AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

The movie opens in a week in the UK, usually the grading threads are started within a week of the release. The anticipation thread was locked because this one was created (making "too many" threads about the same movie open at once) and because any pre-release and production info is no longer going to be discussed.

Movie studios releasing movies in other countries before opening them in the US is dumb.

2. chrisspringob

chrisspringob Commodore Commodore

Well, that's fine, as long as people are OK with that, and don't mind that this thread will be filled with spoilers next week when the movie comes out in Australia and Europe.

3. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

People are generally good with spoilers here and using spoiler code. There is a spoiler warning in the thread title as well.

4. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

I should be gettin' a screenin' pass for this in the mail. If I can get off from work, too, I'll be seein' it a week from Monday, four days ahead of the U.S. release.

:D

5. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I could say, "I think you're just determined to like this film, and nothing you hear will change your mind," and it'd be just as empty a jab.

Near-unanimous praise means nothing to me, and pointing to the Tomatometer or whatever is meaningless. For example:

[​IMG]

Toy Story 2 is rated as a 100 percent "Fresh" film, which means it's perfect, right? Not at all. Toy Story 2 most certainly has its flaws, though it is an absolutely marvelous piece of work, particularly when looked at in the context of its ridiculous production history. What you're really looking at here is a survey of 146 critics, all of whom rated the film above average (in the subjective opinion of Rotten Tomatoes' editors). 72 percent of "the audience" liked it and that's out of 890,698.

There is no such thing as objective quality in film, and aggregators like that are rather toothless tools to use when trying to prove a point. It's okay to use as an example of how critical response are shaping up and get a very vague idea about what one might loosely expect, but that's about it.

I'll be there in the theater, and there are bits and pieces I've seen that have interested me (Ruffalo's Hulk, Chris Evans, Robert Downey Jr., and the effects work in general seems pretty solid). All I've been saying is that what we've seen of the overall direction of The Avengers hasn't been impressing me. I'm sure it'll be fluffy and whiz-bang action stuff, but when I leave the theater, I don't think I'll have much to take away.

In any event, I hope to be pleasantly surprised by the film. :)

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't understand you're obsession with how it's filmed. I don't see where that would really matter that much if the story is good, the dialogue is good, the characters are well done, and the action is fun and exciting.
    I read a quote from Kevin Feige (the guy in charge of Marvel's movies) on IGN where he said they were done with Hulk, at least for now. The impression I got was that he'll probably still be in future Avengers movies, but he won't be getting any more solo films in the near future.

7. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

That's probably for the best. There's only so much you can do with the Hulk on his own in a cinematic format -- he works best in a supporting / occasionally antagonistic role. That being said, I enjoyed the heck out of Leterrier's The Incredible Hulk (I've always felt its cinematography, especially, was the best of the Marvel films thus far, as was the action staging). It would probably be far better remembered -- and done better financially -- if it hadn't been sandwiched between the first Iron Man and The Dark Knight. As it is, it was kind of an audience afterthought given the summer of 2008.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, I loved TIH, and really think it's the most underrated film in the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

9. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I enjoyed TIH, but it was clearly a compromised film. Reading some of the things that Norton added, but were excised makes me wish they could go back and add them in. It would have added a great deal of character depth that was missing from the film. As it is, it's a fun action film, but a tad shallow.

10. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, unfortunately I think the two movies proved that Banner just isn't really interesting enough for his own movie. You either have way too much tiresome angst as he searches for a cure and pines after Betty, or you're watching a green monster growl a lot while destroying stuff.

There's just not a whole lot to work with.

11. Trekker4747

So, who else is planning on watching the lead-up movies over the next couple of weeks? I've already watched TIH recently, tonight I'm watching "Iron Man" soon to be followed by Iron Man 2, Thor and Captain America.

12. Admiral_Young

I'll be conducting my own MCU marathon next weekend.

13. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

I'm planning on one a night leading up to the release day.

Didn't some site have a timeline going? I think the release order is pretty much correct, except with the two Iron Mans together before Incredible Hulk.

14. Trekker4747

I think Hulk happens "at the same time" as Iron Man 1 and Thor happens at the same time as Iron Man 2. (That last one I'm pretty sure on, since Agent Culson leaves Tony under the watch of Black Widow as he goes off to take care of something else -namely to go to Thor's hammer.)

Obviously, continuity-wise, Captain America happens "first" since it takes place in the 1940s and the ending takes place presumably shortly before CA is recruited for The Avengers in the present.

Here's the Timeline.

(I had not refreshed myself on it before making the above post which comes from memory.)

15. Admiral_Young

Actually just to be cheeky the stuff with the Norse Gods and their battle with the Frost Giants happens first ;)

16. Trekker4747

Well, of course, but I see that is more "back story" to everything without having much specifically to do with Thor. But cheeky-ness taken. ;)

17. Trekker4747

Quick recap of the "timeline" according to above link:

Prologue for "Thor" (ancient history)
    Captain America (1930s/1940s)
    (Banner Hulk Experiment/TIH "prologue" credit montage.)
    Iron Man
    Events in Iron Man 2, The Incredible Hulk, and Thor largely overlap. Thor is perhaps the "latest" series but most of these movies seem to happen at the same time in the spring of "2010."

Iron Man 2's events end first, then Thor's then TIH. (Though the final TIH "sting" event happens after Thor's ending and before the "present day" events of CA.)

18. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Even though TIM starts before IM2 and ends after it, I still put it after IM2 simply because of Stark's scene at the end, which is of course after he becomes a consultant for SHIELD. And even though Cap is mostly set in the 1940s, I watch it last because the post-credits scene in Thor sets up the tesseract in Cap.

So when I do my own rewatch, my viewing order will be IM1>IM2>TIH>Thor>Cap.

19. Trekker4747

I'm not doing an re-watch of the movies "in order" just as the mood strikes. Thor and Cap have been probably the movies I've seen most recently so they're the ones I'll probably watch last.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I think that depends on how creative the writers, directors and producers of the movies are, the Hulk has always been one of the most active and intersting characters kin MArvel history to my mind.