What do you diehard TOS fans think of the new movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by treklover, May 12, 2009.

1. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Actually I wasn't refering to continuity. I was talking more about how a story is told and what aspects and elements are included and introduced.

TAS, TMP and TNG built on what TOS had done while adding new elements to what existed. You can quibble on whether you liked it or not. DS9 added to what came before in its own way. Same as before. Even VOY and ENT tried to build on what came before even though overall I think they failed miserably.

But JJ hasn't added anything but perhaps extra adrenalin. He actually subtracts any measure of substance. His effort makes ENT (a show I disdain overall) look like freaking rocket science in comparison.

Trek XI plays to the general mindset that better Trek over the years has sought to refute.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2009
  2. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Warped9 & Forbin: Hear, hear. You've thoughtfully expressed why you don't like the new movie, and I echo your sentiments.

T'Bonz, I don't think they're getting upset about it. After all, the question posed in this thread is "...what do you...think of the new movie?" They answered the question quite well.

Doug

3. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    I've been a TOS fan since I was a wee lad in the mid-70s and I loved it. It was entertaining and fun from beginning to end. The casting was spot on and the story was engaging. Plus is was a blast to see Nimoy as Spock once more.

4. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I regard ST-11 not as a continuation of the Star Trek movies, but another instance of Hollywood turing back to an old TV series, like Land of the Lost, Charlie's Angels, Starsky and Hutch and on and on. Fitting these shows into a commercially viable (and usually formulaic) form is the order of the day, continuity with the source material is way down the list of priorities. Usually these remakes are not very good and I didn't expect this movie to be very good, either.

And it wasn't. The character development, such as it was, was rushed and superficial. The plot, which could have been an interesting "origins" story, was just a "special guest villain" set-up to arrive as quickly as possible at having the series characters in their iconic positions. It was OK for what it was, I guess, a loud action flick with lots of nifty explosions and effects, but I don't really like that kind of movie. Actually, I think about 90% of movies that come out today are crap. The new movie, like most movies, was not made for people like me, and that's no surprise.

I only really liked the first two Trek movies, to tell the truth. I still love TOS, though. Aside from breaking the ground, there are some very high quality episodes, the high-water marks of all of Trek, IMO. There are also some pretty bad episodes. But the reasons I have such a fondness for TOS aren't really objective. I can't divorce my opinion of the series from my feelings as I grew up with the show, in the pre-home video, five channels of tv days when I would wait all week till Saturday or Sunday afternoon in front of the big Zenith to catch the weekly "Star Track" (as many kids called it). When I would think about this show as I drew pictures of Enterprises and tried to piece together the "world" behind the series.

So, Trek has moved on and left me and my non-remastered TOS DVDs behind. But really, that's about as predictable as anything in the world, and it doesn't bother me at all. I guess a question now could be: Will people 30 years from now hold ST 11 in the same kind of regard as I and many others hold TOS? Nobody can say, of course, but my guess is "no." You can only be original once, and there is too much competition for ST 11 to be "special" the way TOS was.

--Justin

5. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I basically agree with someone I know said: Abrams decided to make Trek more like Star Wars, a lot of flash and no real substance. It's just meant to be silly fun.

6. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

Which, IMO, was a mistake to do to the character.

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

ST has now smashed expectations and had an increase over last weekend in it's SEVENTH week, the only wide release movie to do so. It was up 50.9% over last Sunday alone! Up over 14% from Saturday. It has surpassed STTMP as the highest grossing ST movie even adjusted for avg ticket prices, at over $240 million! I think we're far away from calling it a success now, its actually a phenomenon!

Combined with international sales, it has sold over 46 million tickets!

http://trekmovie.com/2009/06/22/st0...terview-bits-from-pine-abrams-nimoy-kurtzman/

RAMA

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It's like seeing somebody do an advertisement for Extenze ... look, this week my dick is even bigger!

But in this case, it is a poster telling us that somebody else's dick is "actually a phenomenon!"

10. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As surely as the sun will rise, RAMA will come into these threads and post box-office non-sequiturs.

11. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Loved it, the core 3 were perfectly recast.

12. Cakes488

Cakes488 Commodore Commodore

What? Who's??? Where??? This statement means nothing without pictures....we need pictures...or at least I do...LOL.

13. Neopeius

Neopeius Admiral Admiral

Just for fun, I think we should try to pare some TOS eps down to a half hour by trimming out unnecessary dialogue. Maybe add a few CGI battles with the Enterprise swooping around like an X-Wing. Have Kirk say "Punch it" or "Buckle up" or "Rock N Roll!!!" or "Radical!" instead of "No beach to walk on" or "Risk is our business".

I guarantee many people would like them better.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

You're free to decline to do so. Others disagree about what he did, and will praise him.

That works perfectly.

15. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

..and in this case Paramount will not be sued for false advertising...the new and improved ST actually WORKS!

:lol::lol:

RAMA

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

No comment..

17. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually, it's not at all like that. Humor isn't your strong suit either.

18. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

And insightful commentary isn't yours. Why doncha give it a rest, do you get frequent flyer points for 200 one-line posts each day?

19. Mallory

Mallory Moderator In Memoriam

Post, not poster people. OK?

20. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

How else is he going to get promoted to the Badass Robau lounge? :p