"Space Command"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral Buzzkill, May 16, 2012.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

75,000 dollars, BTW, is far from the limit of their financial ambitions here. At http://pledgespacecommand.com/ they're soliciting contributions of up to a quarter of a million dollars.

Frankly, the "rewards" they're offering when they get to that hypothetical level of contribution are pretty weak tea. A teeshirt or a prop is a nice "thank you" for a few hundred, but for hundreds of thousands any sane person is going to want a piece of the action. :lol:

2. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

It does have the right people, I know a few of them but there are still some gaps. I am not sure i'm sold on the 50's type style though, the retro nature is cool in a lot of ways, but i'm not sure its for everyone. Doug has always been a retro sorta guy. :)

I am also interested in watching how their pledge drive goes. I have seen Kickstarter work for some, but fail for others. It's really all about the product they are pitching. It they could get enough funds to string together a small trailer that would help there cause.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The Buck Rogers Begins Kickstarter failed utterly, for instance.

I don't think they need to shoot a trailer, but I would like to know something about what the show is rather than it merely harkening back to those thrilling Space Patrol days.

4. Admiral Buzzkill

That's true. These guys are already doing enormously better with their campaign than BRB did.

Since my post half an hour ago they've moved from about 15 percent to 22 percent funding.

It's a binary effort of course - they reach their goal or they get nothing.

5. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

They could be like the Least I Could Do guys and hit all their funding in a day, or they could start strong and it peters out. Let's see!

6. Admiral Buzzkill

I think some of that will depend on whether they have more detail to show to continue to draw attention to themselves. Zicree has made his living as a writer for quite a long time, and I can't imagine that they don't have characters, storylines and a bible for this show.

7. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

It's certainly gonna be alot better than NuTrek which is not saying much unless you consider the vast discrepancy in the budgets. It still is very hard to pull off the right pacing and approach on any budget to make it not seem too cartoony or Star Warish, etc. and make it feel really believable. Certainly Andromeda didn't pull it off in any way. The ship and sfx were ludicrous as was TNG's even. It's a balancing act of knowing what not to do or do too much of. Treating aliens and space more carefully and with more respect is a good way to start.

8. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Fantastic. This is what I've been saying for ages. Fan films have shown that quality movies can be made on a budget; you can make a great movie for 100k and a quarter of a billion dollars won't make a movie good. I hope these guys can pull this off and I will definitely contribute to their efforts.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

:rolleyes:

10. xortex

Is Jason going to be in it and who owns the property?

11. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

That was Star Command, not Space Command. Hand in your nerd card. ;)

Last edited: May 17, 2012
  12. Admiral Buzzkill

This is also Star Command

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJJAkGRGVkg[/yt]

13. xortex

There's too many of them to keep track of. I just saw someone's avatar said 'Star Force' and the director's titles sound cool - I'll have to look them up. So this is technically an original property which gives them all that much more authority and control which is always best. 'Star Command' is sounding better to me though and just rolls off the toungue better. Space Command sounds like 'Space Cases' or Trek's Space central and makes me think Batman's in it. Oh, well, It's all in the execution.

It's a smart platform in any case. I hope this is the beginning of many such projects popping up here and there gaining national recognition and making the big leap back into the big ponds. Doesn't Netflix and/or Amazon sponser pilots like this or run contests for such properties to be made by them? but I guess you would have to sign over your life to them and make pennies on the dollar.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

They've hit 43 percent funding with thirty-two thousand plus.

15. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    I pledged last night. The visuals combined with the talent involved intrigued me enough to throw some money their way.

I'd really like to see what these guys come up with.

16. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I'm in, as of now. :bolian:

17. Admiral Buzzkill

They've reached 52,000 bucks - a couple of 10,000 dollar backers.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

What's the penalty if a Kickstarter-funded project never materializes?

19. Admiral Buzzkill

None as such.

20. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral