Jaun ortiz retro print thoughts

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by marsomthing, May 5, 2013.

1. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I'm sure this had been discussed before but seeing he releases 4 new prints a month and I'm VERY VERY new I though I would bring it up... Again...

What is your favorite new/retro episode design? Do you like what he had done with your favorite episode. Or do you feel like you HAVE to like it because its one of your favorites??

My personal favorites are The Naked Time, and Balance of Terror. Not nessessarily my absolute favorite episodes but they are up there on the list.

Here is a link you can view all current prints, I'm not trying to promote the website at all... Just the only link I could find where you could view them all at once. Hope that's alright

http://www.welovefine.com/featured/39-retro_style__star_trek_art#.UYay9GS9LCQ

2. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

You can also see dozens of images with a Google search for "juan ortiz star trek prints". But I don't particularly like any of them. I don't know if they're supposed to be innovative or something, but they just don't do anything for me.

3. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

I don't like them . . . a lot!:barf:

4. Melakon

I wonder if he's even seen some of the episodes. The illustration for "Patterns of Force" shows Spock in an officer's cap, not a helmet. And the one for "Mirror, Mirror" makes it look like it's about Spock meeting his counterpart.

5. marsomthing

Ya I don't like most of them, BUT I think a few are neat... I like to see a new point of view on old stuff. I guess I'm a "new school" TOS fan so maybe that's why I like some.

6. Melakon

But it's not what I would consider as new school. It looks like what I used to see on small press book covers found in headshops 40 or 50 years ago.

7. jayrath

jayrath Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think they're cr*p.

8. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I think most of them are brilliant.

9. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

I like them.

10. marsomthing

I didn't mean the art as new school I was thinking of myself as a new school fan.... If that's the right word for it!?!? ( correct me if I'm wrong). I have never actually interacted with any Star Trek fans until now, also first forum I have ever joined so take it easy on me!

I think of myself as a younger fan who didn't get the chance to grow up watching the show... I'm 26 and only know Star Trek because of my late uncle.

I like the old looking advertisements that have flare to them... Makes me feel like I'm seeing the episode teaser art back in the 60s.

11. marsomthing

you are very right about that....I couldnt wait to see the Mirror, Mirror one and I was VERY let down with it...That episode has so much art to work with from the mirror universe emblem, to uniform but the only thing he used was Spock's Goatee, iconic but not used in the right way.

Is there any other Star Trek artist that you know of worth looking into?

12. Melakon

It was my error then. I'm an old fart, dating back to where I can remember songs with names like "Feelin' Groovy".

We're mostly a sane bunch here, insane as that may sound. Welcome aboard.

Regarding the later question, I don't know enough about the books, comics, or poster illustration artists, others here though are knowledgable.

13. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

As with any project of this type, it's a mixed bag. Some are good/great, some are not. But I'd rather wear shirts like these than some of those shirts from the 90s with big character heads or the Enterprise D. These are a bit more subtle. In addition, these shirts can be handy for other Trek fans: if you wear a "The Alternative Factor" shirt, then we can easily know that you have neither good judgement or taste.

14. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I like them.
    Art is a very subjective thing isn't it?

15. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

I like some of them, but some of them are not to my liking. And I don't think there was ever an attempt to be "literal" to the episode involved, as Paterns of Force and Mirror, Mirror don't reflect events in the episode. But then neither does Catspaw.

City on the Edge of Forever reminds me of some of the doodles I used to draw as a 8yr old on the brown papers that came around the newspapers when they were delivered.

Mirror, Mirror looks like a vastly improved version of Face/Off.

I actually like The Ultimate Computer, because I like the formation of cruisers.

I think Spock's Brain shirt looks better than Spock's Brain the episode, in a fanciful way.

Don't forget, many movies were pitched as an idea and a poster, so they often didn't match the final product. I think that's the kind of vibe they were going for, not accuracy.