Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

The show itself can work week in/week out under various genres. I'm more interested in what characters will be used and actors cast. Will we have comic characters used to head up SHIELD or will they go the Coulson route again and try to create a character. The latter would allow for some flexibility in drama I'd think.

Now I wonder if they will try to have this as a mid-season debuting show around Jan '13 before Phase 2 of MCU starts or a Fall '13 show after IM 3 has opened? Depending on what, if any ties to the MCU, would there be a benefit?

2. Beagleman

Beagleman Commodore Commodore

My guess, it will be a mix of the two. Only makes sense...

3. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hell, she could be the female lead as Carol Danvers. Whedon is all about women's empowerment, afterall.

4. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Much as I'd love to see Carol Danvers onscreen, I'm not sure I'd feel the same about Dushku as a blonde. Although I guess comics characters haven't always kept their hair color when translated to live action (e.g. redheaded Noel Neill as Lois Lane, raven-haired Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang, or brunette John Wesley Shipp as Barry Allen).

Also, Ms./Captain Marvel is a Superman-level character power-wise, so it'd be hard to do her justice on a TV budget, and I wouldn't want to see her powers toned down. I'm hoping she'll show up in the movies, but I'm pretty sure a SHIELD TV series would deliberately focus on more normal, human characters. (Which is why I'm thinking Mockingbird for the female lead.)

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I think it's almost certain that there will be somebody with superpowers in the main cast. This is a Marvel show, even if it's focused less on the superheroes themselves. We'll also probably see superheroes and villains turn up in guest spots pretty regularly, I would think.

6. Christopher

To an extent, maybe, but it seems to me the whole point of focusing on SHIELD is to allow for a show that doesn't rely too heavily on special effects. It seems to me that a lot of the characters/concepts that Marvel has been reported as developing for TV these past couple of years are designed to lean toward more conventional TV formats and away from the heavy superhero action/costumes/etc., like a Punisher project (that fell through), a Mockingbird series described by Jeph Loeb as "Alias meets Felicity," or AKA Jessica Jones (which also fell through), based on the Alias comic (no relation) about an ex-superheroine turned detective. There's also a Cloak and Dagger show on their development slate, which would involve a fair amount of special effects, but not a huge amount. The one thing they're developing for TV that involves a really top-level superpowered protagonist is Guillermo Del Toro's Incredible Hulk project. And even that's about a guy who's just a normal human a lot of the time.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

This could be a way to introduce Carol Danvers as a Shield agent. This is must likely going to bridge together phase one with phase two. "How I Met Your Mother" was renewed by CBS last year for another three seasons but that does not mean Cobie can not appear in this if scheduling allows for it. She wouldn't be a major character, but Maria Hill could make occasional guest spots in it.

Not to mention we've yet to see Sharon Carter. Or Jessica Drew (although she could be hung up as a Sony property given her name). Like I said before, the character possibilities and with Joss involved are nearly limitless.

8. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Neal McDonough has a role on LA Noir, which is supposedly a lock at TNT. Maybe he cold play Dum Dum's grandson in cameos. I could see Samuel L. Jackson doing cameos; he does Mace Windu's voice on The Clone Wars, after all.

9. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Voice acting requires less of a commitment than live action appearances.

(And, anyway, IMDB tells me that Jackson only voiced the character in the theatrical movie that preceded the series; Terrence 'T.C.' Carson voices him on the television version).

10. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

She's not that powerful and she's not Binary anymore of course she's not a SHIELD agent anymore either.

11. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe there's going to be a spin off.

BARNEY & ROBIN

Directed by Joel Schumacher... oh wait, that's the other one.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

So I wonder if this will tie in to the Hulk series which Guillermo Del Toro was supposed to be doing for ABC? Or, with Mark Ruffalo's take on the character and his alter-ego having revived interest in more Hulk movies, will Marvel be keeping old Jade Jaws for the big screen?

13. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^
    Could two Marvel themed shows work at the same time?
    I mean we can't take away from all those intriguing moments on Bachelor or Dancing with the Stars. ;)

14. Admiral_Young

Carol is more like Power Girl in power comparison. Besides which we have no idea how they will introduce her character in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. They very well could use a combination of the Ultimate version (who is a Shield Agent) and the 616 version.

15. Captaindemotion

:lol: Good point.

No, seriously, though, while it would be a case of the more the merrier for me, I'm not sure that a network tv show would necessarily want two expensive shows like that on at the same time. There would be the cost of making them, then they'd be appealing to the same viewers, non-comic fans might decide to watch one, not the other, etc.

There would, of course, be the potential for crossover eps, like occasionally happened with Buffy and Angel. My main query was not based on the two tv shows angle, though, it was more that if Marvel had decided to revive Hulk as a movie franchise, they may not want to bother with him as a tv character.

16. Admiral_Young

Marvel Studios still has no plans to revive the Hulk solo film series (which baffles me given Ruffalo's popularity from "Avengers') plus his three picture deal or whatever it was.

I've been quite curious about Del Toro's "Hulk" and how it will be incorporated into the MCU...if at all. I don't think we've been given very many details yet on the series right?

17. Captaindemotion

^Ah, I think you're right actually. I remember when Avengers came out hearing that Ruffalo had been signed for something like 6 movies (3 Hulk, 3 Avengers, I thought) but the most recent talk from Feige was that no more Hulk movies were planned, isn't that right?

Here's the most recent interview I could find with GDT re the tv show.

http://collider.com/guillermo-del-toro-hulk-the-wolverine-interview/186970/comment-page-1/

18. Christopher

Power Girl, Superman -- they're both Kryptonians, right? I'm talking about the type of powers -- superstrength, superspeed, invulnerability, flight, energy projection, really top-level heavy-hitter stuff that would cost a lot of money to do well and thus could be done far more effectively in a feature film than on weekly TV. We've never seen a live-action Power Girl (except, apparently, in a series of comedy sketches on something called Attack of the Show and a couple of fan films), but we've seen literally decades' worth of live-action TV portrayals of Superman, and we've seen how much they have to limit their depiction of his powers due to the limitations of weekly television production. Superman's powers can be portrayed more impressively on the big screen than the small, and the same goes for Carol.

Now, true, I do think that story and character are more important than spectacle, but Carol Danvers is a character that deserves a really impressive live-action intro, and Marvel needs more female marquee heroes in its movies. So I'd rather see her on the big screen.

19. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

It's time for Eric O'Grady.

20. Admiral_Young

I too would prefer to see Carol on the big screen Christopher ...it was merely a suggestion of who we could possibly see in the series, and at the very least in the pilot episode. We know Joss is fond of strong female characters and Carol certainly matches the bill...but I do think you're right that they should reserve her for "Avengers 2" or another film.