"The Dark Knight Rises" storyline revealed?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Stone_Cold_Sisko, Dec 4, 2010.

1. http://www.aintitcool.com/node/47661

In a somewhat cryptic post, AICN is saying that a source is telling them the story for The Dark Knight Rises involves Tom Hardy playing Dr. Hugo Strange, and that the plot will be heavily influenced by a specific Batman story... PREY, by Doug Moench.

I've never read that particular story. The AICN story gives some details on that particular story and it certainly sounds very Nolan-ish.

2. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always wanted to use Hugo Strange in a Batman story.

I am both elated and crushed by this, if true.

3. The more I read about this "Prey" storyline the more I believe this rumor. The plot and tone fits like a glove.

4. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

It does. It would make a lot of sense for this story to take place after the events of The Dark Knight and Hugo Strange as a villain has a wealth of untapped potential. He's a villain that strives on psychological torment and it would absolutely fit Nolan's sensibilities and the type of Batman movies he enjoys to make.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah this story was brought up on another website a couple weeks ago. I agree the story fits like a glove for the type of world that Nolan has created. Hugo Strange has always been one of my favorite rogues and I thought how "The Batman" used him was excellent. The plot of "Batman:Prey" makes me excited for "The Dark Knight Rises". The graphic novel is so old though that my library has no copies of it and it doesn't even have a wikiarticle lol.

6. byron lomax

byron lomax Commander Red Shirt

A couple of months back, I speculated which Batman stories might be used as an ideal basis for the next Nolan movie - and Prey was the first story I thought of. Like everyone says, it fits like a glove.

Still, I don't imagine Hugo Strange as the primary (or at least only) antagonist, so certain elements would definitely be lifted from the story, but probably with additions and modifications.

It's an excellent story, by the way; from the early days of the Legends of the Dark Knight title, when it was consistantly good. Pity it's out of print.

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Who the hell is Dr. Hugo Strange?:shrug:

8. byron lomax

Dr Hugo Strange is one of Batman's very first villains, who has been portrayed as either a crazy psychologist, crazy geneticist, or both. Turns up in the 70s storyline Strange Apparitions by Engelhart and Rogers, the aforementioned Prey, and, more recently, in Matt Wagner's Batman and the Monster Men - a remake of Hugo's original story.

9. watermelony2k

watermelony2k Vice Admiral Admiral

Tahlia? Catwoman?

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

That doesn't sound like a very good movie compared to the first two... I haven't read the story just how AICN described it.

11. Voyager_freak

Voyager_freak Cadet Newbie

it sounds awesome! cant wait to see it

12. Admiral_Young

I like it because I can see the Nolans and Goyer making it fit as has been suggested like a glove especially after the events of "The Dark Knight". I highly suggest watching the first season of "The Batman" since he was a primary villain in the show. I realize to some casual Batman fans that he might not seem like a particularly interesting villain or even a main villain but the way Nolan writes and his fascination with these types of "cerebral" unconventional characters makes me elated that he is being used or is being reported that he is the villain. I think that if Selena appears she will be a secondary character but featured prominently and might even be combined as the romantic interest.

Wikipedia is your friend.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugo_Strange

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

This sounds interesting and plausible. Apart from the fact that it was reported on AICN. ;)

14. byron lomax

Personally, I loathe Talia and hope she isn't the primary villain. Catwoman may be good for some minor screentime (like in Miller's Year One or, indeed, Prey). I'm beginning to wish more and more that the Riddler hadn't been completely ruled out....

15. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

If you want to know about Hugo Strange, you should watch the very fun "Batman: The Animated Series" episode "The Strange Secret of Bruce Wayne". The character is goofy and played for laughs in the episode as he arrogantly presumes that he's smarter than Batman and ultimately gets completely tricked. It's very entertaining and even though Hugo is a bit ridiculous in it, based on the episode I can see how the character could be effective if played straight.

Whenever I hear about Hugo Strange, I always think of him as a guy obsessed with exposing Batman's secret identity. The only other experience I have with this character is a Batman comic audio tape I listened to as a kid, and in that as well, that same obsession was his defining personality trait. I don't know how close that is to his depiction in the comics, though.

16. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

It certainly sounds interesting. I gotta say that.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

18. Admiral_Young

I think we need to start consolidating Dark Knight Rising threads or at least create a general discussion thread.

19. Whofan

Whofan Fleet Captain

It would certainly be interesting to use a Batman villain that general (non-comic-reading) audiences aren't that familiar with...although technically that could be said of Ras Al Ghul and to a lesser extent the Scarecrow.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't read Prey since I got it off the racks but recall those covers were cool. The first 50 issues of that series were all of high quality. Over the holiday when I'm at my parents I should go dig that out of the attic and refresh myself with it.

If this is indeed true and Hugo Strange is a main baddie then it's official, and good imo, that we are now into a second tier of Batman's Rogue Gallery. Hopefully it will allow others to not fear using Black Mask or Tally Man assuming they stay in Nolan's world. Bane could be done right in Nolans world. If they don't mind rebooting then I'd love another Riddler and even second tier gimmick baddies like Maxie Zeus or King Tut (they could be used as fodder in an opening sequence) and I still want Killer Croc and Clayface to get a big screen treatment at some point.