Oscar nominee, so she hardly lacks acting skill.

13. Christopher

But that's not Lois's role you're describing -- it's Clark's role. He's the one who's just shown up as a bright new talent and begins to impress his colleagues. Lois is the seasoned veteran who's already a star. What would be the point in giving Lois a role that's a mirror image of Clark's?

There have been countless movies and shows pairing male leads in their 40s or 50s with romantic interests a decade or two younger than them. Harrison Ford is 14 years older than Carrie Fisher, 9 years older than Karen Allen. If it can work with the man being older, there's no reason it shouldn't work with the woman being older. Like I said, we should reject the double standards of the past.

14. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Who the hell cares how old Lois is in this movie? Does it really matter? No...

15. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

I really like Amy Adams as Lois, I think she'll be great. I don't see why she would have to dye her hair or wear a wig, though. Lois Lane's character is not dependent on her being a brunette.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Lois Lane not a brunette? That's like not making Lex bald! Unthinkable!:p ;)

17. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

If you are casting Amy Adams as Lois Lane it would be a crime for her not to be a ginger. :p

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

That female characters might change their hair color between films seems...completely reasonable, actually. :lol:

As I said earlier, I like the idea of Lois as older than Clark. It works.

19. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

Next time someone tries that argument, just give him this:
    [​IMG]

20. Christopher