How I Met Your Mother: The Final Season

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by ryan123450, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Campe

Campe Vice Admiral Admiral

I admit, I freaked out last Monday and Tuesday but the more I thought about it, the more I got to thinking they're playing with us. If you were a show runner and there was a persistent fan theory going around for some time, wouldn't you play with the audience just a bit?

I would.

Plus the last episode's title was "Vesuvius." There's really no good reason for this episode name. Why name it after a volcano? Wouldn't you say that the fans blew their tops after that one? It was the reaction they were going for.

I mean, what else? Ted didn't get mad about the movie. Robin didn't get upset like Lily wanted her to. Barney was freaking out a bit but he didn't explode. The entire gang took Ted's leaving really well. Future Ted's reaction was more of a whimper than a bang. People have made the argument that it's saying that it's a moment trapped in time like Pompeii. Okay, I can get behind that. Maybe. But again, going back to the second episode of the season. Ted showboating on the crossword. "Vesuvius! No, that doesn't fit." I really think this episode title is breaking the 4th wall because the creators KNEW putting this point in was going to make us blow our lids.

And it worked.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2014
  2. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

"Daisy":

First half of the episode. Not that great, Ted drawing out the mystery was just getting stupid and annoying.

Second half of the episode: beautiful. totally fooled me. yet another wonderful touching ending.

I figured "Daisy" was going to be Mother's name. I think that's another case of the writers trying to fool us with our assumptions. I'm still hoping for a happy ending.

Random theory: Mother's Mother dies. Ted is crying because she didn't live to see their wedding. Ted knew her and really loved her. He's the more emotional one so he cried and she didn't.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What if the kids are dead?

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Bob Saget said recently in a Reedit AMA that he had recorded all of his lines for the season finale. So he's going to be around, and at least have a presence.

5. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Another great theory I read this morning: The Mother is fine in 2030, but given the establishing that Lily and Marshall have a daughter named Daisy, perhaps Lily is the one who is ill/dies by 2030, (thereby fulfilling the whole "What mother doesn't want to see her daughter get married?" comment and Ted's reaction.)

I mean, if that's what ends up happening, it's not only brilliant lip service to the fan theory but also a way to take back that creative control by the writers.

6. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nobody has to die. I do not want to have buckets of man tears in 3 weeks.

7. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

I'm not saying anyone has to die. It's entirely possible nobody will die. But that doesn't take away from the thrill of the speculation in the lead-up to the finale.

And no, before anyone mangles my words, I'm not saying it's thrilling to wonder who will die. I'm saying when a long-running show comes to an end, especially one as intricate and planned-out as HIMYM, speculation is only natural and can be entertaining to those of us who have watched the show from the very beginning.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

I'm not a huge fan of the show anymore (seasons 1 - 3 were really great, 4 was decent, 5 was OK, and it went off the rails from 6 - 8; season 9 is decent enough, I suppose), but it does amuse me that all the speculation about the finale has basically turned it into How I Met Schrödinger's Mother. :lol:

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Or a parody of Python's parrot.

10. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That was a great ending to Marshall and Lily's story. Very touching. I really liked how they started the Italian conversation with the line about "Bogarting the Funyuns." Great fake out. My wife had the pregnancy thing figured out literally within the first 30 seconds of the episode.

11. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

I thought it might be pregnancy, especially when Ted's smoking theory went against the reveal about Lily's smoking from "Last Cigarette Ever".

At this point, based on all the lines and references people have been citing, it isn't hard to see the "The Mother will die" speculation is coming from. I'm looking forward to seeing this all come together.

12. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

My girlfriend figured out pregnancy instantly as well (the scene with Zabka at the gas station). I had already watched the episode, but I had to bite my tongue when she asked if she was right. Girlfriend is not spoiler-free.

13. Campe

Pictures from the finale. Spoilers, natch.

Big things to notice are the Playbook 2 and a picture of Ted and Robin that is bound to keep the Mother's dead theory going.

14. wissaboo

wissaboo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've been watching the series on netflix.

Did you guys know that they actually made all the websites mentioned on the show?

like Barney's blog and tedmosbyisajerk.com?

15. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

MUST... RESIST... PRESSING... SPOILER BUTTON!!!!! :wtf:

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My thoughts, for what they are worth: It's not that I want the mother to die, it's that her dying is the most logical reason for Ted's reaction after he made the comment about what mother would miss her daughter's wedding. If it's a fake out, they better have a damned good explanation.

With the rumors and Ted's line, I can live with the mother dying, knowing Ted had some great years with her. That's not saying I want her to die, mind you.

However, I feel as if they use that line as a fake out, with a half-assed explanation, that's what I'll remember about the show. It'll be the "there was another world"/"they were dead all along" of this show, for me.

17. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I really and truly hope and ask that everyone is really careful with spoilers in this thread. I absolutely don't want to be spoiled accidentally. Please everyone be careful and considerate. :)

18. Campe

No worries at all. Without going into any detail, I will say that the pictures could be considered extremely spoilery. To all, if you wish to remain truly unspoiled, don't click on my last post in this thread.

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ted was dead the entire show! Marshall's last words, "Rosebud," were in reference to his childhood sled! Lily was Keyser Söze! After an intense laser tag/sword fight, Marvin learns Barney was his real father. Robin is Tyler Durden!

:p

Can't help notice your post came after mine, I hope that's just coincidence and I didn't spoil anything for you! If so, I apologize. But not about the above spoilers, they were all obvious, if you think about it. Especially while "eating" a "sandwich" (the "sandwiches" they "ate" that Ted was always referring to instead of a certain controversial drug, were made of people!).

20. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Although as someone mentioned upthread, it could be Lilly that's dying, that would warrant a similar reaction from Ted. At this point it seems too obvious that it could be the Mother thats dying, which could be a big head fake to the character that we've known for so long.