Strax, Jenny and Vastra (and to a lesser extent River)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Starkers, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Do people think we’ll still see Strax and co once the Doctor regenerates? I think it’s highly unlikely we’ll see River again (aside from Christmas maybe) given The Name of the Doctor, but I do wonder about the others.

I know they divide opinion somewhat on here, but the Paternoster crew are very popular. That said it’s a question of whether they’d be as good a fit for Capaldi’s Doctor as Smith’s, and much as I love em to bits I fear they might not be.

Of course the solution may be for a SJA style spin off that doesn’t (or only rarely) features the doctor.
    What do people think?

2. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I pray we never see them again but unfortunately, I doubt it. For the "detective trio", we'll probably see them a few times in series 8, then when Moffat leaves depending on who takes over, hopefully we'll never see them again, and as for River, she'll probably end up how Brigadier did in the classic series and we'll see her like once for each doctor. Maybe. But I'd say Rivers story's ended really, and unfortunately, we'll probably see the annoying trio again. :(

3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I've said before, I believe as long as Moffat is running the show, River will always be back. And even after he steps down, if he stays around to contribute an episode a year, the possibility for River's return still exists.

As for Vastra and her gang, I'm pretty sure they'll be back. At the very least, having Jenny killed and resurrected implies there are plans to revisit the characters, otherwise they could have just left her dead. In fact, I can see them easily making an appearance in one of Capaldi's first few episodes. Sort of one of those "and now here's something familiar after all the changes we've thrown at you" type things.

4. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

As of SDCC, Moffat was undecided as to whether or not he would revisit River. "It’ll now be story-driven. If we've got an idea that she fits into perfectly then there's no reason why we can't do it, but I quite liked where we got to at the end of 'The Name of the Doctor,' with him saying goodbye to her."

As for the Paternoster Gang, I think their gag is running thin. I accept, however, that mine is a minority view. :)

In both cases, if River and/or the Paternoster Gang must return, I'd like to see someone other than Moffat write the script. "The Crimson Horror" showed that someone else could make the team work, and I'd really like another writer's take on River. Honestly, an uncomplicated, non-timey-wimey River story would do the character wonders. Let's see River in a "normal" story, doing "normal" things.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, Mark Gatiss did a much better job with Vastra and gang than Moffat did in his episodes.

6. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yep. Can almost imagine the joke moment: In a moment of crisis, the Doctor looks at River expectantly, as if expecting her to suddenly pull a rabbit out of her hat...
    "I know, spoilers. Just do something, don'ttell me why.""
    "No really, I don't know anything. Don't you?"
    "No."
    "Really?"
    "Oh great. Nothing timey-wimey to help us out. Just got to cope the old fashioned BORING way..." And then the Doctor does something unexpectedly Doctor-ish, of course.

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Hey there has to be at least one moment in the middle of both their timestreams when River and the Doctor are actually both in sync

8. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I think the trio is virtually guaranteed to be back during series 8, as an intentional carryover. They'll probably be featured early in the season, if not the first story, to aid with the transition.

We may or may not see River again. Much less certain about her. But, the trio, pretty much a guarantee I think.

Mr Awe

9. Green Lantern

Yeah, unfortunately, I don't think they're going away anytime soon. They'll probably be what the UNIT family were to the third and fourth doctors transition. Moffat did say Capaldi's beginning would be a bit like T Bakers first few episodes, so maybe the detective trio will be what UNIT were to the fourth doctor in robot.

Sadly though. Strax has ruined the Sontarans, and the very young viewers will only know Strax and not the other Sontarans stories, so to them, eventually if evil somtrans ever come back, it'll be weird to them.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I don't think Strax has ruined the Sontarans, you only have to look at his change in character in The Name of the Doctor, and I think Sontarans could still be scary, depends how they're written.

11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Agree, the Sontarans are not ruined. Strax is just the exception to the rule!

Mr Awe

12. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Regarding River, I still want Captain Jack and River to be together in an episode. That's the only one that I'd really care about. It would be nice to see her and Capaldi together to see how they interact, but no need to rush into that (let Capaldi establish himself first).

13. Green Lantern

I think he has. I can't take them seriously anymore. Every time I'd watch a Sontaran episode, from now on, I'd probably think of fucking Srtax.

Well with Moffat writing them, they'd be as scary as a little pink bunny rabbit with the word "boo" written on a postet note stuck on its tiny little nose.

Moffat has ruined so much since he's been in. Since he's been in charge, it's been too child friendly. yes it's mainly aimed at families, but even children would find it too tame. Instead it's filled with un-scary episodes with plots so complicated, even intelligent adults get stuck.
    Yeah, I think Capaldi and River will probably work better actually. Seeing they're around the same age.

14. Alidar Jarok

Well, I think the age dynamic worked for Alex Kingston and Matt Smith. It made it different. Because, when you think about it, the Doctor is way older than River Song, so "same age" doesn't matter.

I'm just curious to see how they'd interact. It's why I would have liked to see Matt Smith go up against John Simm, even though I wasn't really thrilled with his portrayal of the Master.

15. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

@Green Lantern Heh, I've never really been able to take the Spud Heads seriously as it was, so, I've got no problem with Strax, it's refreshing to see a different personality, and they were never very fierce-some seeming to me anyways

16. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

i think it would be interesting to see 12 and River interact for an episode. Strax, Jenny and Vastra...i like those characters...but if 12 says goodbye like the 4th ran away from UNIT, well i wouldn't be too upset.

17. Alidar Jarok

I think they should come back only if the episode is spectacular. In my mind, they're very associated with Matt Smith simply because of A Good Man Goes to War. Because of that, they don't need to associate themselves with a different Doctor.

18. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could go with at least one more River story. I keep thinking that after all the times we've seen her, we still don't know anythign about what makes her tick. I keep hoping she'll get that one good story where we'll finally get a chance to see just what the Doctor sees in her. It would actually be interesting to have her meet a Doctor that she can't fluster.

As for Vastra and the others, they're characters I don't see myself ever getting tired of.

19. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

20. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam