A storyline for Giles in Buffy S7

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Joe Washington, Apr 16, 2011.

1. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Do you think this could have worked as a storyline for Giles in S7?

At some point in the season, we find out that Giles got into a romantic relationship with someone when he returned to England in S6 and that his girlfriend is pregnant with Giles’ child. Giles doesn’t know he’s up for being an actual father and finds himself torn between such responsibilities and his responsibilities with Buffy, the other Scoobies, and the Potentials.

2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Sure, why not. And of course the First learns about her and sends ubervamps to take her hostage or something. Better yet, mind-controlled Spike back to merry ole England!

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Frankly I think an ultimate plan for Giles was to have the BBC "Ripper" spin off series go through. That didn't happen so they had to bring back Tony Head sporadically.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Since Giles was bein' set up as a representation of the First when he came back to Sunnydale (ya did notice no one touched him, right?), I don't think havin' responsibilities back home would have worked, since it wouldn't have been a plausible issue 'til after he got tackled by the Scoobies durin' the Slayerettes campin' trip.

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not crazy on the idea of Giles being a father since for me it would tread on that role he kinda had with the Scoobies. On the other hand, it would have been a metaphor for how families change and expand these days, with parents becoming parents again in other relationships. I'm not mad on the idea of Giles not knowing he is a father since that smacks of him being irresponsible, and I see him as a responsible character.

6. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

This would have been a better excuse than what they used when Giles ditched them during Buffy's depression in season six.

7. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

He ditched Buffy 'cause he was standin' in her way to becomin' an adult. He couldn't kick her out of her own house, and couldn't stay in Sunnydale himself, 'cause she would keep turnin' to him for help, or assume he would provide it.

Plus, he got an awesome '80s trainin' montage out of it!

8. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

WillsBabe: Giles knows he is a father. He just isn't sure he's ready for that because he fears that would take him away from his time with Buffy and the Scoobies.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep. Giles left because he knew Buffy didn't need him any more. Buffy thinks she did, but that isn't the case. When things fall apart with Dark Willow at the end of Season Six it was impact full because he knew they all needed him.