"Yorktown: A Time to Heal" - Official thread for the Sulu fan film!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Captain Atkin, Jun 2, 2011.

1. MikeH92467

MikeH92467 Admiral Admiral

Re: "Yorktown: A Time to Heal" - Official thread for the Sulu fan film

Sounds can be cleaned up to some extent, but that should be a last resort IMHO. I would think that a better alternative (if it's at all feasible) would be relooping the dialogue. I know it's a big PITA from a lot of different angles, but when you try to digitally remove extraneous noise from a soundtrack you run the risk of making things worse, not better with new artifacts and a general flattening of track. That's my 2 cents and I'd be more than happy if someone with more experience than I have would like to chime in. In fact, I'd be delighted to get some new ideas for cleaning up less than perfect sound tracks! They would no doubt come in handy in my own post-production work!

2. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

This is actually just a very short, 10 second clip, that was done in one take. If worse comes to worse, I will just have the actor reloop the dialogue.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2012
  3. Captain Atkin

The Nagaer...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

Nice picts, thanks. Any new teaser clips?

5. Captain Atkin

I'm still waiting on some FX stuff. I have enough original Super-8 footage to put together a teaser. As for the actual film, Stan Woo has informed me that he won't be able to give me the hard drive containing the digital copy of Yorktown until September of 2012. For me to make a second copy from the original Super 8 in Toronto would be too expensive. I'm still waiting on starfleet costumes from Kathy Pillsbury to film the Yorktown bridge scene, and I am also still waiting on the script from Stan and Paul to film the bridge scene. With any luck, I'll have that bridge stuff shot by this summer.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  6. Axiom1

Axiom1 Ensign Red Shirt

Lets just say this project has been long overdue. Thanks to some excellent line production and post follow up work John is helping with, and some stellar CGI from Roland, not to mention a great line up of additional actors like Brian Rivera, it should be fun to see the final result. When we shot the film we always hoped we'd be able to finish it. Like so many things sometimes they get shelved longer than you expect. Better late than never...

In the meantime, while John continues piece things together I'll try and post up some things some of you might find of interest. Here's the early K fighter before Andy smoothed out the design:

[​IMG]

7. jackizmack

jackizmack Cadet Newbie

Hey there, i just joined this site because i am a TOS fan and was curious about the Yorktown project. However, i am also a sound engineer and have cleaned up lots of live recordings. If you need abit of sound cleaned up i may be able to do it for ya. I have alot of 'editing' tricks.

jp

8. Captain Atkin

Hey JP, thanks for the message. Drop me a line if you get a chance. Best way to reach me is through the Yorktown facebook group. http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/yorktownmovie/

I spent the afternoon today editing the teaser trailer. It will be a few weeks before I post it, as I am waiting on new FX, but the rough cut is finished. The trailer right now is 1 min, and 38 seconds, and has more 80s footage in it than anyone has seen in about 20 years.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  9. scifib5st

I like the sound of that!! Keep up the good work.

10. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Here's to it, the new Sulu fan film! *raises glass in salute* Can't wait to see this one out there for the fans. I love Star Trek and especially anything to do with George Takei. Takei breathed such life into his role in the original series and first six features that I honestly can't wait to see what you guys have done with your film.

11. trekspeak

trekspeak Ensign Red Shirt

Hello all on the thread,
    I posted this on it's own thread but also thought to post it here as well.
    I wanted to let you know about a Video Podcast on Youtube and Itunes called Trekspeak.
    The most recent episode features an interview with John Atkin, a regular contributor to this thread and Supervising producer for Yorktown A Time to Heal.

Yorktown : A Time to Heal featured George Takei playing Sulu in between Star Trek III and IV. Due to an article in Starlog magazine at the time, many people are aware of the film however very little footage has ever been seen.

In this video interview available also as a podcast on Itunes, John shares the background on the film including how Stan Woo managed to get George Takei involved as well as Andrew Probet who designed starships for the film. The film is now being remastered from old negatives with new footage being shot and John discusses how the old footage will be matched to the new. What ships are we going to see courtesy of Roland Baron(Of Gods and Men, VFX)?, How have the old cast reacted to the remastering and many more questions are discussed in this 37 minute interview.

Youtube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQCKawMei6Q

The video includes never before seen Yorktown footage featuring Sulu and a glimpse at the new Klingon scenes recently filmed to be added the original footage and also many photos from the set, new ship designs and much more.
    A new VFX trailer is available and that is also included as well as a commonly available non remastered trailer.

If this is of any interest to you or your readers, feel free to share it.
    Thanks alot and I will include links to the 3 available videos all of them discussing a different fan film project with another film maker.
    I hope to cover many more subjects in the future.

George Takei Fan Film Interview : Youtube link : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQCKawMei6Q
    Star Trek : The Final Darkness fan film interview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAFdFV-znso
    Star Trek : Project Potemkin fsn film interview : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aKHGuBb9fM

http://www.trekspeak.com (Links to Youtube page)
    Trekspeak on itunes
    http://www.twitter.com/trekspeak
    http://www.facebook.com/trekspeak

12. Captain Atkin

Just so everyone knows, I accidently said that Will Rodriguez was working on Star Trek: Excalibur in the interview, when I meant to say that Joe Kerezman was producing Excalibur. Joe Kerezman was also an actor in Yorktown, and I got the two names mixed up by mistake. You can see Joe in a clip of the newer foatage that was posted in the interview, wearing a blue starfleet uniform and standing across from Sulu.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2012
  13. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What is George Takei's stance on this rather exciting fan film? Is he happy that it will finally see the proverbial light of the day at some point soon in the future?

14. Captain Atkin

I haven't talked to him, but I would imagine that he would be happy about this. We plan on showing the film to him first before we post it online, to ensure that he is happy with the final cut.

15. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

When you say Joe Kerezman was an actor on Yorktown, do you mean in the recently shot stuff or the original 80s photography?

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
  16. Captain Atkin

A young Joe Kerezman appears in the original 1987 footage.

[​IMG]

17. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

He's in the blue shirt on the right.

18. Captain Atkin

I just finished editing the rough cut for the live action trailer of Yorktown last night. Just waiting for some Klingon battlecruiser FX to insert, and then it will be ready to post. It will be posted in the next 4 to 5 weeks on Vimeo and Youtube. The trailer clocks in at just under 2 minutes.

19. Potemkin_Prod

Potemkin_Prod Commodore Commodore

Looking forward to it!

20. scifib5st

Good news on the ETA on the trailer. Thanks for the update.