STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Looks like Starfleet has been arming up (in the wake of Nero).

2. The Rock

The Rock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I saw it yesterday in IMAX and I loved it. Better than the first movie!

3. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

More on the movie; the new Imax theater was awesome but the theater was surprisingly empty. as I left I saw that more people came in, but I saw ST09 3 times and the theater was always full. Perhaps this is not a good way to gauge.

Loved Imax 3D...not sure 2D will ever be enough now. lol

I'm going to see the movie again Sunday. Imax it is. Fandango reports 55% of people are going to see it more than once.

I forgot to mention I loved the ending.... Loved it... the crew prepping for a 5 year mission!? great stuff.... cool bridge crew with Carol and an android on board.

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

I didn't look at it in the sense of delivering side by side broadsides like galleons, I thought of it more like the high capacity vertical launch missile cells on modern destroyers, cruisers, subs, and so forth. If the torpedoes are capable of maneuvering to hit the target, why restrict them to a couple of forward or rearward facing tubes with a limited fire rate when you can have dozens of redundant launchers each capable of being loaded individually? That way you have a much higher rate of fire, and if some launchers are incapacitated, you have several more still operational.

On the flipside of that, and going back to your original point, if you are in an up close and personal battle with a nearby ship (which is not realistic in actual space battle terms, but fits within Star Trek), having fore, aft, port, and starboard facing torpedo tubes allows you to fire in all (horizontal) directions (unless they have vertical tubes too) while requiring little maneuvering by the torpedoes, which means they can conserve fuel and attack at higher speeds since they haven't been turning to reach the target.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When I saw the film again tonight I noticed that the archive is called The Kelvin Archive, that was cool.

6. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep

[​IMG]

7. topas

topas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Must be some Kelvin-fixation on the writers' side. One of the main characters of Fringe (same writers/producers as Star Trek) used to run a company named Kelvin Genetics.

8. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe Kelvin is the name of Abrams' grandfather. The registry of the USS Kelvin was his birthday.

9. cbspock

cbspock Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I have seen the film 2 times so far, once as a double feature with the the first movie, then in 3D IMAX last night. I liked the film. I thought the first half worked better than the last half. While it was cool to see Old Spock, they could have done without it. It just serves to ramp up how dangerous Khan is if you couldn't already tell. Reversing the TWOK engine room scene was a risk. I thought it actually worked pretty well given the story they were telling, although it felt more like Kirk saving the Enterprise in Generations, then Spock saving the Enterprise in Wrath of Khan. The use of the famous "Khan" line was a risk, it could have played as a joke line since that what is has become in pop culture. I thought it worked in the scene, but it could have gone the other way.

I really enjoyed the Pike / Kirk / Spock scenes in the beginning of the film. Also with Pike's death, Kirk's reaction was like his reaction in Obsession when they encountered the same creature that attacked the USS Farragut, and killed another Captain who Kirk looked up to and Kirk was determined not to make the same mistake this time around.

The Budweiser engineering didn't bother me as much this time around.

I'm looking forward to Star Trek 3, for the next story I hope they decide to explore new territory and not re-work an old mission into a story. If they want to make an old episode the pre-title opening that would be a cool callback but the story itself needs to be a new adventure.

One question, where was shuttle bay 2??? Looks like the ship left from the side of the secondary hull??

-Chris

10. shatastrophic

shatastrophic Commander Red Shirt

When I saw it we got in line and such but when they finally sat us I noticed the theater wasn't full either. It wasn't until the movie started that it was getting filled in, then I read some dumb article on IMDB that stated its wed opening was tepid and that half of the gross was IMAX 3D. In 09' there was way more people at the opening. I think the weekend will be better though. I loved it and am seeing it again tomorrow, repeat visits will help too.

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

A- Really enjoyed this one! Mostly positives. The characters were great. Unlike ST09, I can really buy into them as the characters they are portraying (except perhaps Scotty). There were great moments between the characters too.

The story was great. Definitely lots of interesting things going on. The SFx, as expect, were superb. No problems there.

I was expecting to really enjoy Cumberbatch, and I did. However, all the comparisons to TWOK really reminded me that I just preferred Montablans (sp?) portrayal of Khan over Cumberbatch's.

There were so many references to the original series, and movies, that they definitely treated the franchise with respect.

In the end, this movie was probably the best it could be with the rebooted characters. I don't mean that as a slight at all. I was impressed with how much I could connect with them after just 2 movies.

However, it's just hard to compete with characters/actors that we've watched for decades vs just 2 movies. Some of the meaningful moments just meant less because with just a few hours of screen time, I was less invested in the characters.

So, great movie! Really enjoyed it! Can't quite compete with the best of the non-reboot movies through no fault of their own.

Mr Awe

12. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Yep, totally agree with this! :techman:

Mr Awe

13. cbspock

Maybe the Enterprise had the broadside torpedo bays as part of the military build up that was happening in Starfleet. Will be interesting to see if they are still there in the next movie.

-Chris

14. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hoped for that line to come out. The moment just seemed so appropriate.

15. Chu'lak

Chu'lak Lieutenant

I thought BC was terrific as Khan. I loved him more than Montalban in Star Trek 2 but not as much as in Space Seed. He got to DO something. In Wrath of Khan, he spends the entire film on the Reliant quoting Milton and ancient Klingon proverbs.

In Space Seed he was ruthless and cunning and wasn’t afraid to have someone slap Uhura around and torture and kill.

But his weakness remains the same. In Space Seed Kirk got the upper hand when he beat Khan senseless with a pipe. Here, despite Khan’s awesome skull crushing finishing move, Spock pulls a metal handled off of the floating garbage scow and beats Khan in the face to get the upper hand.

16. Amasov

Amasov Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I still think Karl Urban is being sickeningly underutilized.

17. cbspock

I was really hoping for that away as well.

-Chris

18. cbspock

Me too, Less Uhura more McCoy!

-Chris

19. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nah. More Uhura.

More Carol Marcus, for that matter. McCoy is fine where he is.

20. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, they can't do everything. I'd rather see Uhura and Carol Marcus have substantial roles.

Urban is really good as McCoy, though.