Cross Show characters

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Jochk, Dec 9, 2010.

1. Jochk

Jochk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I HATE it when characters from the previous show are on the next one as a guest star, For example, Scotty coming to TNG, Spock coming to TNG. I was ok with Worf and obrian on DS9 though, anyone share this opinion?

2. mattyhugh

mattyhugh Commander Red Shirt

It depends on the nature of the crossover. Wither it feels organic or forced. Most of the TNG crossovers during season 1 of DS9 were kinda forced. The results were mixed.

3. Shatnertage

Shatnertage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought this was going to be about characters who were always in a grumpy mood, like Worf.

But no, this doesn't bother me. As long as it doesn't get in the way of the story, it's a nice way of throwing a bone to the long-time fans.

4. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not at all. In fact hating crossovers is pretty weird. Why does it bother you so much?

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I prefer that it happens. They all live in the same universe, so why not have them interact once in a while?

6. Alienesse

Alienesse Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thoroughly enjoyed seeing McCoy, Scotty and Spock in TNG. It's nice to see characters from different series interact because it gives a sense of in-universe continuity. As Tosk said, since they all belong to the same world, it's only natural that they meet.

7. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed these episodes ("Relics" is one of my favorite stories in all of Trek). As Tosk said, they are all in the same Universe and timeframe. Barclay turned up on Voyager a couple times, too. The only time I was not so happy was Riker and Troi in "These are the Voyages". I actually thought the episode was OK, but only if it had been a mid-season episode. I do feel that this is one case were the "guest" crossover characters did dominate the episode, which was a shame (maybe even a crime) since this was the Enterprise series finale.

8. Jochk

Jochk Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I think that its because i am not very experienced in TOS but a HUGE TNG and DS9 fan, also it really does feel like they are unrealistically inserted into the show i.e. Scotty being stuck in a transporter, NO WAY it could have happened but thats just my opinion

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

But it did happen. So I guess you're wrong on that one. ;)

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

No more impossible than all the other things we've seen transporters do over the years. From splitting people in two to merging two people together. Hell, we've even had it rebuild an entire person from a single strand of hair.

As long as a power source exists, whose to say a transporter couldn't recycle a pattern til the end of time?

11. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    They're fun and we probably should have seen more. To echo another question I see quite often in these parts "Where in the blue hell where the crew of the Enterprise during the Dominion War?"

12. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

While I love cross-over characters, I can understand why people who like one Trek series would hate characters from another series "invading" their turf.

Doesn't mean that I agree with it, but I can understand it. It's the "My Star Trek Syndrome," IMO.

Aside from ENT's "These Are The Voyages," I thought the majority of crossovers were handled pretty well. They gave me a sense that Star Trek was bigger than just one show...

13. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've really only had a hard time with it when it seemed forced or contrived. I didn't like when the DUras sisters made it to DS9 for that reason, or when Riker talked to Quark on the viewer on TNG. Those seemed too forced.
    TATV bothered me just because it was so badly done. I would have no problem if we saw Riker and Troi from the Titan interact for real with Archer's crew.

14. C.E. Evans

I actually liked those appearances. Thought they were fun little cameos...
    :)

15. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Duras sisters on DS9 wouldn't have been so bad if it weren't for the fact that they were in the second or third episode. We had just had Picard in the pilot, a few weeks later Q and Vash appeared. Yeah, I undertstand why they were doing it, but too many crossovers can be tiring.

Although, I did enjoy it when they have the same guest stars appearing on different shows. Like how they had Amdiral Nechayev and Admiral Chekote on both TNG and DS9, or Gul Evek appearing on TNG, DS9, and also in Voyager's pilot. This sort of thing is cool and helps establish a sense of "community" without feeling like small universe syndrome.

You know, I would have been satisfied with just a throw-away line mentioning the Enterprise being involved with the Dominion War in a DS9 episode.

16. C.E. Evans

Either no one thought of that or a producer shot the idea down and had it removed from a script for whatever reason...

17. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

I can't really add much else to this thread, but I do like some cross overs now and again. Really enjoyed seeing Geordie in Voyager.

18. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Crossovers are ok. I wouldn't have minded if DS9's final season had allowed the Dominion to win the war and the last two seasons of VOY dealt with their sudden return to the AQ right into a hairy situation. Half the DS9 and VOY cast could have been killed and the shows merged. I would have kept these characters:

DS9 - Kira, Bashir, O'Brien, Quark, Nog. Odo is playing for the other team. The others are dead.

VOY - B'elanna, Paris, EMH, Tuvok, Seven. The others are dead.

Mash them together into a single series for two years and use it as the launching pad for Star Trek: Resistance. Maybe four of that group (Kira, Nog, Tuvok, EMH are my nominees) survive all the way to the new show, with three or four new characters added in.

19. Eckauskas

Eckauskas Commander Red Shirt

Not sure if that appeals, character wise.

I was never a great fan of Seven. She was ok, and was good for the show to have her progress as a person. But I just didn't like her all that much. Never liked Quark, he did my head in.

Star Trek: Resistance sounds like a really good premise for a new show, however.