STID "tracking" for $85-90 million opening [U.S. box office]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RAMA, Apr 26, 2013.

1. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: First Contact made $164,686,000 Adjusted in North America alone and $261,349,000 worldwide adjusted for dollar inflation.

2. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

$80.5 million international

3. Dart

Dart Commodore Commodore

https://twitter.com/ERCboxoffice
    "FAST & FURIOUS 6 debuted in the UK with $13.8M--Universal's largest opening ever there."

I honestly don't get the love for this crap.

4. Flake

I have noticed some people blaming the powerball for the low performance... did people spend their Cinema money on the lottery instead of Star Trek ? :)

5. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Yeh just saw that on Deadline so even better with a worldwide total of $164.9M (lets say $165) already off a $190 budget. STID is going to smash ST09 worldwide total and make anywhere between $450-500 million pre Blu Ray/DVD and other revenue streams.

:techman:

6. Flake

Teens & 20-somethings can't get enough of it. It'll do $700m worldwide I reckon.

7. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

But how do the production and marketing costs compare?

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Nope from what I've seen if you multiply by the adjuster, it comes out to $164 million. I'll double check it though.

9. Flake

Its not true yet, STID is @ $164.5m WW vs $261m WW for First Contact adjusted.

Budget for Star Trek First Contact is $80m adjusted for inflation vs $190m for STID.

EDIT: First Contact budget is $66m adjusted for inflation, not $80m

10. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Marketing costs are not counted as part of the budget, it's a myth. It's a different dept and different expense. You can count it on a real level as a cost of doing business for the movie, but the studio won't hold the marketing cost against the movie.

RAMA

11. Flake

I might be wrong actually but it is more than 164m adjusted worldwide. You can adjust the domestic total on Box Office Mojo for North American ticket price inflation, but that does not apply to foreign gross. I think perhaps you have to adjust that by dollar inflation on a different calculator. It is at least 164+54m

EDIT: Star Trek First Contact made approx $80m overseas according to http://www.usinflationcalculator.com/ - I input $54m into that and it becomes $80m so FC made approx $244.6m worldwide adjusted for inflation.. if that is how I do it :)

12. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

$164 million may be off but the adjusted domestic I saw for STFC was $129 million not $164 million. Ok I'll try and investigate...I hate all that adjusted business anyway.

Regardless of the actual figure, my original point still stands, $158 to 165 million WW is sensational. STID effectively grossed a huge part of the STFC gross in just over a week.

13. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Well at least it's no longer a flop, just underwhelming since it's at the low end of Paramount's long term estimates with the higher being 120m. Such a shame, I was hopeful of 100m+.

Back to the drawing board.

14. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I hate to sound snobby, but it targets the lowest common denominator then works its way up getting by as an action flick. When I was at the flicks on Friday to see STiD with my mum (kinda a tradition with Trek since I was a child, don't hate), FF6 queue was full of rapscallions who you'd never imagine Trek appealing to.

15. Flake

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/franchises/chart/?id=startrek.htm

That is my source, it has inflation adjusted numbers at the bottom but only for North America. It does not adjust the overseas numbers for inflation because the ticket prices differ in different countries.

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well it's all semantics anyway: STID may be "disappointing" but it's not weak at all. Then you have to define disappointing. With Imax and the success of the last movie, you'd think it would have done $100 million over 5 days. Failure or flop would mean it didn't cover cost. A opening flop may have meant a $40-50 million weekend. Clearly that is NOT the case. Considering the movie cost $180-190 million, STID has almost covered that in just over a week at $165 million gross by the end of Sunday. Again the naysayers have failed.

RAMA

17. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

There's plenty to factor into the equation, though. I want you to be right, RAMA, but I feel like you're missing pieces in your puzzle. No offense!

Worldwide, Nemesis made $67 million on a $60 million budget. Ask the completely uninformed individual what this means, and you may get an answer along the lines of, "well, it only made $7 million, but it made $7 million! That's cool, at least. It isn't a flop."

Marketing costs alone surely mean pre-home release, Nemesis didn't make a dime.

18. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

STID will make what x2.25 its production budget and thats not including other revenue streams to come so screw the marketing for STID, it will turn a health profit and probably a bigger one than ST09 did.

19. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

You want FF6 numbers for Trek? You've got to put Kirk and Gaila in a small shuttlcraft and have them chase Cumberbatch (and his Eugenically Enhanced Sidekick Bit*h) all over Known space to the latest hip hop tunes.

You have to have chase scenes, hip hop music, and scantily clad Orion Slave women.

800 million, easy.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Getting the budget back is not a hit film--it is merely breaking even, and unless that 180-190 million included the promotional costs too, it has a long way to go. Considering most films' earnings slow with each passing week, and ST is not on The Avengers or Batman level of pop culture interest (where 2nd and third huge weeks are possible), there are no guarantees of a success.

ST will need to pull in at least twice the budget for anyone to consider this a genuine hit movie--certainly enough to warrant another production.