"Amazing Spider-man 2" discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

They also did it in the Ultimate comics, except there it turned out that "Richard" was really an aged up clone of Peter meant to lure him into a trap.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Both sound awful, and make excellent arguments against ever doing it again.

3. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

And there's a reason why they have rarely been mentioned ever again. No one cares. Not in the comics, not in the films. The Parkers are dead weight.

4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I agree with this point.

I enjoyed this film a lot, and even though I knew what would happen to Gwen (potentially) I was surprised that they went through with it.

For me, this was a very character driven movie, with Peter and Gwen's relationship carry it the most of the way through. It was nice to see Peter weighing the consequences of trying to keep his promise and his love for Gwen.

Harry was a very interesting and haunted character. I was surprised at Goblin being in so soon, but it worked with Harry's character arc.

Despite juggling several plot lines it the movie moved a long at a good pace and I was surprised at the ending coming up so soon.

My only complaints would be the defeat of Electro and how much Peter's parents' story influence the plot line.

Overall, really enjoyed this film. Fun ride :D

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

6. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

So, ASM2 comes to DVD/BD today.

That's.... That's not a great sign considering it came out in May.

Meanwhile, Captain America 2 isn't due on home video until September when it came out in theaters in March.

7. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

ASM2 isn't out till September 1st here in the UK, whereas Cap 2 just came out on DVD/Blu-ray here yesterday. Picked up my copy this morning :)
    And I'll definitely be getting ASM2 in a fortnight. It was a fun movie, I'll happily watch it again

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't even own TASM1, it's uneven and mediocre. The sequel just went downhill and for me is GL type quality. I don't own GL and I've seen that for $4 at Target before.

9. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

It is available for Digital HD streaming today.

10. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

Richard Parker coming back from the dead would have been beyond stupid. I can't believe that made it to the filming stage. That just goes to show the ineptitude of the filmmakers that are currently making these movies.

No offense to them or anyone that enjoys these movies, but bringing back Richard Parker might have worked in the last one or the next one, but bringing him back after killing off Gwen Stacy would have felt too much like an off-the-wall twist to elicit a response from the audience - and it would have detracted from Peter coping with Gwen's loss.

To be honest, I was never a fan of the Parkers from the comics or their storyline. I hope that storyline has been resolved in The Amazing Spider-Man 2, allowing Peter to move on from that. Whoever ends up making Amazing Spider-Man 3 should feel a little happy, though. They have somewhat of a clean slate. The Richard/Mary Parker storyline has been hopefully resolved, Gwen Stacy is (unfortunately) gone, leaving the door open for someone like Mary Jane Watson or Felicia Hardy to appear. Personally, I hope they leave Mary Jane for the absolute end (she should appear in the very last scene of the film) and Felicia should be the love interest. It would shake things up and give Peter/Spider-Man someone a bit different to pine after for a change. That's just me, though.

11. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Felicia Hardy already has appeared, she was Harry's secretary. The film-makers said they were supposed to have a thing going on.

12. JacksonArcher

I know Felicia Hardy appeared. I meant Gwen's death opens the door for her to possibly have a bigger, more prominent role.

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Unless you know, they put Mary Jane into the third one. And I have no doubt they'll do that because she's a popular character from the comics and I'm sure Sony will be pressing the issue:

"We need a hit Mr. Webb! Put in that MJ broad that the comical book readers seem to love."*

*In my mind the Sony execs are out of touch with reality.

14. JacksonArcher

Oh, I totally agree with you.

I'm sure MJ will be the love interest. Even though having Felicia as the love interest would be more interesting. That's honestly why I have no faith in these movies - the people making the decisions don't seem to have a grasp on what works and what doesn't. Alas.

15. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, the characters in ASM2 -- at least the protagonists -- worked extremely well. There has never been a more perfect translation of Spider-Man as a character to the live-action screen, and Gwen Stacy was so awesome that they should've kept her alive and given her a spinoff. It's just the plot and the villains that weren't so great.

16. JacksonArcher

Yeah, I am sure the filmmakers/studio execs are kicking themselves for killing off Gwen Stacy now.

17. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

If anything they'd be kicking themselves for editing Shailene Woodley out of the movie givne how big she's become. But Gwen's death is an important part of the Spider-Man mythos and really nobody'd see a Gwen Stacy spinoff.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's comics, though -- they can resurrect anyone (except Uncle Ben).

Interesting column that touches on this subject:

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/08/11/she-has-no-head-sony-makes-their-move/

19. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Well, they did bring back Ben years ago. Or was that some Ben from another Universe? I can't remember.

20. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Did Peter get to have a brief visit with Uncle Ben's spirit/ghost in something like ASM #600? It was a milestone issue IIRC.