Katawa Shoujo anyone?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Cutter John, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Curious if anyone else out there has tried this game.

Actually it's less a game than a 'visual novel'. A cross between a Japanese 'dating sim', and a graphical version of one of those old 'choose your own adventure' books.
    The wiki goes into more detail, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katawa_Shoujo , but basically it involves a high school boy who after a heart attack, is sent to a special school for disabled teens. Along the way, you hve the choice of meeting five different young women, who, if you make the right choices, can become friends, and with any luck, even lovers. Its all painfully emotional, with both highs and lows, and most will have a hard time not shedding a few tears. If you're the sort who cried at the end of the Walking Dead game, then this might be for you.

The one thing I love about this game is that the girls actually have fairly deep personalities, and aren't just "cute anime girls who need protecting". If you treat them like that, you're sure to get a bad ending. So far I've played through two story arcs, over about a week, and its worn me out emotionally. Its pretty rough going.

Theres a nice review with screenshots here: http://deluscar.wordpress.com/2012/04/06/katawa-shoujo-review/

Since its a 400mb freeware game, you can get it via bittorrent at http://www.katawa-shoujo.com/download.php

Also theres a direct download at http://100-free-games.com/download-katawa-shoujo/ Though I'm not sure how secure it is.

2. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

I ****ing love Rin actually so much I couldn't bear to play again beyond getting the alright ending after getting bad end on my first try o_o

**** that Hisao ****** **** you. I had it under control, it was going to be fine. I'm not emotionally ******* incompetent like that ******* life-destroying **** for ***** sake.

Hey might you be that Shizune dude from Gallifrey Base? No wait you just started playing right

3. Cutter John

Well not exactly how I'd put it, but okay...

I've had the game for about and have only played through Emi and Hanako so far, and both have been great. I'm definitely a Hanako fan though. I've never been able to resist, shy, quiet girls.

Been browsing Google. Its amazing how many KS fan sites there are out there. Facebook pages, DeviantArt, the official forum...
    Currently sitting here listening to the soundtrack I downloaded from the official website and getting all misty eyed.

4. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Wow, how funny. I just got done playing through this last week, getting all of the endings.

Hanako's bad ending wrecked my shit entirely. That was shocking and devastating. :(

Rin affected me pretty hard, too. I had to read a bit outside to understand her story completely, but once I did, I realized just how deep it is, and exactly why certain choices get you worse endings.

My favorite I think was Lily, though. That scene in the field where she confesses her love for Hisao...so many feels! Though, playing Lily's story right after Hanako's, I kinda felt like a jerk, leaving her and going to her best friend. There's an indication in one scene that Hanako still develops some feelings for Hisao even in Lily's path.

After playing this, I really wish I had a group of friends I could become as close to as Hisao does to Lily and Hanako, or Misha and Shizune.

5. Cutter John

Oh I'm the same way. I'd like to get 100% because I've heard there's an unlock of some kind, but I don't think I could handle any of the bad endings.

And of course, knowing one girls story makes it so much harder to play through another. Especially when she turns up in the main story. How the heck am I supposed to go off with Lilly and leave Emi alone, for example? :(

6. OdoWanKenobi

The bad endings are really worth getting, though. They make the good endings all the more rewarding when you understand just how the relationships could have failed. Rin, Shizune, and Hanako especially benefit from seeing their bad endings. Shizune's bad ending is really Misha's story in a way.

7. Konata Izumi

Choices of Hisao's.

8. OdoWanKenobi

Not sure what you're getting at. Hisao is the player character, and you make certain key decisions for him which determine success or failure in his romantic pursuits.

9. Konata Izumi

I think it the other way around.

10. OdoWanKenobi

As in Hisao is controlling your actions? :wtf:

You need to stop hanging around with Rin. She's messing with your mind. :p

11. Cutter John

I'm confused.

12. OdoWanKenobi

Me too. This must be part of some nefarious feminist plot to throw us off balance. Stay vigilant, my brothers!

13. Cutter John

Can I borrow 500 yen?

14. OdoWanKenobi

You still haven't paid me back from the last time! And what do you need my money for? I can see your wallet. It's loaded!

Kenji is hilarious. :lol:

15. trekkiebaggio

trekkiebaggio Vice Admiral Admiral

Hmm I don't really play that many computer games but this sounds really interesting so I might give it a go over the weekend.

16. OdoWanKenobi

^Prepare for lots of feels. Let us know whose route you get first, and your thoughts.

I don't think it's been mentioned, but fyi, there is sex in the game. It's not the focal point, though, and is just the natural place that the relationships go to in the story. So, just don't play it at work or anything.

17. Cutter John

Yeah, I don't really even think about the brief sex scenes since to me they're no big deal. Its a love story after all. If you're mature about it, they're really quite sweet (or even downright funny if you play Emi).

I was rechecking the official website and you CAN download the whole game directly from there without torrenting. My bad.

You should man. I've been reading about it in various forums. Its kinda fun reading about hardcore gamers crying like babies. Apart from a few trolls, this seems to touch everyone who tries it.

Atm I'm still taking a break from it. I'm trying to pace myself since there probably isn't going to be a sequel. I'm thinking I'll follow Shizune's arc next.

In the meantime, theres plenty of KS stuff on Youtube. Including a series of cute flash animations http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1ZqFipZMQw

And a lovely medley of the games music.
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2QFVWUrdGg[/yt]

Last edited: Jan 26, 2013
  18. Cutter John

This sums it up nicely. :)

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=XlSbXm7QUtE&feature=endscreen[/yt]

19. OdoWanKenobi

^Yup...

This thing has seriously stuck with me. I'm still thinking about it constantly. Heck, Emi inspired me to start running, today! Seriously, Katawa Shoujo is driving me to become a better person!

20. Cutter John

I know. Its crazy the way this thing has wedged itself into my subconscience. I've been sittign here mulling over old relationships and what I did wrong, and generally feeling melancholy.

Hey and big ups on your new workout program! Keep it up man! Emi would be proud!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013