Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:wah: I submit that would hurt box office performance.

If you must racebend, why not Perry White?

2. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Amy Adams :adore:

Love her! :D

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I doubt that casting Saldana in any movie at all would hurt its box office performance. Who do you think is really going to pass on buying a ticket to Superman because Lois Lane isn't a brunette of european background, other than the white racist yahoos who tried to organize that tiny little protest over "Heimdall" in Thor?

Every fanboy who's so incredibly narrow and anal as to object to the casting on "continuity" rather than explicitly racist concerns would be offset by hundreds of folks who'd see the ads and go "oh, I know who she is and like her. Let's see that." This is, of course, the only reason that well-known actors command high salaries to begin with.

4. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Heh. Yeah. I've always thought something like that could be be brilliant, especially if you got an actor like John Amos to play Perry.

5. CorporalCaptain

Sadly, a much, much larger group than in the case of Thor.

In any case, if Amy Adams pans out, to quote Jesse Jackson, "The question is moot."

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

But who today would be so crass as to comment on a black man being named White? Certainly not Clark Kent. And come on, have you ever heard anyone make an equivalent crack about Jack Black being white? I sure haven't. So why would anyone do the reverse? Someone decades ago might've commented on the irony, but not now.

And I can't imagine how anyone could think casting Zoe Saldana in a movie could possibly hurt its box office performance. You could cast her as Lex Luthor and people would come in droves.

7. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Anyway, Amy Adams seems like a good choice.

8. the G-man

Let me clarify. My point wasn't that Clark would do such a thing or emphasize his last name. My point was that you could play with the audiences expectations by having Clark stumble into the newsroom, looking for Perry, hear the actor's voice and then cut to a black Perry White.

9. CorporalCaptain

There are many answers to this question. Look around in the U.S. Ask a birther or one of the tens of millions sympathetic to the birthers.

If you ask this instead
    then there is the answer I think you were looking for:
    No one should.

I assure everyone here, I did not intend my made up dialog to be offensive. However, I don't think it's unreasonable for Clark to have some lessons to learn.

10. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I haven't seen the fighter so I can't use that performance to gauge my response, but Amy Adams seems too cutesy. Returns also used someone who was famous for playing teenagers, whereas I expect Lane to feel more mature.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

As an example of how anal some among the fanboisie can be, there are already a couple of objections out there to the effect that Adams would be appropriate for Lana Lang but is wrong for Lois Lane - apparently because of her hair color. :guffaw:

12. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Zooey Deschanel would have been great to play off Brandon Routh in SR.

Isn't my understanding that Kevin Spacey agreed to play Lex Luthor on the condition that Kate Botchworth got the part for Lois?

13. the G-man

:brickwall:

Wigs and dye, people. Wigs and dye.

14. the G-man

Amy Adams is 36 and looks like she's in her late 20s.

15. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I don't think it was that explicit. He'd worked with her on Beyond the Sea and recommended her but he didn't have any sort of veto.

Edit - I managed to miss the Amy Adams bit when I went straight to the last page of this thread. I think it's an excellent choice. Not just because she has a comic strip like alliterative name but she'll bring all the pizzaz and vibrancy that Kate Bosworth spectacularly failed to bring to the role.

16. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I know. This boggles the mind. We went through the same thing with Mary Jane Watson, Gwen Stacy, etcetera. Why is it so hard to grasp that actors and actresses often change their hair color for a part?

Heck, this isn't even a secret Hollywood thing. Most of the women I know have changed their hair color a couple of times, just for variety's sake. "I'm tired of being a redhead. I think I'm going try blonde for awhile . . . ."

What planet do these people live on?

17. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

I don't know. Frankly I'm of the opinion most of the people complaining about Amy Adams had these complaints all ready to go regardless who was cast in the part.

I mean, honestly, would ANYONE have satisfied these people? I personally think Amy Adams is a great choice because, among other things, she brings the type of cachet that might actually elevate this film above something appealing only to fanboys and kids.

Alex

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

Amy Adams! I am happy with this choice!

Last edited: Mar 27, 2011
  19. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

The casting so far has been great...

Henry Cavill as Clark Kent/Superman/Kal-El
    Diane Lane as Martha Kent
    Kevin Costner as Jonathan Kent
    Amy Adams as Lois Lane :adore: