Resident Evil: Retribution. Bit shallow, even by this series standards

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Aldo, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: Resident Evil: Retribution. Bit shallow, even by this series stand

Milla just retweeted some guy who posted he'd just seen it again for the 7th time!

Some films I might understand multiple viewings, I've done it before. Maybe you want to see this a second time and see if it's better, did I miss something. But 7 times for this film!!!

2. Psylent1

Psylent1 Captain Captain

Have to say, the scene where Wesker info dumps on Ava and Alice did feel like a video game.

"This is going to be a long cut scene, anyone else need a snack?"

3. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I could see that. Just like some people went and saw Avengers multiple times in theaters, I could see someone seeing this film that many times.

I'm sure if I didn't have any bills to pay and what not, I might have seen it in theaters a few more times, seven though? Not likely. The most I've ever seen any movie in theaters was three.

4. NrobbieC

NrobbieC Commander Red Shirt

Having never seen any of the RE films until last week (and watching them all) I really enjoyed Retribution as I did with the others.

5. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Four for me. I saw The Avengers four times in theaters.

I've seen Retribution twice thus far, but since my movie-going is limited to weekends and holidays I'd be hard pressed to see it seven times before it leaves theaters -- and anyway, I can watch it as many times as I want when I buy the DVD.

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I always find the RE movies to be entertaining but somewhat disappointing. The only one I really liked was #2, loved the premise, loved the video game feel of it complete with boss monster at the end... plus that was back before it was post-apocalyptic.

7. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

My main problem with this series is that I feel like it's never-ending. None of the movies stand alone well enough for me to ever want to go back and re-watch them. Every new installment just provides enough of a plot to set up the next installment without really accomplishing anything. They're entertaining, but I am ready for the story to be OVER.

8. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What i don't get about these movies is Umbrella's motivation.

Pretty much everyone is dead already. There's no one to sell their stuff to, there's no one to finance them and there's no one left that they could kill with their bio weapons.
    So why are they still in business doing their unethical research thing?

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Bureaucratic inertia with a hint of denial.

If the President of the United States survives the complete destruction of life on Earth, he's still going to act like he's the President of The United States, while anyone who manages to survive while working for him or with him will act the same way, even though all of their jobs became meaningless when the last private US citizen got immolated in the holocaust.

Umbrella is still operating and running their experiments just because that's what they were doing when the world went zombie, and even if they have nobody to sell their breakthroughs to, that doesn't mean they can't find a way for themselves to outlast the plague, so they'll keep trying to do that until either the zombies or Alice kills them all.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Umbrella is trying to find a way to control the zombies so they can make the Earth habitable again... or at least they were in the third one, haha.

11. Ayelbourne

The Earth is perfectly habitable. All they'd need to do is to wipe out all those T-Virus carriers, not control them.

12. NrobbieC

They'd have to wipe out the virus too, isn't it in the air and water or something so anyone who kicks the bucket will come back as a...thing.

13. Ayelbourne

I think you're confusing RE with The Walking Dead. ;)

Afaik, the T-Virus isn't airborne.

14. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Of course it's airborne. That's how it got out in the first place.

All the way back in the first movie when that guy was trying to steal a sample of it he broke a vial of T-virus in it's containment lab. The liquid sample evaporated and got into the ventilation system, which is why the Red Queen tried to shut down The Hive. She killed everybody in the lab because she knew they were contaminated and therefore dead anyway, even though none of them, at the time, had been bitten by a T-carrier.

15. Ayelbourne

If it's airborne, why did Umbrella open the Hive again in the sequel? Why did they even bother trying to evacuate people in Racoon City?
    Why did Alice send Claire and her friends to Arcadia, knowing they would contaminate the place, if it wasn't contaminated already?

16. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

It was airborne within that facility because the vial broke, but that was more or less contained. Perhaps it's no longer airborne in the same sense; for example, a T-virus zombie can't just breathe into your mouth and give you the virus. It's now more like HIV, where it has to be absorbed directly through blood contact.

17. NrobbieC

Haven't there been people that died naturally post-outbreak and became zombie mutants. I'm sure I remember Afterlife I think it was mentioning the virus mutated to becoming airborne or something like that, I could be wrong though.

I've also never seen Walking Dead.

18. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Rain's team was sent to the Hive the first time because Umbrella's bosses had no idea why the Red Queen shut the place down, and since most of the people that could have told them were dead, a second team was sent and the leader of the that team, while they were securing Matt and Alice, said clearly in the first film "We're reopening the Hive. I want to find out what happened down there."

