Hawaii 5-0: The Second Season Begins!

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Top41, Sep 20, 2011.

1. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

^Yep! It's all dramatic and then you know it's not going to get directly follow up on in the next episode. Annoying! How many more episodes is Terry O'Quinn doing?

Very cool that Captain Fryer was a character from the original H5-0! That's funny... I had no idea.

2. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am almost willing to bet that the plot was Danno shooting a presumed unarmed kid.

3. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

No, that was back in the first season, and I don't remember who (if anyone) played the IA investigator.

This was an episode about a young HPD cop (and friend of McGarrett, because, let's be honest, who on that show wasn't?) who is set up to be suspended by IA on corruption charges so he'll be taken off his beat, because his beat includes a record store where some crooks are tunneling from the basement into a bank across the street.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure. He was originally supposed to do just 5 episodes but he's been in 7 according to IMDB. I think they really like him and want him on a lot.

5. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^Well that's because Terry O'Quinn is bad ass in everything he does.

I think he studied under Chuck Norris.;)

6. cardinal biggles

The student surpassed the teacher, then, because O'Quinn can actually act. :p

7. Top41

Did anyone catch last night's episode? I thought it was okay--but the revelation that Joe helped Noshimuri fake his own death was interesting. Presumably Joe helped Noshimuri flee to Japan, and maybe reunited him with Shelburne? More and more, I agree with the speculation that Shelburne could be Steve's mom--if Noshimuri's death could be faked, couldn't hers be as well? Or even Steve's dad? What if Hesse was just supposed to make Steve think his dad was dead? Though I think Shelburne being Steve's mom makes more sense.

The jury tampering/hitman killing a teenager seemed far-fetched to me, but it was entertaining enough. The dad sleeping with his daughter's friend was all kinds of squicky though.

8. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought that was the school's headmaster, not the father.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Yep it was the headmaster, who to my eyes looked like Robert Reed! Who appeared on the original 5-0 twice.

10. Enterprise is Great

Every time I see Terry O'Quinn and Daniel Dae Kim in a scene I keep expecting some kind of Lost joke. Alas no such luck. Hawaii is bad luck for O'Quinn...he keeps getting roughed up. :lol:

The evil lawyer plot was sooooooooooooo dumb. All that to rig a case? Surely they could've done it without killing a juror's daughter. Very far fetched and unecessary. They wanted some twist to the story I guess.

I wish Kim was there when Sam Anderson's character fell to his death. It would've been fun. No biggie though.

Shellbourne has gotta be either MacGarrett's father or mother. For them to be making such a big deal out of this it's got to be someone major like that. Or could it be Wo Fat's wife? She left him when she found out how evil he was? Possible.

11. ArcherFanForever

ArcherFanForever Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

12. cardinal biggles

While the evil jury consultant was a bit farfetched, it did make for an interesting twist in that the whole plotline with the sex tape was totally unrelated to the murder.

There needs to be a payoff to Shelburne by the end of the season. I'm starting to get tired of these little epilogues at the end of every episode where Steve tries to badger information out of Joe, Joe stonewalls and/or walks away, and we fade to black with no more information than we had before. I'm pretty certain it's Steve's mom, but I'm sure there'll be some sort of unexpected twist.

No new episode next week, but I'm really looking forward to the upcoming episode on 1/16:

AS THE FIVE-0 INVESTIGATE A SMUGGLING CASE, CHIN HO TELLS MCGARRETT SHOCKING NEWS ABOUT JOE WHITE THAT CAUSES A FACE OFF BETWEEN THE TWO, ON "HAWAII FIVE-0," MONDAY, JAN. 16

"Pu'olo" - McGarrett is rocked to his core when Chin Ho tells him some shocking news about Joe White. Meanwhile, Danny plays mid-wife for his ex-wife when she goes into early labor, on HAWAII FIVE-0, Monday, Jan. 16 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

13. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't tell if it's Terry O'Quinn's mannerisms or the script or what, but there is very little to distinguish Joe White from John Locke for me. Everytime he's on screen, all I can think is "Locke."

I knew Sam Anderson looked familiar, but I couldn't place him. I even commented to my daughter who was watching with me that he looked familiar. Oddly enough, when I went to IMDb and looked up Hawaii Five-0, the page it brought me to for Sam Anderson showed Hawaii Five-0 as his only credit. Can't believe I missed that he was Bernard!

14. Top41

Angel AND Lost reunions in this one! Except that DDK and Sam Anderson didn't have any scenes together. I love Sam Anderson though--great to see him show up.

I totally thought it was the dad and not the headmaster who had the affair with the friend! Still gross but much less so, at least in terms of sympathizing with the dad.

214 looks good, though
    the part about Danno delivering Rachel's baby seems so soapy and over the top. I guess this show is usually over the top, but still. Poor Danno--way to twist the knife.

215 is the one I'm really excited about! Does anyone know when 215 will air? That's the one where
    Danno's ex-partner from Jersey comes seeking revenge. Really hope it doesn't involve kidnapping either Grace or Rachel. I want to see Danno angst, but not the cliched kidnapping the kid story.

15. cardinal biggles

We'll see.
    Given how they like to toss Danno around, I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow reveal that it really is his baby after all. Either way, I've really missed the Danno/Rachel stuff from Season One, and I'm glad Claire van der Boom will be back.

The Futon Critic is giving a projected date of Feb. 6th, but that could always change.

16. Top41

February 6th?? Dammit, I knew it would be a sweeps episode. :p Oh well.

I could see it being Danno's kid after all, too. I liked Rachel in season one, though I think the way she's treated Danno, and Stan really, isn't so hot. I feel like they accelerated the Danny/Rachel relationship unnaturally fast and then had to pull back on it to an equal extreme. I always kind of thought Danny/Rachel was the endgame, and now I'm not so sure. I wish they'd been less hasty with them at the end of last season.

17. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I hope they don't do a double twist that it really is Danny's baby. That would be incredibly lame and really make Rachel more unsympathetic. Plus, if they wanted to go that route, I don't think they would have had Danny start to date that museum woman (or at least not have her return for another episode).

18. cardinal biggles

^That was ages ago (in terms of the episodes in question), and if you hadn't brought her up, I would have totally forgotten her. :p

Going back to this week's episode, it was nice to see Charlie Fong again. Loved his slightly creepy banter with Kono.

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

But the last mention of the wife was even longer. ;)

However, the fact that he started to see another person shows that the character is growing and developing. Pairing Danny with his wife (again) would undo that growth I feel and make him look kinda pathetic (wife bails on marriage, later they renew their relationship, she bails on renewed relationship, then they renew again?).

20. Enterprise is Great

They really need to move on to the reveal of the Joe White/Shellbourne thing real soon. It's been a little tedious and dragged out the last few episodes. I guess that they're waiting for the Feb. sweeps.