a la carte programming - TV

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by jefferiestubes8, Nov 30, 2010.

1. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Allowing the consumer to pick channels rather than packages hasn't happened yet...
    And this is not cable or satellite or IPTV specific.

http://paidcontent.org/article/419-why-cheaper-cable-opens-a-pandoras-box/

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE6AS2E120101129?pageNumber=2

Microsoft is in development on a new subscription-based TV service on its Xbox gaming console for 2012 and beyond.
    according to the article.

http://mashable.com/2010/11/29/microsoft-iptv/

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20101115/ENTERTAINMENT/101119535/1275?p=4&tc=pg

The FCC is what it may take. In 2006
    http://paidcontent.org/article/419-why-cheaper-cable-opens-a-pandoras-box/

http://techcrunch.com/2010/11/29/microsoft-tv-a-bold-move-that-may-blow-up-broadcast/

Hey guys shall we discuss the great possibilities of a la carte programming?
    I really don't think commercials will be going away since the whole idea of Hulu Plus was to get you to pay for content not to make the advertising go away...

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm hoping for something along those lines, as I briefly mentioned when I pointed out the Xbox news in the Gaming forum.

3. Flavius

Flavius Vice Admiral Admiral

Please explain to me why that would be desirable even?

I have to say I like the old ways better. You know, where some greedy monopolist is dropping several dozen HD channels on me, without even telling me (well, I probably threw away that junk mail) - channels I most likely never ever watch, but who knows, right?

However, I haven't watched Live TV in like seven years now. A la carte means to me that I get to pick what I record and watch whenever I want. Our most recent addition is the new Apple TV. We use those to add our sizable iTunes libraries to the mix, watch more recent movies or TV shows, but right now it's Netflix that seems to have what our Kids want to watch the most.

You know, I'd love to pay for a channel in [name you mother tongue here], but I can't get it. Yet.

4. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm all for a la carte programming--I have like 200+ channels and I don't watch but maybe 5% of them.

5. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the timing is wrong. This would have been hugely popular 10-15 years ago.

The ONLY thing that might make money at this is the sports channels. Live sports is the one holdback I see consistently mentioned online as people's reason for not dumping cable. There are lots of people out there who, if they could just get ESPN and its subsidiaries, would dump the rest of cable in a heartbeat.

Other than that, most of us have moved beyond wanting specific channels to wanting specific shows, which we can get either online or on DVD.

6. jefferiestubes8

Due to licensing in various countries it makes it harder to do this kind of thing Internationally. Not impossible but just more complex when you are talking about rolling out a new feature or brand of content.

Microsoft has more than just ESPN3...
    http://www.broadbandtvnews.com/2010/11/29/micorsoft-planning-virtual-cable-for-xbox/

I can see offering various foreign language channels one subscription at a time.

Sakrysta this is why I started a thread in Future of Trek [ Would it really matter if the next Trek series were on linear TV? ]
    about the next Trek TV series possibly not being on a linear TV channel but as a subscription or video-on-demand only... (in 4-6 years...)

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I feel like this kind of programming would kill new shows before they ever got off the ground. For a long time, LOST was the only thing I ever watched on ABC. If I wasn't subscribing to ABC (which I wouldn't have been), I would have completely missed out on that show.

Giving everybody access to the same channels at least gives them the opportunity to tune into new TV shows.

8. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I think the trend away from multi-channel cable packages will certainly have an impact on people's watching habits. I know that when I cancelled my subscription to cable, my TV watching became much more deliberate. I found out about shows that might interest me through word of mouth or advertising, and made a point of seeking them out. I no longer spent time floating through dozens of channels full of worthless programming looking for something interesting to watch. Instead, now I watch what I want when I want, and spend the rest of my time on other pursuits.

Overall, it's been an extremely positive change.

9. jefferiestubes8

I agree. It's been 3 1/2 years since I have not had cable TV. Our lives and schedules are pretty busy anyway and watching things on Netflix allows me to watch when I want to. I wish I didn't have to wait 1 year for a series to come out on physical DVD though and soon it will be download/streaming for me.

10. darthraidr

darthraidr Commodore Commodore

isn't that what Marketing is supposed to do? If you don't hear about a show, chances are it wasn't marketed well.

An a la carte change would require more marketing money to be spent outside of the channel itself, but that isnt new. i dont subscribe to HBO but i still know about their shows because they market them.

it may also require some free online previews to get people interested in subscribing... again, it's something the premium channels have done in the past. now it would require more channels to do it.

it could screw over the really small channels or the start up channels, but again, i think clever marketing could help out.

11. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. I've gone without cable for nearly a year now and I really don't miss it. I've fully-embraced new media as a platform for watching television. Between Hulu, Netflix and DVDs I am able to watch what I need. Sometimes I'm able to watch my shows the day after air (if available on Hulu) and sometimes I have to wait for the DVD. Sure, it's an inconvenience, but I have enough to keep me occupied. Watching anything "live" during broadcast just doesn't interest me anymore. I like the flexibility that new media technology allows.

As a consumer, I would see the appeal of a la carte programming, but as a network or cable service provider, it makes bad business sense. Cable networks rely heavily on subscription fees as a revenue stream (along with commercial advertising). If consumers are able to pick and choose what cable networks they pay for, networks will lose a ton of money.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't afford to get rid of cable. I'd lose some of the baseball programming I love to watch. During the season, if the Yankees (my favorite team) play the Royals, I would have to watch that game on TV, since I live within Royals territory and so the game would be blacked out of MLB.TV which is where I usually watch games. Also, *all* postseason games are blacked out. If I got rid of cable, I'd have to wait and watch those games on a delay, and I am way too impatient for that.

13. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Not if you subscribe to the right channels.

I mean, you don't need Lifetime or HGTV to watch baseball.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Without a la carte programming, you do.

15. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

Well, right...but since this thread is about a la carte programming, I didn't really think that was an issue.

16. jefferiestubes8

There is a similar discussion going on over in the Gaming forum you may want to check out:
    Xbox TV
    It's more the business aspect of using the hardware though.

17. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Yeah, that's what it's become, though that's not what I had initially expected when I posted that thread. I was more interested in this sort of a la carte programming idea. Being able to subscribe to specific cable channels and watching them through my Xbox, in addition to already being able to watch Netflix through my Xbox? Hell yes, I love that idea.