Anyone here play REAL RPGs face to face with paper and dice?

Discussion in 'Trek Gaming' started by Owen E Oulton, Feb 2, 2013.

1. Owen E Oulton

Owen E Oulton Ensign Newbie

The title says it all. I'm not interested in computer games or on-line games. I play the Last Unicorn Games' ICON system. Never could get into CODA. I used to play the FASA version back in the day... How about you guys?

2. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Commodore Commodore

Yes - but, many moons have passed since then...

Original D&D back in the very late '70s and yes, FASA Star Trek in the '80s. Along with a couple oddballs here and there.

3. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still play with my local group but we only tried to play Star Trek once many many moons ago. I found that bloodthirsty Dungeons & Dragons players just couldn't cope with the notion of playing Starfleet Officers.

I'd like to have a crack with Thousand Suns Star Trek conversion though. I even knocked little character sheets for TMP era characters.

4. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Captain Captain

FASA, but that way many moons ago. Have also played Star Frontiers with a little Trek modifications. Most of my pals are spread far and wide across the glode. They are trying to do a gaming reunion in June. I will suggest Star Trek to them.

5. Saturn0660

Saturn0660 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Back in high school I played a ton of D&D.. also did some SFB and odds and ends.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

I do. I used to play LUG Trek. It wasn't very good.

7. StarCruiser

On this tack - I haven't seen this posted yet:

http://www2.abillionmonkeys.com:3389/trek/

This is a 'tongue in cheek' Star Trek RPG system based off of Microlite d20 rules. There are even cardboard figures available from another site!

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

I used to - a LONG time ago. Mostly White Wolf and other custom variants my gaming group and I made based on the World of Darkness ruleset.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I used to and I still would if it weren't for the time requirement. :( Sadly, D&D (etc) is an all nighter - it takes hours to set up the characters. Once we're bashing monsters in the dungeon it's fun but too much setup. Not sure if other RPG's have this problem or not.

The recent solution my play groups and I have been enjoying- Descent: Journeys in the Dark Second Edition. The mechanics are quite simplified from that of D&D and the setup takes about 20 minutes. We are usually bashing monsters on turn 1, and they have map tiles and figurines to make the experience more tactile, but it's essentially a 'dungeon crawler' in a box with all the components to make it a familiar experience. I highly recommend - especially if your play group can only spare 1-3 hours at a time!!

10. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

on LUG?

I REALLY WISH they hadnt lost their license.

never PLAYED their material but a lot of the fluff they come up with, is very fascinating.

11. NightJim

NightJim Captain Captain

I did, up until a year and a half ago, when I moved away from the group. Tried quite a few games, D&D 3.5, Mutants and Masterminds, various WOD games.

We had two short lived sci-fi games. The first was in d20 Modern with the Future expansion. Problem is that expansion was pretty broken. The second game we tried GURPs 4th edition, but none of us liked that either. There was talk of starting a third game in True 20, but it never got off the ground.

12. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I played a lot of D&D, but never got into Trek RPG's. I really wanted to, but it just never happened. Now that I think of it, I have no idea why. All the guys I played D&D with were really into Star Trek. Shocking, isn't it?

13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Always thought FASA Trek was awesome. Never liked the systems that came after it when they lost the license, though.

14. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have a Star Trek game that I used to run based on GURPS. It's been on hiatus for a few years while I work on other projects, though.

I regularly play in games based on GURPS, V&V, and Storyteller.

15. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

I have the core rulebook for GURPS Prime Directive (the one made for GURPS 4th Edition), as well as faction books for the Federation, Klingons, and Romulans. Mostly, I use them as background sources, since I don't have an RPG group to hand.

If you wanted to give Prime Directive a try, it's currently supported in both GURPS 4e and D20 Modern editions, plus there'll be a Mongoose Traveller edition published at some point (hopefully this year). You can find some older editions (the original PD1, which had its own home-grown game engine, as well as editions for GURPS 3e and D20); but those are no longer actively supported.

I should note that these are set in the Star Fleet Universe, as opposed to the Paramount/CBS Franchise; so things wil be rather different to what you'd get in works created under a different licence. (So when I say I use them for background data, I mean data relevant to ADB's universe in particular.) If the SFU isn't your thing, Prime Directive might not be of much use for you.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  16. Mykl

Mykl Ensign Newbie

Used to play religiously (FASA, made up our own GURPS) and thinking about starting up again. Back then we said that online gaming wasn't 'real' gaming since you didn't know where to deliver the pizza to. Still makes sense to me.

17. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Every Saturday.

Champions, Fantasy Hero, a Hero System Star Wars Conversion, a Hero System Star Trek Conversion, Deadlands, Feng Shui, GURPS, Tunnels and Trolls...

Started in 1977, with Tunnels and Trolls, and Traveller.

18. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

I played the FASA STRPG, still the best IMO, as they didn't have to worry with the next episode ruining everything that they'd put in their sourcebooks, but then TNG came along and things went south fast.

Tried the Decipher and Last Unicorn versions, but they just didn't gel well with me.

Currently playing Traveller, All Flesh Must Be Eaten, and Doctor Who.

19. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I always wanted to try one of them, but I never had anyone near me who was interested in either Star Trek or tabletop RPGs so I never got a chance haha :(

20. StarCruiser

^ That's the main reason I stopped playing too... Finding others to play the games with became - impossible.