Civilization V

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Hermiod, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Coming this Autumn.

Screenshots here.

2. The Evil Dead

The Evil Dead Vice Admiral Admiral

I plan to make the most out of my remaining 6 months of social activity.

3. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

I'll probably end up picking it up. I enjoyed Civ IV, though I only play it occasionally and treat it as a sandbox.

I'm trying to decide if that article is tongue in cheek though. I'm fairly sure I could have written that description!

4. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

Looks very.... hexy. ;)

5. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

You know, I've never really properly played Civilisation. I mean, sure, I've dipped into it a bit in the past, but never properly tried to learn it. I might just try out Civ5 when it comes out, see what all the fuss is about.

6. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope it comes out on September 1 because my master's thesis is due August 31, that way my long, frustrating, sleepless nights can be replaced with... long, frustrating, sleepless nights. :scream:

7. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have played every Civ so far so I'll probably get this one as well. But I'll wait until the gold edition comes out so I can get the expansions as well.

8. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That would be the best strategy. Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to hold out that long.

9. SG-17

SG-17 Commodore Commodore

From what info was posted on Apolyton about it, Civ5 seems to be much more like Civ3 than Civ4, which is awesome.
    http://apolyton.net/forums/showpost.php?p=5753192&postcount=23
    Problem is I will most likely need to get a new computer, and I start college this Fall.

CivFanatics is probably going to be the foremost source of info because Sid Meier has been known to post there occasionally.

10. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm still having fun with Civ IV so I'll get by.

11. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cheers for the list, SG-17. :techman:

Technically there will be less since you can only move in 6 direction as opposed to 8, but the more I contemplate a hex board the more I like it.

Excellent! :D Unit stacking was very dull, all you needed was 5 or 6 bombardiers, 3 or 4 defensive units and a shitload of offensive units and you could destroy an empire. I wouldn't have minded unit stacks if they had implemented them the way they were in the Call to Power games, back when stack composition was extremely important, but in Civ 4 it came down to who had the bigger stack almost all the time.

Good, good, I enjoyed that in Civ 3.

I'll believe it when I play it and Montezuma doesn't attack me completely at random. Better diplomatic AI has been promised since Civ 2, but they still act like vicious six-year olds.

Good good, I'm a builder so more diplomacy options is always a plus in my book.

Once again, they keep promising this, but the AI always resorts to cheating in the final product, especially at higher difficult levels.

That's a pity, I rather liked it. :( I was hoping that they'd flesh it out and make the religions more unique, cutting it entirely seems like a step back. Or more likely, they're holding it back for an expansion.

Seems odd when applied to horses, but it is vaguely understandable when it comes to resources like oil.

Sounds good, I always wanted them to do something like this rather than the mindless barbarians we have now.

I liked civics, but I'll wait and see how this social policy thing works before judging the change. So long as they don't move back to the rigidity of government types. :scream:

Very interesting, I can't wait to see how this will play out. Usually, once you take their capital they're already defeated.

There's no mention of the one thing I loath about Civ 4: the AI spamming cities all over the place, especially annoying when they sneak around your empire and place a lone city cut off from their empire and demand open borders to reach it. Hopefully there will be enough city states in the game to prevent things like that from happening.

Overall, I'm looking forward to it. :) I just hope that my PC can handle it without any major upgrades.

12. ShamelessMcBundy

ShamelessMcBundy Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well i for one, want this game.

13. Lindley

Lindley Moderator with a Soul Premium Member

Are they keeping espionage? I found that a bit of a mixed bag in Civ 4. On the one hand, I appreciated the return of the ability to foment revolt in enemy cities; on the other, I never seemed to keep up with anyone else in espionage points.

14. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

Anyone else think the hex-system makes CivV look like a massive, massive game of Settlers of Catan?

Regardless, looking forwards to this. I suck at Civ, but that doesn't mean I don't love playing it.

15. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

They need to bring back Nimoy. :bolian:

16. Canadave

Canadave Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I love his narration in Civ4. It makes everything just a tiny bit more dramatic. Not to mention logical. :D

17. CTM

CTM Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

You just made my day! Hi. I'm CTM and I'm a CIV addict... however the stacking of units has royally pissed me off forever. In the real world you cannot have a functionally infinite number of units on the same terrain. The deployment of armies has always been about having space to maneuver - something that CIV has not done well with to date. That is the one big change I have been wishing for since my first game.

18. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Sounds intriguing. I never got into Civ 4, bought it for my father, who didn't like it (he still plays Civ3). I didn't like the graphics, but I didn't play it that much, though. I was gonna load it on my current computer, but he lost one of the discs.

I'm not sure Civ3 can be topped. It had a few good and bad quirks.

Limited horses seems silly. Resources could be exhausted in civ 3, so it's not new. Horses never were, though, because they can be raised.

Stacking was somewhat acceptable in past games because of the scale of the world, there should've been a limit though. 2 or 3 Infantry units occupying a space is one thing...30 is something else.

19. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

Awesome! I've only ever played Civ IV, but I find it hugely addicting. I'm sure Civ V would be just as good.

Best feature of the game, IMO. :techman:

Beep, beep, beep, beep...

20. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

Forgive me for being obtuse, but how do you get eight degrees of freedom from squares?