They reopened the Hive cause they didn't know the T-virus had gotten out. It's that simple.

The few people they tried to evacuate were all involved in the development of the virus, which made them important in learning how to control it. The rest of the population they tried to contain in the city until they could be nuked, something that wouldn't be necessary if all they had to do was keep people from being bitten.

Alice didn't know any such thing, because -- again, this was established in the first film -- there is an anti-virus to the T-Virus, and since the radio message luring people to Arcadia claimed "There is no virus," She probably assumed whoever was running Arcadia had access to the anti-virus and was providing sanctuary and treatment. She was half right.

If that were the case it wouldn't have spread so rapidly across the states and around the world.

There's no reason to believe that contact is required to contract the virus. Again, let's go back to the first film. The vial breaks and the contents become airborne and everybody who breathes is infected. The Red Queen shuts the place down, probably because she's not allowed to reveal the nature of the emergency to the people inside. And she does that before a single zombie appears to bite anybody. No Zombies are there because nobody's dead yet. Living people have immune systems that fight off viruses. It's likely they could live a long time before the virus finally overwhelms their systems, but not forever, and they will become zombies if they die from ANYTHING, which is what happened after the Red Queen killed them. And before anyone asks why, it's easier to contain a bunch of undead idiots with limited motor skills than it is to contain hundreds of living, brilliant scientists and administrators actively looking for an exit.

Zombie bites don't kill and transform victims on their own. They accelerate the infection in already contaminated bodies. You're already dead. That just kills you faster.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  19. Ayelbourne

Of course they knew. They had found Alice and her activist friend a while before that and did some thorough testing on them.

You can't contain an airborne virus with a fence and some goons with guns. Neither does evacuation help. Which was the point that I was trying to make.

Why wouldn't she? You wanna tell me she traveled all across the country, never encountering someone zombiefying from a cause other than being bitten?
    For a supposed airborne virus, that would be extremely unlikely.

When has the spread of a Zombie plague ever been portrayed in a realistic way? Didn't some scientists prove a while ago that such a plague wouldn't be selfsustaining?

20. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

No they didn't. The first team arrived because the Hive had been shut down and no one knew why. The second team arrived with as little knowledge because they had lost contact with the first team. Both teams came prepared for a biohazard but neither team knew what the nature of the hazard was until each reopened the Hive in turn. Both leaders stated as much in the script. Go back and watch the stupid movie and listen carefully.

They were captured just before the reopening of the Hive and sent to an alternate facility to be tested. Alice woke up from her testing long after the Hive had been reopened and the T-virus was released into Racoon City. If you're so sure the teams knew it was the T-virus why on Earth would either of them open the Hive?

Answer: They. Didn't. Know. The first team leader said they didn't know. The second team leader said he wanted to know. You would be right if the T-virus were the only thing being tested in the facility, but the above statements and actions are evidence that wasn't the case.

Of course you can't. The fence and the goons were only there to keep anyone and anything from leaving until the real containment protocol -- the nuke --showed up.

The people being evacuated were important employees of the company that controlled the anti-virus to the airborne virus. I'm pretty sure getting evacuated and then getting inoculated would have helped those particular individuals a great deal.

True, but it would be near impossible for her to know the exact nature of the zombie's transformation because when she encounters them she usually runs from them or chops their heads off. It's not like she has time to sit down and interview them. "Mr. Zombie, did you get bitten or did you get hit by a car?"

And anyway we were talking about whether or not she knew about the true nature of Arcadia, and that would also be impossible for her to know because she hadn't fucking been there yet.

If it were only transferred through person-to-person contact, of course it wouldn't. All you have to do is keep away from and burn the victims.

For the billionth time, the T-virus is airborne! It was depicted as airborne in the first fucking reel of the first fucking movie. Nobody walked down to the lab and licked it up off the floor. Opening the Hive infected an entire city, and until the appearance of zombies reached a crisis mode, people in this city did what people in every city do: leave, by car, by plane, breathing T-virus particles on everyone they came in contact with, waiting for the first person to die and zombifie, whatever the cause. And I'm pretty sure the Red Queen wouldn't have killed an entire building full of people if she thought the resulting outbreak wouldn't be "self-sustaining," which means the little bugger is probably a lot more robust than you give it credit for.

And what kills me is that we're even arguing about this. We're talking about movies where a fashion model in tight leather jumps around killing zombies and mutant dogs and special forces troops and giants with big-ass axes and the idea you're having a problem with is that the virus at the center of it all might be transmitted through the air, which has got to be the LEAST silly aspect of the whole series.