Unreleased Star Trek music

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Nacluv, Jul 7, 2013.

1. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it would be nice with a thread where we could list music from the TV shows and movies that has not yet been released.

I'm poorly updated on the status of La-La-Land Records.

Did they actually manage to not miss one single cue from TOS?

I'm pretty sure I read one or two years ago that they also planned to release previously unreleased music from both TNG and DS9. I would estimate that perhaps a quarter of all the episodes have gotten music released, though not the full episode scores but selected music from those episodes.

Yesterday's Enterprise and Best of Both Worlds would be the only episodes I'm pretty certain that all music has been released.

I'd estimate that less than 10 episodes of DS9 have had music released.

To my limited knowledge, I believe Voyager have only had music released from the pilot. Same goes for ENT.

And I can imagine that, as usual with film OSTs, a lot of music has been left out.

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The LLL TOS box set includes every note of music except for Kevin Riley singing "I'll Take You Home Again, Kathleen" and the few notes Uhura sang in "The Changeling." The set even includes music recorded for the show but never used. It's a major purchase for any music fan, but if you love this stuff it's a good investment.

Regarding VOYAGER, the scores "Heroes and Demons" and "Bride of Chaotica" were released on GNP's Best of Star Trek Volumes 1 and 2, respectively.

Regarding the film scores, it appears you missed a few recent releases. ST 1 thru 6, GENERATIONS, FIRST CONTACT, and ST-2009 have all gotten complete releases so far. I bought seven of them:

[​IMG]

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm still waiting for Star Trek: Insurrection. :drool:

4. Nacluv

Nacluv Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I actually started subscribing to LLL when their TOS project was first announced but haven't gotten around to buying it or reading about it yet.

Interesting about the new movie score releases. Didn't know about it. I'd conjecture that in this case the complete music has finally been released for those particular movies.

Usually, it's extremely rare that every note from a movie makes it to the soundtrack album. Even when it comes to other franchises.

There are a few cues from Star Wars Episode VI that have never been released, and from what I've heard, a lot of music from Episode I.

And even in James Bond movies, despite several re-release, a lot of music remain missing. Only a few movies, as of the 2003 expansions, have gotten the full score released. While some soundtracks only lack a few short cues, others like The Man with the Golden Gun has more than half an hour of unreleased music.

It will be interesting to see how much more music from TNG & DS9 that will be released in the future.

5. Brannigan

Brannigan Commander Red Shirt

Fortunately several Bond scores have been released almost complete (YOLT, OHMSS, DAF, LALD), however most are lacking and in some cases because the tracks are missing. This is particularly true of the early Bond films, and it presumed that complete scores for Dr. No, From Russia With Love and Goldfinger no longer exist. Other scores, despite being released with extra tracks still are incomplete. Thunderball is a prime example of this. Despite the CD doubling the original album, almost 20 minutes of cues is still missing. If I recall, only two tracks on the Spy Who Loved Me soundtrack are actual cues from the film, the rest is a rerecording done for the original release. Finally I understand that the Moonraker score exists as a whole, but because it was recorded in England and France its unlikely it will ever be completed.

6. dub

dub Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've asked this in another forum, but since this topic is music-specific...

Does anybody know if this episode score has actually been released on CD?

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnSLdapI0aU[/yt]

7. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's a lot of good quality bootlegs out there i believe

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As far as I know, it hasn't. I'm pretty sure the only Enterprise CD was the Broken Bow soundtrack.

9. feek61

feek61 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't wait too long if you are planning on buying it since it's a limited release. They thought it would sell out by this spring or summer.

BTW, the collection is fantastic and sounds amazing; highly recommended!!