Who was the most hated character among fans while DS9 was airing?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by BlueStuff, Apr 10, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A lot of people seem to have it out for Ezri, for some reason.

She arrives late, and seems to be designed to be the near polar opposite of Jadzeia

Both are quite Femenine but Jadzeia has an easy going humour

2. Yorkshire Niner

Yorkshire Niner Captain Captain

I actually preferred Ezri to Jadzia. She brought something new and fresh to the cast dynamics during that final season and Nicole De Boer played her part very well (she could easily have taken the Buffy/Willow smartass teenager path).

Most of my hatred on the show was reserved for Kai Winn but, as said before, as a viewer you were supposed to hate her. She was morally repulsive for a reason.

For me though, the blandest, dullest, recurring character on DS9 has to be.... Vedek Bareil. Unconvincing as a holy man and as a lover. What the hell did Kira see in him??! Even the Mirror Bareil was boring! I never re-watch episodes featuring him and was glad when he died (which was also the longest and most boring death scene ever seen in Star Trek!).

And..... breathe. :-)

3. Dal Rassak

Dal Rassak Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's quite obvious to me what Kira saw in him: someone she could come to rest with, feel safe with. She's been through so much, she's that fucked-up by her experiences, someone a lot more stable than herself would appeal. And the last kind of person she would ever get on with is someone with the same fiery temper - they'd just be throwing things at one another the whole time.
    O.k. so he wasn't the most exciting character, I agree, but I don't understand all the bashing he gets (I've said that before). I've always liked him. He seems a very caring and gentle sort, and he does have a little streak of irreverence for the prevailing religious dogma that I for one thought made him exactly suited to his station in life. Religious ideas wouldn't be misused for the persecution of others half so much if more sefl-professed believers had such a relaxed mindset.

4. flemm

flemm Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, makes perfect sense. He shares her faith, but is actually more of a maverick than she is from that point of view. However, he's very stable and calm otherwise.

5. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

At the time of airing the answer would be Ezri. I was active in fan communities way back then when the internet was new (usenet anyone?) and everyone was pretty pissed that Jadzi was replaced by her. Most peoole figured they would just go down to one female lead, that it woukd be too tough to bring in someone new the last season. Ezri has only gained respect among fans in hindsight (myself included)

6. LiLiKitty

LiLiKitty Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't like Kira for most of the first season. She was too hard and brusque, and it seemed like that was all that she was. Then "Duet" aired, and all of her character's potential, positive and negative, became clear. She's now one of my favorite characters. Kira's struggle over seven seasons to become better than who she was at the beginning of the show is one reason why DS9 is so terrific. I think "Duet" opened the door to that.

7. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, I imagine their decision to replace Jadzia caused quite an uproar among the fans. But what else could they do? They couldn't have just one regular female character. However, they didn't necessarily have to have another Dax. They could have just added a completely new character. I think that's part of why people resent Ezri. She wasn't just a new character; she was a new Dax, and the viewer just had to accept it. It was a lot to expect from fans.

I'm personally not a fan of Ezri, but not because she replaced Jadzia. She's just too bubbly and perky, and I'm usually not crazy about those kinds of characters. But that's just me; I realize a lot of people do like her, and I can understand why.