First footage from RoboCop reboot is here

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Flying Spaghetti Monster, Jul 8, 2012.

1. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

here

It's close but I miss the old Ed 209

Still, I'm curious...

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I like it. I was wondering how they'd handle a remake. The original was so rooted in '80s themes of corporate corruption and excess, and while those are still regrettably timely today, I've felt from the start that the remake would have to find a new angle to make it relevant for today (and to make it worthwhile to remake). And it seems they've found it by tapping into modern concerns about excessive surveillance in the name of public safety, a theme also seen in Person of Interest. The OmniCorp slogan -- "We've got the future under control" -- has a nice, ominous undercurrent, a hint of a police state where liberty has been compromised in the name of safety. If that's the angle the movie takes, it could be going someplace interesting.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Sigh, another remake...

4. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

I like that the trailer is basically a commercial for OC. It peaks interest without giving too much away.

And I agree with Christopher about the excessive surveillance angle, since there was recent talk about using drones in the U.S. for "law enforcement".

5. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Still looks like ED-209 can be outsmarted by a flight of stairs.

6. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

That actually was pretty good. I'll wait for the other trailers.

7. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

The thing is twice the size of an M1A2 tank now if that video is accurate to what will be shown in the movie. I don't think walking up and down stairs (or walking through doors without destroying the building in the process) is an option any more.

8. Christopher

Of course, since this is a viral marketing campaign, we can't assume that the ED-209-like mecha will even be in the actual movie. It could just be an homage inserted by the makers of this particular viral campaign. Or it could have a cameo in the film no greater than what we see here, as something shown during a company presentation video. These days a lot of material gets made specifically for advance promotions and isn't in the actual movie at all. So it's best not to jump to conclusions.

9. Locutus of Bored

Not only did I not jump to any conclusions about the film itself, I specifically threw in a disclaimer that this video might not have anything to do with what is shown in the movie. So, thanks for another unnecessary correction, I guess.

Besides, what's the point of this thread if people aren't supposed to speculate on what they see? Should we just limit ourselves to saying "neat" or "that sucks"? Your post up top contains plenty of speculation about the possible themes of the film based on this viral video.

10. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The trailer looks nice, but I'm mixed on the ED-209 if it happens to be in the movie. It looks too much like a generic mecha IMO, and I have to agree with FSM that given the choice, I'd go with the original. But I'm not in any position to judge yet.

11. Christopher

Geez, Locutus, don't take it so personally. I wasn't trying to quash speculation, just to offer a bit of perspective. And I wasn't directing it specifically at you. These are public forums read by a wide audience.

12. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

13. Locutus of Bored

Fair enough. I apologize.

14. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

That's always going to be the trouble with adapting such an iconic design (and I suppose remakes in general.) Too close to the source and it's just a cheep copy, too far removed and it's not honouring the source material. Try to do both at once and you end up with some ill designed mess like the JJ-prise.

The real test for this film of course is how they deal with the design of Robocop himself and if that brief glimpse is any indication, I think they've gone the "do something totally new" route.

15. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The new ED-209 looks pretty fierce, but with all the extra detail it's hard to see any personality under there. The original was supposed to be like a big, dumb bulldog, and that was clearly reflected in the design.

This looks more like some Decepticon from out of a Transformers movie or something.

16. clint g

clint g Admiral Admiral

Wasn't the company called Omni Consumer Products in the original, or am I mis-remembering something?

17. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

You are correct.

18. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

That was decent trailer. I don't think this movie really needed to be made, but I'm open to it.

19. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Did the original RoboCop need to be made?

20. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Ok, no movie "needs" to be made. I just don't really feel any strong desire for another Robocop film.