John Christopher a Regular?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Control Voice, Aug 13, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think the danger of a John Christopher or Rain Robinson type character on the ship is it could easily become some type of Mary Sue character. Some people already complain about that with some of the 24th century regular characters.

2. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I've no doubt a fighter pilot is highly trained, intelligent and skilled individual, but I doubt that would render them a valuable asset to Starfleet. Christopher would be shipped to the nearest Starbase and from there to Earth, where he would be acclimated to the 23rd Century and retrained.[/QUOTE]

I dunno. Starfleet would probably call Kirk on the carpet and make him responsible for Christopher, essentially telling him, you brought him here. Take him along and get him home...soon.

3. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I don't see that happening. It's not like he found a puppy.

4. Control Voice

Control Voice Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

You're quite correct, thinking with a 90s sensibility, however back in the 60s, my scenario is what probably would happen. To make this happen in the modern Trek era, Christopher would probably be looked down upon by the command crew until he earned their respect and assigned a personal security guard, who would be involved in any adventure he might be involved in.

5. Nerys Myk

No, not even in the 60s, would Christopher become part of the crew. Not in-universe or out.

6. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Before serving on a starship, other than as some sort of advisor, I would think that he would have to graduate Starfleet Academy or some Starfleet OCS at minimum, his USAF rank nonwithstanding. He would also have about three hundred years of catching up to do on the hardware and technology alone.

In the event that he couldn't be sent back to the 1960's, I could see him being a civilian instructor at the Academy, his expertise being 20th century aviation or history, for example, or maybe a successful author or lecturer.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The DTI would probably try to send Christopher back, wouldn't they? Especially since he had yet to father the son who would lead the Earth/Saturn mission.

8. Lucky

Lucky Captain Captain

I liked him for one episode, but I don't think he needed to be a regular. I liked the focus on Kirk, Spock and McCoy.

9. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Worked for Buck Rogers and Farscape.

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

One of the cool things about such characters is that aren't blase about the futuristic/alien wonders that the other characters may take for granted. In that sense, they're like audience surrogates in that they can voice the excitement and/or confusion the audience may be experiencing.

They can also keep things down-to-earth by adding a refreshing note of irreverence to the proceedings. "Keep back or I'm going to shoot you with, er, little glowing balls of light?"

That kinda thing.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
  11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Of course, there's nothing preventing the OP from writing his own story that Christopher does become a member of the crew. All John Christopher really needs to do for history is pop out that kid who's scheduled to go to Saturn. He could suddenly disappear after that.

12. Nerys Myk

Buck and Crichton were the leads. Christopher would be a secondary character.

13. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Who could add a bit of color and variety to the cast.

You know, somebody should write a novel where Shaun Christoper ends up aboard the Enterprise in the 23rd century . . . :)