Logos, logos and some more logos...

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Reverend, Dec 10, 2007.

1. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Nice Logo there :)

2. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Not Star Trek I know, but bugger it, I've been watching allot of B5 lately.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2008
  3. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

^Awesome cool. Not enough B5 art around nowadays.

4. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

No kidding. Finding decent reference material is becoming increasingly difficult.
    [EDIT] and a few more...
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2008
  5. BolianAuthor

BolianAuthor Writer, Battlestar Urantia Rear Admiral

Totally sweet... not nearly enough good B5 stuff, and you did a great job with it.

6. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

got a thing for gradients, huh?

I made this ranger lapel broach

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  7. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Well all of these are all made of vectored objects, so it's either vectored objects or flat colours. Airbrushing and photoshop effects on logos just looks wrong to me.

Oh and the ranger badge I did isn't meant to be to pin, it's the version you see on the flags and the patch on the AoL uniforms.

8. Rÿcher

Rÿcher Fleet Captain

I wasn't trying to one-up you. Just showing the extent of what I can do. Admittedly, not much as you can see.

9. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

shame you spelt 'steer' wrong...

10. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I have to admit, I never cared for the terms "Stellar Navy" or "Space Navy", always sounded a little silly or pompous to me. Thou I realise the etymology of the word Navy doesn't specify if the fleet of ships should float on water (though the word "Ship" probably originally meant hollowed out log) it just seams like such an archaic term and has so much maritime baggage that to me it feels out of place in the context of space travel. Unless of course you're in a universe that intentionally apes Naval tradition for lack of an original idea (shoots a glance at Honour Harrington.)

11. ThomastheCat

ThomastheCat Captain Captain

Ouch! I guess there's no accounting for taste. :)

12. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Am I wrong? ;)

13. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I agree. Fleet, defense force or something along those lines has always seemed more apt in scifi. In fact, it's disappointing to see that space doesn't get original terminology. Apparently, everything is lifted from the 19th century British Navy.

I'm a sucker for logos and patches, Reverend, this is cool stuff. :techman:

14. EliyahuQeoni

EliyahuQeoni Commodore Commodore

Redmond, Oregon, United States of America
    DOH!

I'm not entirely happy with it myself, but I prefer it to just having the "Earth Star Fleet." I like having it more distinct from the Federation Star Fleet.

15. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

I used United Earth Stellar Navy for my Starfleet Museum articles nearly 10 year ago because I wanted to avoid "Starfleet" or any variation of it (ie Star Fleet). I also considered "space force," "star force," and "space fleet" but rejected them for various reason (such as sounding a bit anime-ish, like "UN Spacey")

16. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yeah but you should know by now that I make a habit of disagreeing with you just for the fun of it. ;)
    Having said that, you are correct in that "Stellar Navy" sounds slightly less bonkers than "Space Force," "Star Force," and "Space Fleet". Personally I liked B5's solution of calling it "Earthforce" but that's not quite appropriate for Star Trek. Still, I was always happy with jusy plain old UESPA anyway. For one thing it sounds just clunky and ambiguous enough to have been thought up in a committee.

17. Masao

Masao Commodore Commodore

I'm no smarter than a salivating dog. I can't help myself.

18. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

Years ago, me and a couple other former members of this board and the subspace (now United Worlds) board was working on doing a complete Jane's Ships type book for the ENT era that would include a history and detailed descriptions of the evolution of the Earth Starfleet.

I'd have written the text since I had no artistic skills in regards to technical designs. Anyway, we came up with the original term for Starfleet had been akin to the governmental title for the USN. It would've been United Earth Space Probe Agency, Department of the Star Fleet. The DoSF would've started as a division that later grew into the Earth Starfleet (a shortened version of that original name). Due to fear of a world-wide military force, it was also split up, in our iteration, into three distinctive divisions: Earth Starfleet (what we saw in ENT), the MACOs (also ENT) and the Earth Solar Patrol (a coast-guard like intra-solar fleet). All under the auspicious of the UESPA oversite committee. This was our way of rationalizing why Starfleet was the way it was in ENT.

The logo was similar to the USN seal with the TOS command star instead of the anchor and a red boarder rather than a blue one.

19. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Yes you can!
    Yeah I had a go at extrapolating up from the DY-100 all the way to Masao's Bison-Class. Never got that far with it, but some are still up on JoAT I think. However I always thought most of the early deep space explorers and colony ships should be corporate owned rather than by some united space navy that would magically appear after WWIII.

More B5 logos soon...

20. K'riq Sa

K'riq Sa Commodore

"And I'm Just The Jackass Too Do It"...

Hey Reverand,

What have you got for the Starfleet Rangers? My take was something along these lines...

[​IMG]

You're stuff is awesome and it's hard to pick any certain one that I like there are so many....

logoly,

K'riq Sa
    Minister of the Church of Luminosity