Thoughts on "Valiant"?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Sadara

Sadara Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Eh, we've seen lower ranking Starfleet Officers tell higher ranking ones to go jump in the creek before so I don't see why O'Brien would just go along with whatever Watters said either just because he's enlisted.

In The Doomsday Machine, Kirk flat kicked Commodore Decker off his bridge, Riker outed Admiral Pressman on the whole Federation cloaking device thingy, Picard took on the Admiral in Data's Day who wanted to haul Lal off the ship.

Really you just need someone who is willing to stand up for what's right and sane. Sure they risk their career, but anyone with a conscience can do it.

2. moriluk

moriluk Ensign Red Shirt

Just watched it recently. I think you nailed it on the head. I disagree with many of the replies. Nog DID get the 'idiot ball' and dropped it in the last 30 seconds.

I do not know if I would call the captain "wacko" but he definitely lost touch. I do not know ALL of the Starfleet protocols, but I am sure he broke many.

This brings me to my quesion, would they have had time/ablity to download the intel on the vessel in the escape pods? Does this thing happen automatically? Would Starfleet allow escape pods to contain such info?

If not then the entire mission was a failure. This was a very important mission - to get intel on the most dangerous ship of their enemy.

What if no one survived? Then the intel would have definitely been lost thus making the entire mission a complete failure of epic proportions. And don't forget, they lost a valuable ship as well. It seems there are not many of those types (I only know of 2 - the valiant and the defiant)

As for Sisko, he should have pointed out that the mere question "where are you from?" would not send a real Starfleet officer on an emotional bender. This proves that she is either not ready or not qualified for such a mission. SHe should have been relieved of duty on the spot.

ALso, dropping his dads name should have put some sense into some of the cadets. Part of being a good officer (or a good person - at least according to Socrates) is knowing your limits as well as your strengths. Being a good captain involves not going on suicide missions unless there is no other choice.

As the girl at the end gave her opinion that it was 'they' who failed the captain and not the other way around, I disagreed with this until I realized that it was true in the sense that someone should have relieved him of command. This was their failure.

3. Sadara

Dropping Sisko's name did nothing but make those cadets want to prove themselves more. Jake wanted to make them see reason, but it backfired spectacularly. Part of the reason for this is Jake was speaking to a bunch of kids who have had praise and sunshine blown up their asses for the better part of close to four years. He wasn't talking to rational people with a decent amount of objectivity and life experience.

As for Dorian being relieved on the spot for her emotional reaction to talking about home... I would say that is a bit harsh. I agree with your point about her possibly being too young for such a mission, but she is also on a ship commanded by essentially, a tyrant, albeit one who doesn't realize he's being one. Watters didn't have the leadership skills or experience to deal with an essential aspect of command and believe it or not, that is people skills.

Dorian's homesickness was normal. Bottling it up was not. And Watters handled the whole thing poorly.

4. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Once or twice, we saw Kirk specifically order up-to-date records to be loaded to a buoy or courier pod to be jettisoned as the ship prepared to meet an invincible enemy. Also, Kirk often had great trouble contacting his superiors over subspace, what with time delays and possibly being out of range altogether. So back in those days, all the data the ship had gathered would most probably have been lost in an incident like this.

On the other hand, we never really saw comparable scenes in the TNG era. And we never got good examples of data uploading speeds; for all we know, a Records Officer (brevet) heading for the pods could have remembered at the last second to perform his or her duty, punch an isolinear chip into a dataslot, press one of those mysterious LCARS buttons that launches a complex operation with single keypress, pull the chip out one second later, and thus carry all the crucial mission logs in his or her pocket.

The scenario where copies of the logs would automatically go into all the pods just before pod jettison is somewhat less likely, I guess. For the tactical reasons you already mentioned if not for anything else.

Timo Saloniemi

5. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Starships could also have what is the modern day equivalent of a "black box" flight recorder, encased in unobtanium or something like that. Just because we've never seen one in canon doesn't mean they don't exist.

There's only be a few instances I can think of where starships have encountered the wreckage of other starships, and they've never tried searching for one, but that doesn't mean we couldn't see one in the future.

6. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Curious, Captain watter's seems to be one of the most universally hated Chars in star trek.

Even I can kind of sympathize with him, having gotten comfortable in his position, hoping that if he can Survive the mission, starfleet would be wowed enough to give him a permanent comission

(their probaly WERE some people as low rank as lieutenant commanding defiant class ships given how small those are.

7. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Watters didn't want to go back because he didn't want to give up command and become a lowly ensign. He liked command and didn't want to be given orders.

8. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

They are small, but they are new, and they are pure warships, with the capabilities of a much larger ship. You wouldn't want anyone under Captain in one of those.

I could certainly see a Lt. captaining one of those century-old Miranda-class ships, though, cataloging gaseous anomalies and the like. Probably wouldn't be the ones going into battle, though (but that would explain how they were meat shields :rofl:).

9. Sadara

He's hated because he's a douchebag. If you don't agree with him you get silenced. If you still don't come around to his way of thinking and kiss his ass then you end up in the brig. He's a dictator and would rightly have been returned to the Academy had the Valiant made it home.

Anyone with an ounce of humility, responsibility, and respect for the service would understand that he should have returned the Valiant to Federation space upon assuming command. He did not have the experience or wisdom necessary to continue the mission.

10. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

As she isn't a Starfleet officer, NCO, or anything the idea that she can just take command of a Starfleet vessel like she has any authority what so ever is kind of idiotic, I mean seriously the freaking cadets commanding the ship actually make more sense than that.

Considering they were in the middle of a war what makes you think he wouldn't have been promoted top Ensign and sent to a ship that needed crew.

Kirk was already a Lieutenant and first officer of the ship, so what your saying is that they should demote him after saving them from destruction and death. And its not even the reward type demotion where it was just to get him back on the Enterprise which he really wanted.

Depends on how the chain of command works

On his ship with a crew that backed him

True but unless its your ship and your crew which is backing you, they might not listen and will probably throw you in the brig.

Dax and Worf were Lt. Commanders and they were both commanding the Defiant for long periods of time, Hell when Dax was doing it Sisko had been reassigned to working with Ross and wasn't even commanding the ship anymore at that point.

11. Pavonis

Pavonis Commodore Commodore

Kira may not have been Starfleet, but she wouldn't have taken any guff from Watters and the rest of his crew. She certainly wouldn't fall for Watters' charms the way Nog did. She'd either kick his ass and take the ship from him, or they'd be forced to lock her up, the way they locked up Jake.

12. Hartzilla2007

Well seeing as the odds were the entire crew to her, I think she would have ended up in the brig. Seriously isn't doesn't really matter how badass a person is when it's everyone against them.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Any one of those cadets who lays a finger on Kira or tries to put her in the brig is going to find themself missing key limbs.

14. Hartzilla2007

They don't need to lay a finger on her they have phasers, intruder control systems that they have the access codes to, and transporters.

15. TheRoyalFamily

TheRoyalFamily Commodore Commodore

Dax and Worf were given command of specific assignments, but Sisko was still the real, assigned captain of the Defiant.

When Sisko was re-assigned to Ross's staff, there was no captain. Dax was in command because she was the number-two officer (it would have been Worf, but he was off having fun with Martok); if Sisko had remained as a staff officer any longer, the Defiant would have gotten a new captain.

16. Sadara

So because Jake didn't have a crew to back him up, he should have kept his mouth shut? Jake was absolutely correct in questioning the sheep mentality and sheer lunacy of the crew of that ship and if the Valiant had returned to the Federation, they would have been raked over the coals.

17. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Incorrect. Kirk was a third year cadet at the Academy, but presumably had completed a sufficient number of courses for graduation at that time and a subsequent commission in Starfleet (at the rank of Ensign, as commensurate with the graduation of a cadet). His stated goal was graduation in three years, which he would have done if it were not for the Narada incident. This put him on a timetable for promotion to Captain within 4 years of graduation from the Academy. He was promoted directly to Captain directly from Cadet.

Any display screen text in the film listing Kirk as a Lieutenant is counter to the facts of the film.

18. LobsterAfternoon

LobsterAfternoon Commander Red Shirt

Do we know that nu-Kirk didn't have some college credits, pre-Academy, completed? Perhaps he used the academy as more of an OCS than an undergraduate institution.

19. Hartzilla2007

What in the film says he has to graduate at the rank of ensign? Becuase Uhura managed to graduate at Lieutenant.

If anything the Narada incident would have sped that up since they needed crews for the fleet sent to Vulcan. I just figure Pike ignored the academic suspension thing what with captain's prerogative and all.

Screen still says Lieutenant which makes sense with the whole promoted to first officer thing.

Only facts that you assume seems like.

20. Hartzilla2007

Jake ins't a Starfleet officer if he wants to call them on being crazy he can go ahead, I'm just saying expecting O'Brien to just be able to relieve someone and expect it to work when the crew has no reason to go along with him isn't going to work especially since Star Trek has made relieving a captain of command seem harder to do over the years.

Honestly Bashir would have been the best bet for that since he can pull rank like that being the doctor and all.